Nikon D70 question

Old December 22nd 05, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Nikon D70 question

The Nikon Speedlight SB-80DX seems to only work when the flash is set to
"A". I usually set it to TTL when I use it on my F100.

The shutter will only release with the flash set to that position.
Otherwise the ISO Auto will flash and the box beneath the battery bar
will flash also.

Any suggestions?

Susan

Old December 22nd 05, 05:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Get the Nikon SB-800. If you often use a flash with the D70, it's definitely
worth the money.

For more see http://www.dpreview.com/news/0307/03...nikonsb800.asp

Gregor

Old December 22nd 05, 06:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Susan writes:
Yes, but why spend the extra money if I already have 2 SB-80's. I
usually keep it on TTL with the F100 when I shoot weddings.

The SB80 doesn't support TTL on DSLR's because of the need for
preflash. I thought someone explained that already. You need the
SB600 or SB800, preferably the SB800. They also support the iTTL
wireless remote flash system directly, which needed a lot of expensive
accessories in the SB80 era, so you'll probably find it's worth it.
Old December 22nd 05, 07:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

D70 send iTTL signal and SB-80DX only understands TTL and dTTL signal, hence
only A[ ambient mode as I like to call it] or M mode that works.

If you already invested in a lot of SB-80DX before, use them as slave flash.
You can never get enough of them OR buy D2x or D200 .. I heard they can send
dTTL signal too.

=bob=

Old December 22nd 05, 12:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Susan wrote:
The Nikon Speedlight SB-80DX seems to only work when the flash is set
to "A". I usually set it to TTL when I use it on my F100.

Just a clarification for you.

With film, the TTL exposure is measured reflecting off the film during
the exposure. The problem with digital is the sensor is more reflective
and won't give consistent results. The manufacturers have overcome
this problem by designing a system that fires a preflash to measure the
exposure before the mirror flips up. Nikon calls this system iTTL.

To get TTL flash you have to use one of the new flashes SB600 or SB800
that support iTTL. The old flashes will only work in auto or manual.

-Mike

Old December 22nd 05, 12:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I use my SB27 and SB24 in manual mode, or flash-auto mode (if I'm only
using one at a time), and I've bought a couple of those
optically-triggered slave-cells. Works fine on my D50 (set to manual),
and eschews the latest trend in vendor-lock-in proprietary new-fangled
aren't-flashguns-mysterious uncertainty and doubt. And it's cheaper,
seeing as I already own the expensive bits since about 8 and 16 years
ago.

I was intending to use pc-sync cables but they're inexplicably
expensive now, and more or less equated to the cost of the slave cells,
if you factor in the male-female adaptors and the multi-flash
distribution widgets, etc. and the dodginess of the sockets not making
contact because they inevitably get trodden on.

Old December 22nd 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article .com,
"Ian Tindale" wrote:

I use my SB27 and SB24 in manual mode, or flash-auto mode (if I'm
only using one at a time),

I have an SB-24. Am I correct in believing that even in auto mode, it
will not zoom or change its f/stop automatically from a D70s camera?

I understand why it won't work in TTL mode with digital cameras, but
exactly what auto features does it retain?

The built-in flash is adequate for most of my needs, so I probably won't
buy another flash unit for it, but since I have the SB-24, I'll probably
use it at times.
Old December 22nd 05, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Susan" wrote in message
The Nikon Speedlight SB-80DX seems to only work when the flash is set to
"A". I usually set it to TTL when I use it on my F100.

The shutter will only release with the flash set to that position.
Otherwise the ISO Auto will flash and the box beneath the battery bar will
flash also.

Any suggestions?

Susan

Consult page 188 of the D70 manual.