Photo Release Forms

Old July 8th 04, 05:18 AM
Renee

Default Photo Release Forms

Hi all,

I'd like to ask strangers, possibly from other cultures, if I can take their
picture, and want to have them sign a release allowing me to print or
display the photos on the web. Does anyone have ideas on what to include in
this type of form and how they are usually worded? Has anyone ever used a
release form before? Do you have any tips for me? Do you know where I can
get more information on this topic?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Renee

Old July 8th 04, 05:25 AM
Frank ess

Renee wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to ask strangers, possibly from other cultures, if I can
take their picture, and want to have them sign a release allowing me
to print or display the photos on the web. Does anyone have ideas on
what to include in this type of form and how they are usually worded?
Has anyone ever used a release form before? Do you have any tips for
me? Do you know where I can get more information on this topic?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Renee

http://www.editorialphoto.com

They have sample contracts and releases, and good advice on how to
change and to use them for your own purposes.

Good place to start. Check the EP Yahoo! archives, too
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/editorialphoto/

Frank ess

Old July 8th 04, 10:16 AM
Mark Johnson

"Renee" wrote:

Hi all,

I'd like to ask strangers, possibly from other cultures, if I can take their
picture, and want to have them sign a release allowing me to print or
display the photos on the web. Does anyone have ideas on what to include in
this type of form and how they are usually worded? Has anyone ever used a
release form before? Do you have any tips for me? Do you know where I can
get more information on this topic?

I think that's the problem with photography, today. You get a lot of
posed photos. But the only safe photos to publish of other people are
family photos. I wouldn't think that Lange got a release for her
photos, or Moholy-Nagy, and so on. I doubt they'd have released such
photos, today, and the world would suffer their loss. I can't see you
taking a candid shot of strangers and then walking up to them and
asking them to sign a release. They'd want you to pay them, or they'd
refuse. I doubt it could be done.

But if they agree, for no fee, then surely there are standard release
forms available all over the web. If you have their consent, then the
job is done. I'm thinking that's the part you can't get.

Old July 8th 04, 02:11 PM
Renee

"Mark Johnson" wrote in message
"Renee" wrote:

[...]

True. Candid shots would seem impossible. As far as paying them goes, I've
had children from some poorer countries want me to pay them for taking MY
picture. You make some good points, Mark.

I've been searching the web and find mostly Girl and Boy Scout forms, and
ones from universities. It now seems to be a silly idea since the photos
would be for my personal use and not business. And they'll just be snaps,
not works of art. Paperwork would sure put a damper on things, too.

But I don't think I'd put a copyright on them if they were posted on the
web, so you never know who might download them or where they could end up.

Old July 8th 04, 02:16 PM
Renee

"Frank ess" wrote in message
Renee wrote:
Hi all,

I'd like to ask strangers, possibly from other cultures, if I can
take their picture, and want to have them sign a release allowing me
to print or display the photos on the web. Does anyone have ideas on
what to include in this type of form and how they are usually worded?
Has anyone ever used a release form before? Do you have any tips for
me? Do you know where I can get more information on this topic?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Renee

http://www.editorialphoto.com

They have sample contracts and releases, and good advice on how to
change and to use them for your own purposes.

Good place to start. Check the EP Yahoo! archives, too
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/editorialphoto/

Frank ess

Thank you, Frank. Unfortunately I had a hard time navigating the
editorialphoto.com site to find the forms. I did find their contracts but
they were for professional and free-lance photographers and the publications
they work for.

Old July 8th 04, 05:51 PM
Alex Debris

"Renee" wrote in
m:

"Renee" wrote:

[...]

Hello..
First post here,thought I'd weigh in..

Most people are still wary of the "internet"
They dont know where the pics are or what they would be used for.
This is especially true for snaps of children and women.
Lots of media coverage concerning "upskirting" and hidden camera shots.

I tried to build a website for our Cub Scout den.
Thinking to have pics from our outings and meetings.
I ran into quite a bit of redtape from parents and the local council.
Releases,Council insurance,Council approval,etc..
I gave it up.

I you are going to try this make sure your release is very specific.
How\where the pics will be used.
Tell them the nature of your hobby,why you want their pic,etc..
Give them a link to where the pics are posted.

You might want to seek advice from a local professional photographer.

Good luck,

AD