Portland Gestapo Ask Homeowners, Businesses To Register Surveillance Cameras

Old April 28th 17, 05:55 PM posted to alt.law-enforcement,or.politics,alt.survival,rec.photo.digital,sac.politics
a425couple

Default Portland Gestapo Ask Homeowners, Businesses To Register Surveillance Cameras

"Leroy N. Soetoro" wrote in message ...
http://www.opb.org/news/article/port...-surveillance-
camera-registry/?google_editors_picks=true

The Portland Police Bureau is asking homeowners and businesses with
security cameras to register them - so cops can quickly investigate
crimes.

Police say the registry program is voluntary and cameras can be removed
from the registry at any time.
Also, registering doesn't mean police have automatic access to footage on
the cameras.

Some privacy groups have spoken out against the idea, saying it
contributes to a feeling that Big Brother is always watching.

The idea sounds good - a voluntary registering with
owners right of refusal.

As to
contributes to a feeling that Big Brother is always watching.

well, someone is very often watching.
And irritatingly, it generally is some one interested in
slamming all types of authority & getting rich.

Old April 30th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 15:10:41 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 28 April 2017 12:56:46 UTC-4, a425couple wrote:
"Leroy N. Soetoro" wrote in message ...
http://www.opb.org/news/article/port...-surveillance-
camera-registry/?google_editors_picks=true

The Portland Police Bureau is asking homeowners and businesses with
security cameras to register them - so cops can quickly investigate
crimes.

Police say the registry program is voluntary and cameras can be removed
from the registry at any time.
Also, registering doesn't mean police have automatic access to footage on
the cameras.

Some privacy groups have spoken out against the idea, saying it
contributes to a feeling that Big Brother is always watching.

The idea sounds good - a voluntary registering with
owners right of refusal.

Meanwhile, you name if you refuse goes in the same database as those considered to be "trouble-makers."

You hvae gone off half-cocked in several directions at once. :-)

The idea of registering the cameras is so that the powers that be will
know about them.

If you don't register your camera the powers that be will *not* know
about it. Therefore they cannot put it on a list of any kind.

I can add that if they can put it on a list of troublemakers then they
do know it exists and *can* put it on a list of known surveilance
cameras.

Eric Stevens
Old April 30th 17, 01:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Does that mean several instances of nothing happen all over, all at once?

Savageduck

Old April 30th 17, 01:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

Do you suppose the friendly officer might give you a break
at that next speed trap scam?

learn how to find and avoid them.
Old April 30th 17, 02:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Savageduck" wrote

| Do you suppose the friendly officer might give you a break
| at that next speed trap scam?
|
| You have a very twisted view of reality, and I am sure that you would
| not hesitate to call 911 when you have a need for law enforcement or
| other emergency services.

It's all true. I have nothing against cops. It is
a tough job. At the same time, they get very good
benefits. (At least where I live. They're gov't workers,
which are just about the only people still getting
pensions.) Every once in awhile the local papers
publish the astonishing overtime pay. some in
boston making 300K+ with overtime. Mass seems to
be the only state where, thanks to state police
lobbying, an actual cop is required to be in attendance
for all road work. They sit there in their cars, lights
flashing. Required by law.
When I was a teenager I worked at a drugstore.
At least half the local cops expected to come in and
get whatever they wanted for a token price. I asked
the pharmacist about it. He said if we didn't pay them
off they wouldn't show up if there was a break-in.
Though there was one detective who absolutely
refused any discount.
I've never met a fireman who didn't have a second
job. High risk, yes. But enough free time for two jobs.

For you to deny those things would be immature, just
as it would be unreasonable for me, as a contractor,
to contest the fact that plenty of contractors cheat
people. In neither case are the stereotypes the norm,
but in both cases the nature of the job lends itself to
fulfilling those stereotypes.

The last cop I talked to was the one who caught me
in a speed trap scam several years ago. He started
asking all sorts of questions, like where was I going?
Who did I work for? I finally said none of his questions
had anything to do with my infraction. He got haughty
and wrote me extra tickets, for a dirty license plate
and not wearing a seat belt. He didn't pretend that
he wasn't lying about that. I was wearing a seatbelt.
He just smiled and challenged me to argue with him
again. I contested the ticket and won, but the fees
cost me about the same as the ticket!
Everyone knows the only way to get along with such
cops is to grovel. They need to be boss. It's happened
to me time and again. Of course it doesn't happen every
time. My next door neighbor is a retired cop. Very
sweet guy. And if I need to I'll call 911. and I'll appreciate
the help. So please don't get all high and mighty about
respect for cops. To ignore the potential for corruption
would be naive and dangerous.

Old April 30th 17, 03:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

The last cop I talked to was the one who caught me
in a speed trap scam several years ago.

How was it a "scam"? If the speed limit was posted, and you were
exceeding the posted limit, you were not scammed.

speed traps exist solely for revenue generation purposes, not safety,
making it a scam.

furthermore, most speed limits are deliberately set lower than they
should be so that more tickets can be written, thereby increasing
revenue.

At one time there were a number of semi-legitimate speed traps in
Florida. Small towns that depended on traffic fines did things like
dropping the limit from 65 mph to 30 mph without any advance signage
and around a bend in the highway. A motorist unfamiliar with the
situation would be in the 30 mph area before he knew it, and the local
cop would be sitting right on the line. Most of those local
situations no longer exist today, though.

easily challenged in court. they know that few people will bother.

That kind of speed trap is usually the bright idea of the city
politicians who want ways to increase the city income, not the idea of
the police who have to enforce it.

in other words, a scam.
Old April 30th 17, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-30 01:32:09 +0000, "Mayayana" said:

"Savageduck" wrote

| Do you suppose the friendly officer might give you a break
| at that next speed trap scam?
|
| You have a very twisted view of reality, and I am sure that you would
| not hesitate to call 911 when you have a need for law enforcement or
| other emergency services.

It's all true.

In your mind, and as portrayed in fantasy.

I have nothing against cops.

Apparantly you do.

It is a tough job.

Yup!

At the same time, they get very good
benefits. (At least where I live. They're gov't workers,
which are just about the only people still getting
pensions.)

As I have said, I cannot complain about the benefits I earned while I
worked, and my pension was also earned, and not without my monthly
contribution (we do not get Social Security, just MediCare). I also
contributed to my 457 and 401 accounts.

Every once in awhile the local papers
publish the astonishing overtime pay. some in
boston making 300K+ with overtime.

There are overtime hogs everywhere. However, not all of that overtime
is voluntary. Many times officers are ordered over due to staff
shortages, and unanticipated incidents.

Mass seems to
be the only state where, thanks to state police
lobbying, an actual cop is required to be in attendance
for all road work. They sit there in their cars, lights
flashing. Required by law.

That depends on the State. On California State routes, and some
Interstates where major work is in progress, and sometimes (but, not
all times) when CalTrans is engaged in work on State/Interstate Hwys
You might find a CHP officer in attendance. There is a reason for that:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/paffairs/workersmemorial/worker-fatality-statistics.html
https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/wz/resources/facts_stats/safety.htm

When I was a teenager I worked at a drugstore.
At least half the local cops expected to come in and
get whatever they wanted for a token price. I asked
the pharmacist about it. He said if we didn't pay them
off they wouldn't show up if there was a break-in.

When you were a teenager, where? I don't doubt that you experience that
sort of corruption. However, today, that in my experience is the
exception rather than the rule.

Though there was one detective who absolutely
refused any discount.

A man of ethics.

I've never met a fireman who didn't have a second
job. High risk, yes. But enough free time for two jobs.

I don't know what sort of FD they worked for, but I would take into
consideration the type of schedule they worked. Different departments
work different schedules. Some work 24 hours on, 24 hours off, with 2
consecutive days off every two weeks. Some work far more grueling
schedules with 4 x 24 hour days on, and 3 days off. Not many have the
energy for that extra job.

For you to deny those things would be immature,

Deny what things? That some firemen work a second job when they are not
scheduled to work? Sure that happens, but that is not what most of
those folks do, it is only what you believe ALL of them do. That is
your particular prejudice. In my case, I was subject to being ordered
over for additional hours due to staff shortage or unexpected incident.
I have also been called back, and ordered in to work hours after
getting home. It is not a 9 to 5 job with weekends and holidays off.

just as it would be unreasonable for me, as a contractor,
to contest the fact that plenty of contractors cheat
people. In neither case are the stereotypes the norm,
but in both cases the nature of the job lends itself to
fulfilling those stereotypes.

My point exactly, and also not every public employee, cop, firefighter,
road worker, or DMV desk jockey is corrupt.

The last cop I talked to was the one who caught me
in a speed trap scam several years ago. He started
asking all sorts of questions, like where was I going?
Who did I work for? I finally said none of his questions
had anything to do with my infraction. He got haughty
and wrote me extra tickets, for a dirty license plate
and not wearing a seat belt. He didn't pretend that
he wasn't lying about that. I was wearing a seatbelt.
He just smiled and challenged me to argue with him
again. I contested the ticket and won, but the fees
cost me about the same as the ticket!

So, you encountered an asshole cop. They exist, and they should lose
their jobs. Many do.

What you should have done is file a formal Citizen's Complaint. Most
every law enforcement ageny has a means to formally file a Citizen's
Complaint. Check your State DOJ, and Municipal/City PD web sites for
more info.
For Mass. for example there is this.
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/msp/citizen-concerns.html

Everyone knows the only way to get along with such
cops is to grovel. They need to be boss. It's happened
to me time and again. Of course it doesn't happen every
time. My next door neighbor is a retired cop. Very
sweet guy. And if I need to I'll call 911. and I'll appreciate
the help. So please don't get all high and mighty about
respect for cops. To ignore the potential for corruption
would be naive and dangerous.

I am not getting "high and mighty about respect for cops". When it
comes to respect, cops like anybody else need to earn that respect.
However, you seem to have some ingrained prejudices against law
enforcement officers and other public employees. That I take issue with
because that is not how I conducted myself in Law enforcement for 25
years, and it is not how the vast majority of officers, and
firefighters I have worked with, conduct themselves.

Savageduck

Old April 30th 17, 07:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 30/04/2017 01:55, Savageduck wrote:
At one point I worked two 18 hour days in a row and on the drive home I
fell asleep at the wheel with this result.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dphxmzh5p3ihkt2/Ford_12.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/chwxl7cfn6pvmng/Ford_15.JPG

Oops!

I hope you were not badly hurt.

I wish you a long and happy retirement. :-)

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Old April 30th 17, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-30 06:36:14 +0000, "David B." said:

On 30/04/2017 01:55, Savageduck wrote:
At one point I worked two 18 hour days in a row and on the drive home I
fell asleep at the wheel with this result.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dphxmzh5p3ihkt2/Ford_12.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/chwxl7cfn6pvmng/Ford_15.JPG

Oops!

Oops indeed.

I hope you were not badly hurt.

I was lucky.
The car performed a barrel roll, and ended up on the roof. It then slid
into an embankment on the opposite side of the road, that triggered the
airbags. The airbag blew my right hand off the steering wheel, and up
through the now shattered sunroof. Unfortunately the car was still
sliding on the roof, so my right hand got chewed up quite a bit,
nothing broken. Just a lot like raw ham.
Along with the airbag working, the seatbelt worked pretty good. I was
left hanging upside down, and got a wicked seatbelt burn across my left
collarbone and chest. The hand injury kept me out of work for two
weeks. It healed up nicely, and all is well. That was back in 1995.

I wish you a long and happy retirement. :-)

So far so good. I pulled the plug in 2009 to become a member of the
Great Army of The Gainfully Unemployed.

Savageduck

Old April 30th 17, 08:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.

On 2017-04-30 06:36:14 +0000, "David B."
said:

On 30/04/2017 01:55, Savageduck wrote:
At one point I worked two 18 hour days in a row and on the drive home
I fell asleep at the wheel with this result.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dphxmzh5p3ihkt2/Ford_12.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/chwxl7cfn6pvmng/Ford_15.JPG

Oops!

Oops indeed.

I hope you were not badly hurt.

I was lucky.

YOU WERE!

The car performed a barrel roll, and ended up on the roof. It then slid
into an embankment on the opposite side of the road, that triggered the
airbags. The airbag blew my right hand off the steering wheel, and up
through the now shattered sunroof. Unfortunately the car was still
sliding on the roof, so my right hand got chewed up quite a bit, nothing
broken. Just a lot like raw ham.
Along with the airbag working, the seatbelt worked pretty good. I was
left hanging upside down, and got a wicked seatbelt burn across my left
collarbone and chest. The hand injury kept me out of work for two weeks.
It healed up nicely, and all is well. That was back in 1995.

Thanks for explaining what happened. I guess your guardian angel was
working long hours too ...... on your behalf! I'm so pleased that you
were not badly hurt.

I wish you a long and happy retirement. :-)

So far so good. I pulled the plug in 2009 to become a member of the
Great Army of The Gainfully Unemployed.

Do you participate on Facebook? I find it great for sharing photographs.

I spend FAR too much time in front of a screen. You may be interested in
reading this article about Microsoft's newest toy:-

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/surface-studio

For now, I'll stick with my iMac! ;-)

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)