Shutters & high speed setting

Old November 10th 04, 04:39 PM
jjs

Default Shutters & high speed setting

Perhaps I've just had some bad luck, but have any of you experienced early
shutter failures after using the highest speed? (1/500 and 1/400th, for
example) a lot? I'm preparing a 4x5 for some aerial photos and darned if I
didn't trash the shutter while testing it that way.

Old November 10th 04, 05:58 PM
Jean-David Beyer

jjs wrote:
Perhaps I've just had some bad luck, but have any of you experienced early
shutter failures after using the highest speed? (1/500 and 1/400th, for
example) a lot? I'm preparing a 4x5 for some aerial photos and darned if I
didn't trash the shutter while testing it that way.

I never have, but I do not use the highest speeds all that much. I do test
them at those speeds once in a while. I have an old Copal #1 (choice of M
or X synch) and a new Copal #1 (X synch only) and relatively new Copal
#0. I also have an old Compur that goes up to 1/200 sec. It is pretty good
at that speed. Tested with Calumet shutter speed tester. If you do not
follow the instructions for that tester very carefully, you will get very
misleading readings at higher shutter speeds. I do not know about other
shutter speed testers.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 12:55:00 up 18 days, 15:48, 3 users, load average: 4.56, 4.36, 4.24

Old November 10th 04, 07:57 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"jjs" wrote in message
Perhaps I've just had some bad luck, but have any of you experienced early
shutter failures after using the highest speed? (1/500 and 1/400th, for
example) a lot? I'm preparing a 4x5 for some aerial photos and darned if

didn't trash the shutter while testing it that way.

Did you try to set the speed after cocking the shutter? Seem to remember
seeing instructions against doing things in that order.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old November 11th 04, 12:16 AM
jjs

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message ...
"jjs" wrote in message
Perhaps I've just had some bad luck, but have any of you experienced
early
shutter failures after using the highest speed? (1/500 and 1/400th, for
example) a lot? I'm preparing a 4x5 for some aerial photos and darned if

didn't trash the shutter while testing it that way.

Did you try to set the speed after cocking the shutter? Seem to remember
seeing instructions against doing things in that order.

No, I did not do that, but it is certainly a good point for the rest to
consider!

Old November 11th 04, 02:32 AM
Richard Knoppow

"jjs" wrote in message
Perhaps I've just had some bad luck, but have any of you
experienced early shutter failures after using the highest
speed? (1/500 and 1/400th, for example) a lot? I'm
preparing a 4x5 for some aerial photos and darned if I
didn't trash the shutter while testing it that way.

What kind of shutter is this. If you don't know for
certain what kind of camera is it on?
Also, what do you mean by "failure"? Has the shutter
stopped working completely?
In general the answer is that using the highest speed
should not damage the shutter although it stresses the parts
more than the lower speeds. That may result in a shorter
life for the shutter but not failure. About the only
exceptions I can think of are the Graphic-1000 shutter and
the Kodak 800, both of which have problems. However neither
is made in the same way as a conventional shutter.
The reason for not changing speeds on older Compur
shutters when they are cocked has to do with the booster
spring used for the highest speed. If the speed is pushed up
to the highest speed while this spring is tensioned it can
be pushed under the speed cam. The Kodak Supermatic has the
same problem. Later Compurs, of the type used in LVS cameras
can be left cocked all the time and speeds changed at will.
They have only a single spring, which is partially tensioned
all the time whether the shutter is cocked or not. All LVS
Rolleiflexes and all front shutter Hasselblads have this
type of shutter.

--
---
Richard Knoppow