7dayshop - now with VAT

Old July 30th 04, 09:13 PM
ejb

Default 7dayshop - now with VAT

"Matthew" wrote

As of 6pm this afternoon it appears that 7dayshop has faced up to the
realities of customs & excise, and they are charging VAT on all items
above £17.99.... It seems that they were ripping off their customers
at the expense of the taxman,

(snip)

How were they "ripping off their customers" ?

Old July 30th 04, 10:32 PM
Your-nice

I just got a 75 to 300 lens from them £119 but had to pay £20 to get it from
the post office customs charge, and the post office charged £4 so it really
cost £143.

"Matthew" wrote in message
om...
As of 6pm this afternoon it appears that 7dayshop has faced up to the
realities of customs & excise, and they are charging VAT on all items
above £17.99.... It seems that they were ripping off their customers
at the expense of the taxman, as the canon a75 I ordered on Sunday
(which incidentally has not yet arrived, so I don't know whether I
will be hit with a nasty surprise (if so can I refuse the delivery,
cancel the order and buy it at the new price?)) is now £152.75, which
is only 11.5% more than the price I paid, which suggests that either
they were making a lot of money before, or they are cutting their
margins even further than ever before to stay competitive in the
legitimate world of taxed goods.

Anyway, goods priced around £18 are very keenly priced now those over
this price are likely to be as cheap elsewhere.

Old July 31st 04, 08:45 AM
Matthew

"ejb" wrote in message ...
"Matthew" wrote

As of 6pm this afternoon it appears that 7dayshop has faced up to the
realities of customs & excise, and they are charging VAT on all items
above £17.99.... It seems that they were ripping off their customers
at the expense of the taxman,

(snip)

How were they "ripping off their customers" ?

By not passing on the full 17.5% VAT saving before. Like those duty
free shops in airports - the lack of tax makes the product look
incredibly cheap, but in fact they are making £3 or £4 per item per
more profit than other shops would.

Old July 31st 04, 09:32 AM
A.Lee

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 00:45:50 -0700, Matthew wrote:

"ejb" wrote in message ...
"Matthew" wrote

As of 6pm this afternoon it appears that 7dayshop has faced up to the
realities of customs & excise, and they are charging VAT on all items
above £17.99.... It seems that they were ripping off their customers
at the expense of the taxman,

How were they "ripping off their customers" ?

By not passing on the full 17.5% VAT saving before. Like those duty
free shops in airports - the lack of tax makes the product look
incredibly cheap, but in fact they are making £3 or £4 per item per
more profit than other shops would.

Thats comical.They sell stuff cheaper than anywhere else.Now you moan as
you think they should sell it even cheaper.
They are ripping off no-one - not even the taxman.
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

Old July 31st 04, 09:35 AM
Lostin1999

"Matthew" wrote in message
m...
"ejb" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote

As of 6pm this afternoon it appears that 7dayshop has faced up to the
realities of customs & excise, and they are charging VAT on all items
above £17.99.... It seems that they were ripping off their customers
at the expense of the taxman,

(snip)

How were they "ripping off their customers" ?

By not passing on the full 17.5% VAT saving before. Like those duty
free shops in airports - the lack of tax makes the product look
incredibly cheap, but in fact they are making £3 or £4 per item per
more profit than other shops would.

that's just good business practice.. hardly ripping you off....

Lost

Old July 31st 04, 10:16 AM
Mark Dunn

You can't refuse- the duty is allowed for in their terms and conditions. I
read them- that's why I bought my c725 from pixmania. More money but
predictable.
om...