Another ISO 6400 Performance Check

Old January 20th 16, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Another ISO 6400 Performance Check

Another ISO 6400 check with the X-E2 before I do the firmware update.

These are just example shots of a book shelf intended only as a test. There
is no composition, and they aren’t intended to be photographic works of
art, so don’t bother telling me how you would have cropped, etc.

There is a fair amount of noise in the shadows, but the images are
acceptable. Not what I look for when it comes to noise. For now I don’t
think I am going to push the ISO up to 6400+ unless I have severe low light
conditions and I must capture that particular scene. So with 7 menu custom
settings I have 4 standard ISO settings; ISO 200; ISO 400; ISO 800; ISO 200
(w/auto DR); Auto ISO max 1600; Auto ISO max 3200; and Auto ISO max 6400.

ISO 6400 1/250 @ f/1.6
https://db.tt/vaaf4wx4

and
ISO 6400 1/40 @ f/1.4
https://db.tt/1ifOiiRK
Disclaimer: The Silver Star in that shot is my father’s, not mine.

Savageduck

Old January 21st 16, 12:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 18:46:09 -0500, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 15:40:20 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

[...]

I would have cropped both differently.

And they're boring. They look like test shots, or something.

Old January 21st 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 20, 2016, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

sigh...

Savageduck

Old January 21st 16, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 20, 2016, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

No imagination in the composition, either.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/FileChute/F-HksE.jpg

Savageduck

Old January 21st 16, 02:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 20, 2016, RichA wrote
(in ):

On Wednesday, 20 January 2016 18:40:27 UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
[...]

So these are 100% sized images, just cropped?

Just resized for export with Lightroom to 980x1738 @ 360dpi
Here are the unresized 16:9 versions 2760x4896 @360:
https://db.tt/88kTOadH
https://db.tt/HtxIv2II

If so, they look really good.
Not just the lack of noise, but the preservation of colour tones seems very
good.

For the color tone preservation I thank the X-Trans II sensor/processor.

Savageduck

Old January 21st 16, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:12:30 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 20, 2016, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]

Sheesh, you practically begged for those responses.
Old January 21st 16, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-01-21 02:33:28 +0000, Bill W said:

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:12:30 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 20, 2016, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

Another ISO 6400 check with the X-E2 before I do the firmware update.

These are just example shots of a book shelf intended only as a test.

There
is no composition, and they arenÂ’t intended to be photographic works of
art, so donÂ’t bother telling me how you would have cropped, etc.

There is a fair amount of noise in the shadows, but the images are
acceptable. Not what I look for when it comes to noise. For now I donÂ’t
think I am going to push the ISO up to 6400+ unless I have severe low

light
conditions and I must capture that particular scene. So with 7 menu

custom
settings I have 4 standard ISO settings; ISO 200; ISO 400; ISO 800; ISO

200
(w/auto DR); Auto ISO max 1600; Auto ISO max 3200; and Auto ISO max 6400.

ISO 6400 1/250 @ f/1.6
https://db.tt/vaaf4wx4

and
ISO 6400 1/40 @ f/1.4
https://db.tt/1ifOiiRK
Disclaimer: The Silver Star in that shot is my fatherÂ’s, not mine.

I would have cropped both differently.

And they're boring. They look like test shots, or something.

sigh...

Sheesh, you practically begged for those responses.

Not really, I anticipated that sort of response from Tony, and perhaps
something a little different from Peter. I was hoping I would head them
off at the pass. Tony took a mild swipe, and you came along for the
ride, hence my reaction.

Savageduck

Old January 21st 16, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

Bill W:
Sheesh, you practically begged for those responses.

What is this BS about ISO 6400? Who the hell needs that except for
possibly someone doing specialized scientific photography? Me? ISO 100
to 400 with appropriate lighting serves adequately.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old January 21st 16, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2016-01-21 02:33:28 +0000, Bill W said:

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:12:30 -0800, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jan 20, 2016, Bill W wrote
(in ):

wrote:

[...]