I really want to like the Nikon 8800, but... help please. (long)

Old January 20th 05, 08:03 PM
Joseph Miller

Default I really want to like the Nikon 8800, but... help please. (long)

My first digital camera was a Nikon CP950, and it was excellent,
providing me with 1000's of nicely exposed, perfectly focused pictures.
I next bought a Canon S400 for more pixels and extreme portability and
now have the S500, having given my wife the S400. The S500 takes superb
images (the camera performance still amazes me!), and 14x17 inch prints
are very sharp. However, my goal has always been something like 8 mpx
in part to allow for small crops, a much longer zoom, and vibration
reduction (VR). Also, I thought it would be nice to have some extras,
like a movie mode, time-lapse, long night-time exposures, and so on. For
me the definition of a good camera is a camera that you have with you.
I looked at the Canon 20D loved its sophistication and quality. But
it's big. My last and best film camera was a Canon EOS 10s, a great
camera that I didn't even take on vacations after a while; I dreaded
lugging it around. So... I thought the Nikon 8800 could be the answer
to my dreams. It has everything I wanted, and it wasn't too big.
However, I tried one out for a while in a camera store, and I was
annoyed by the shutter lag and the hunting around for focus at full
telephoto. These things of course have been major complaints about the
camera, but the CP950 is no speed demon, and speed never bothered me
with it. Neither did lack of higher ISOs. But I comapered the 8800 to
the Panasonic FZ20, and the latter just seemed to be snappier and more
responsive in my hands. The 8800 seemed sluggish in comparison. maybe
I expect much more than when I bought my CP950.

So, on to my questions. For those of you that own Nikon 8800s and have
used them for a while, how annoying have you found this sluggishness?
Has it interferred with getting pictures you want? Have you just
developed techniques that more or less unconsciously allow you to
compensate for shutter lag so that you hardly notice it (that's what
happened to me on my 950).

Any comments would be appreciated. The ideal thing would be to rent one
for a day and do a lot of shooting, but there doesn't seem to be
anyplace around here that does that. Also, I just may try to be patient
and wait to see what Canon's next move will be. I think they will have
to offer something competitive to the 8800.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 20th 05, 09:28 PM
Canongirly

" Also, I just may try to be patient
and wait to see what Canon's next move will be. I think they will have
to offer something competitive to the 8800.

Thanks in advance.

have a look at the Canon S1-pro.

Old January 20th 05, 09:40 PM
Ben Thomas

Joseph Miller wrote:

So, on to my questions. For those of you that own Nikon 8800s and have
used them for a while, how annoying have you found this sluggishness?
Has it interferred with getting pictures you want? Have you just
developed techniques that more or less unconsciously allow you to
compensate for shutter lag so that you hardly notice it (that's what
happened to me on my 950).

I've got a Kodak DX6490. It's bloody slow compared to a DSLR, and its slowness
often results in out of focus or completely missed shots. I will buy a Pentax
DSLR before May to replace it. I will continue to use the Kodak for landscape
photography, but it's no where near up to the task of trying to take photos of
my 15 month old daughter running around the room.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Old January 20th 05, 09:49 PM
Canongirly

"Joseph Miller" wrote in message
Sorry got the camera name wrong i meant this one

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...canon_pro1.asp

Old January 21st 05, 01:48 AM
Joseph Miller

Sorry got the camera name wrong i meant this one

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...canon_pro1.asp

I took a hard look at that camera and had two major reservations:

With the long telephoto, I would really like vibration reduction. It is
great on the 8800. If it had VR, I'd probably buy it immediately.

Noise is visible starting at ISO 100. That's not too good.

The eternal problem. Nothing is perfect! I don't feel an urgency to buy
right now, so I'll give it a while.

Thanks for reminding mne about the Canon.

Joe
Old January 21st 05, 10:39 AM
David J Taylor

Joseph Miller wrote:
But I comapered the 8800 to the Panasonic FZ20,
and the latter just seemed to be snappier and more responsive in my
hands. The 8800 seemed sluggish in comparison. maybe I expect much
more than when I bought my CP950.

I went for the Panasonic FZ20 instead - at maximum zoom its lens is f/2.8
rather than the f/2.9 of the Nikon. 5MP was enough, and it costs much
less, of course. If you want an image-stabilised camera that's even
smaller taking AA batteries and CF cards, the Canon S1 IS is another
possibility. It is only 3.2MP, though.

By the way: there is a new newsgroup where these type of cameras (ZLR) can
be discussed:
rec.photo.digital.zlr
You'd be welcome!

Cheers,
David

Old January 21st 05, 11:08 AM
David J Taylor

David J Taylor wrote:
[]
I went for the Panasonic FZ20 instead - at maximum zoom its lens is
f/2.8 rather than the f/2.9 of the Nikon.

Should read:
I went for the Panasonic FZ20 instead - at maximum zoom its lens is f/2.8
rather than the f/4.9 of the Nikon.

Old January 21st 05, 08:45 PM
Joseph Miller

By the way: there is a new newsgroup where these type of cameras (ZLR) can
be discussed:
rec.photo.digital.zlr
You'd be welcome!

The last time I went there, a week or two ago, it was so dead that I
didn't find much of interest.

Nikon 8800 Nancy C Kenfield Digital Photography 5 February 8th 05 12:28 AM
Nikon Coolpix 8800 PaulH Digital Photography 5 January 20th 05 06:11 AM
Nikon 8800 Evon Digital Photography 0 January 12th 05 11:21 AM
[ZLR] Nikon Coolpix 8800 with VR built in Alan Browne Digital Photography 31 September 19th 04 10:55 AM
Nikon D100 long exposures - Help! Anonymous Digital Photography 16 August 17th 04 12:31 PM