Linhof Technika optical viewers

Old October 31st 04, 06:47 PM
jjs

Default Linhof Technika optical viewers

I have read some posts regarding the differences between the old and new
Linhof Technika viewfinder but it's still unclear.

The old version (which I have) makes the image smaller to show the longer
focal lenses. It ain't bad, but... does the new one keep the image frame the
same size - does it really 'zoom'? And if it does zoom, does the eye-relief
to the rear change? In other words, do you have to move your eye in or back
to resolve the zoom effect?

Old October 31st 04, 06:56 PM
Bob Salomon

In article , "jjs"
wrote:

I have read some posts regarding the differences between the old and new
Linhof Technika viewfinder but it's still unclear.

The old version (which I have) makes the image smaller to show the longer
focal lenses. It ain't bad, but... does the new one keep the image frame the
same size - does it really 'zoom'?

Yes
And if it does zoom, does the eye-relief
to the rear change? In other words, do you have to move your eye in or back
to resolve the zoom effect?

No

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Old October 31st 04, 08:10 PM
jjs

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message
[... resolved - the new finder is a true zoom with no eye-relief issues
...]

Thanks, Bob. I'll be saving my pennies for the new version.

Old November 13th 04, 02:04 PM
JPMOSE

This is interesting. As far as I knew, the optical viewfinder style that
was supplied from the early 1950's until around 1972 zoomed as well. It
is accomplished with a slide bar. Also, the use of a 75mm lens (in the
case of the 9x12/4x5 viewfinder) required a slip-on mask. In 1972, the
same timeframe as the Master Technika was introduced, the optical
viewfinder now zoomed by rotating the rear cell; was capable of zooming
down to a 75mm view (w/o an adaptor) providing less distortion than the
previous slip-on adaptor; AND had coated lenses. The appearance was
modernised in the early 1980s to all black and has remained unchanged
since.

When I lived in Fort Worth, TX up until 10/03, I would go out shooting
with a friend who has a Super Technika V with the earlier style
viewfinder. I have a later style. We both agreed that the later one has
a clear image, resulting from the coated optics. We both have 75mm
Biogons and agreed that the later style had a less distorted image.

I hope this helps.

Old November 13th 04, 02:18 PM
Bob Salomon

In article
outphotography.com,
"JPMOSE" wrote:

[...]

You missed the fact that the type that slides apart is a cropping type
finder. At wide angle the image is large but when you get to 360mm the
image is about the size of your small finger nail.

The later type (current) zooms the image so you have a large image area
at 75mm as well as at 360mm so composing is easier and more accurate.

Both types use slip-on masks but masks for the later version will not
fit the older versions.

The current version goes to 75mm with no adapters. Some earlier ones
require an adapter. There are no adapters left.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old November 13th 04, 04:08 PM
jjs

"Bob Salomon" wrote in message

You missed the fact that the type that slides apart is a cropping type
finder. At wide angle the image is large but when you get to 360mm the
image is about the size of your small finger nail.

The later type (current) zooms the image so you have a large image area
at 75mm as well as at 360mm so composing is easier and more accurate.

I wish I had known that when an eBay seller replied to me "No Linhoff finder
ever zoomed". He lost his sale of the new style. To me, at least.