Printing Lab Paper

Old May 7th 06, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Printing Lab Paper

Hi
I notice that some printing labs print on photo paper that have the words
"professional" and "copyright" printed on the back.

Are these papers "better" then the usual papers labs use for their prints?
If yes what's better about them? I mean will a good lab be able to print
quality work using regular photo paper?

Thanks

Old May 7th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Yes, I think they are better papers, but it isn't just the paper.

One lab I use uses Kodak Endura Pro and the other uses Kodak Supreme.
I am happy with both but I would give the edge to Endura. However,
what I think the real difference is, is that the one that uses Endura
is a small, custom lab and the other is much larger. Labs that use the
good paper do a good job printing and bulk labs the use the other
papers don't do such a great job (and wouldn't even if the had great
paper).

Old May 8th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi
I notice that some printing labs print on photo paper that have the words
"professional" and "copyright" printed on the back.

Are these papers "better" then the usual papers labs use for their prints?
If yes what's better about them? I mean will a good lab be able to print
quality work using regular photo paper?

Thanks

Hi

Kodak do have a "Professional" Ink Jet Paper, it is the only one for which
they supply ICC profiles.

There may be differences in the papers which the Labs use, but the word
"Professional" printed on the back is no guide to quality.

"Professional" is over used in the Photo Trade, in order to sell things to
people who do not know any better.

A Point & Shoot with the designation "PRO", has to be a joke.

Roy G

Old May 8th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Actually, that's not why they put it the label on the back of the
paper. The back also reads:

DO NOT COPY
and
PROFESSIONAL IMAGES ARE COPYRIGHT PROTECTED

It is so 1 hour shops won't copy them.

Old May 8th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 7 May 2006 11:13:55 +0100 in rec.photo.digital, "Jack"
wrote,
Hi
I notice that some printing labs print on photo paper that have the words
"professional" and "copyright" printed on the back.

Are these papers "better" then the usual papers labs use for their prints?
If yes what's better about them? I mean will a good lab be able to print
quality work using regular photo paper?

That is probably the paper with the built-in yellow copy protection
dots. Here is a magnified scan of part of a photo printed on such
paper: http://i3.tinypic.com/xkmx3d.jpg (about 1/2 inch wide)

Here is the same area, but the blue channel only so as to make the
dots more apparent: http://i3.tinypic.com/xkmyw1.jpg

If you try to copy it on one of those Kodak kiosk machines, it will
be refused. I don't know if anything else recognizes it.

DiXactol Tests Lew In The Darkroom 41 March 3rd 06 04:08 PM
FA: "The Variable Contrast Printing Manual " Marco Milazzo Darkroom Equipment For Sale 0 September 28th 04 04:30 AM
How do I calibrate my photographic process Alan Smithee In The Darkroom 66 August 31st 04 04:45 PM
Best Printing results: Kodak/Fuji Labs and Paper Pingoleon Film & Labs 2 August 15th 04 06:52 AM
Kodak on Variable Film Development: NO! Michael Scarpitti In The Darkroom 276 August 12th 04 10:42 PM