How to ADD EXIF information to a JPEG photo

Old January 21st 14, 09:05 PM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
James Grady

Default How to ADD EXIF information to a JPEG photo

I can strip EXIF data from a JPEG with jhead on Linux:
$ jhead -purejpg photo.jpg

But how can I ADD EXIF information to a JPEG on the
Linux (Ubuntu) command line?

For example, let's say I have photo1.jpg with EXIF data
that I want to also transfer to photo2.jpg.

Is there a Linux command to copy EXIF data from photo1
to photo2?

Something like:
$ copy-exif photo1.jpg photo2.jpg

Old January 21st 14, 09:09 PM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

James Grady wrote:

I can strip EXIF data from a JPEG with jhead on Linux:
$ jhead -purejpg photo.jpg

But how can I ADD EXIF information to a JPEG on the
Linux (Ubuntu) command line?

For example, let's say I have photo1.jpg with EXIF data
that I want to also transfer to photo2.jpg.

Is there a Linux command to copy EXIF data from photo1
to photo2?

Something like:
$ copy-exif photo1.jpg photo2.jpg

exiftool

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

--
sid
Old January 21st 14, 10:03 PM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
James Grady

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 21:09:03 +0000, sid wrote:

exiftool

Thanks for that pointer.

I installed exiftool:
$ sudo apt-get install exiftool

Googling, I found this syntax, which seems to do the trick!
$ /usr/bin/exiftool -all= -tagsfromfile src.jpg -exif:all dst.jpg

I just realized I need to change just the date, so, I'll
see if exiftool can make the EXIF date the same as the
file creation date.
Old January 21st 14, 10:08 PM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
James Grady

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:14:54 -0500, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

Since thise is a standalone frontend
https://metacpan.org/pod/exiftool which purports to write it you could
use that or write your own.

Thanks. It looks like Exiftool is pretty powerful:
http://thomer.com/howtos/copy_exif.html

$ exiftool -TagsFromFile a.crw --Orientation a.jpg

And, from this, it looks like I can format the date also:
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/faq.html

$ exiftool -xmp:dateTimeOriginal="2005:10:23 20:06:34.33-05:00" a.jpg

Old January 21st 14, 11:38 PM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
Cybe R. Wizard

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 22:03:12 +0000 (UTC)
James Grady wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 21:09:03 +0000, sid wrote:

exiftool

Thanks for that pointer.

I installed exiftool:
$ sudo apt-get install exiftool

Googling, I found this syntax, which seems to do the trick!
$ /usr/bin/exiftool -all= -tagsfromfile src.jpg -exif:all dst.jpg

I just realized I need to change just the date, so, I'll
see if exiftool can make the EXIF date the same as the
file creation date.

There ya go. Good luck!

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
Old January 22nd 14, 12:34 AM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,rec.photo.digital
Dirk T. Verbeek

op 21-01-14 21:05 schreef James Grady:
I can strip EXIF data from a JPEG with jhead on Linux:
$ jhead -purejpg photo.jpg

But how can I ADD EXIF information to a JPEG on the
Linux (Ubuntu) command line?

For example, let's say I have photo1.jpg with EXIF data
that I want to also transfer to photo2.jpg.

Is there a Linux command to copy EXIF data from photo1
to photo2?

Something like:
$ copy-exif photo1.jpg photo2.jpg

exiv2 is in the repo's.
Old January 22nd 14, 08:51 PM posted to alt.os.linux,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Dave

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 22:08:48 +0000, James Grady wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:14:54 -0500, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

Since thise is a standalone frontend
https://metacpan.org/pod/exiftool which purports to write it you
could use that or write your own.

Thanks. It looks like Exiftool is pretty powerful:
http://thomer.com/howtos/copy_exif.html

$ exiftool -TagsFromFile a.crw --Orientation a.jpg

And, from this, it looks like I can format the date also:
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/faq.html

$ exiftool -xmp:dateTimeOriginal="2005:10:23 20:06:34.33-05:00" a.jpg

Exiv2 is also a good tool for exif,IPTC,XMP.
http://www.exiv2.org/index.html

Dave

--
Registered Linux User #444770
Mint 13LTS
Old January 23rd 14, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 21:05:38 +0000 (UTC), James Grady
wrote:

I can strip EXIF data from a JPEG with jhead on Linux:
$ jhead -purejpg photo.jpg

But how can I ADD EXIF information to a JPEG on the
Linux (Ubuntu) command line?

For example, let's say I have photo1.jpg with EXIF data
that I want to also transfer to photo2.jpg.

Is there a Linux command to copy EXIF data from photo1
to photo2?

Something like:
$ copy-exif photo1.jpg photo2.jpg

Have you looked into the EXIF workings of Irfanview? I'm
not sure that I understand your need, but Irfanview has been
a favorite (and trusted) tool of image-mongers for many
years. You might even find the batch features appealing.

--
croy
Old January 23rd 14, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , croy
wrote:

I can strip EXIF data from a JPEG with jhead on Linux:
$ jhead -purejpg photo.jpg

But how can I ADD EXIF information to a JPEG on the
Linux (Ubuntu) command line?

For example, let's say I have photo1.jpg with EXIF data
that I want to also transfer to photo2.jpg.

Is there a Linux command to copy EXIF data from photo1
to photo2?

Something like:
$ copy-exif photo1.jpg photo2.jpg

Have you looked into the EXIF workings of Irfanview? I'm
not sure that I understand your need, but Irfanview has been
a favorite (and trusted) tool of image-mongers for many
years. You might even find the batch features appealing.

irfanview is a windows app.

he asked about using the command line in linux.
Old January 25th 14, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
croy

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 16:32:42 -0500, nospam
wrote:

irfanview is a windows app.

he asked about using the command line in linux.

Ugh--sorry. Back under my rock.

croy