Stereo Image Adapter

Old November 15th 04, 03:01 PM
Collin Brendemuehl

Default Stereo Image Adapter

Does anyone make a stereo adapter other than the collectably-priced
Pentax unit?
I'd like to the the 4x5 & have some creative fun with it &
create images for a stereo-opticon type viewer.
The Pentax unit wold be perfect as it's 49mm & would fit right on my
Rodenstock Ysarex 135mm. Normal lens to normal lens, should work.
But they sell often well over $100.
Other options? Are there kits/projects out there?
Old November 15th 04, 04:06 PM
Peter Irwin

Collin Brendemuehl wrote:
Does anyone make a stereo adapter other than the collectably-priced
Pentax unit?
I'd like to the the 4x5 & have some creative fun with it &
create images for a stereo-opticon type viewer.
The Pentax unit wold be perfect as it's 49mm & would fit right on my
Rodenstock Ysarex 135mm. Normal lens to normal lens, should work.
But they sell often well over $100.
Other options? Are there kits/projects out there?

The Zenit kit from the former USSR is available quite cheaply.

I do not know how good it is.

Peter.

Old November 15th 04, 05:50 PM
Brian Reynolds

Collin Brendemuehl wrote:
Does anyone make a stereo adapter other than the collectably-priced
Pentax unit? I'd like to the the 4x5 & have some creative fun with
it & create images for a stereo-opticon type viewer. The Pentax unit
wold be perfect as it's 49mm & would fit right on my Rodenstock
Ysarex 135mm. Normal lens to normal lens, should work. But they
sell often well over $100. Other options? Are there kits/projects
out there?

The Pentax stereo adapter and viewer are meant to be used for taking
35mm stereo pairs. Although it will fit any lens with a 49mm filter
thread (and I think there was another version for a different filter
size), I doubt it will work for 4x5.

I have taken some 4x5 stereo pairs by using a slide bar. The Bogen
3273 Universal Sliding Plate works well. I take two exposures on
separate sheets of film. This only works well for static subjects.
Movement between exposures causes retinal rivalry. I've used a mirror
viewer (sort of like the Pentax stereo adapter in reverse) to view
these slides on a light box.

Modern LF cameras have small lensboards and a tapered bellows which
tends to prevent using the traditional stereo method of using two
lenses and an internal septum.

There are many people still doing stereo photography, but most of them
use 35mm, and some use MF. There are people building improved
versions of the Tri-Delta (another stereo adapter) for 35mm and
digicams.

MF (6x6) is considered to be the largest film format that is practical
without forcing the person viewing the images to diverge their eyes
(painful), or use complicated viewers to converge the images to the
eye spacing. Larger formats need to use prisms (e.g., prismatic
lenses in Holmes viewers) or mirrors for comfortable viewing. A
Sputnik can be had for $100, and then needs to be tuned (internal
flocking, fix light leaks, ensure synchronization of focus and
exposure) for best results.

Rocky Mountain Memories URL:http://www.rmm3d.com/ (35mm and MF
supplies) has a useful information section to help you get started.

Berezin Stereo Photography Products URL:http://www.berezin.com/3d/
also sells various stereo viewers and adapters.

The photo-3d mailing list has people building all sorts of stereo
widgets. You can subscribe by sending email to
".

--
Brian Reynolds | "It's just like flying a spaceship.
| You push some buttons and see
http://www.panix.com/~reynolds/ | what happens." -- Zapp Brannigan
NAR# 54438 |
Old November 15th 04, 05:50 PM