Color and b/w laser options with low cost of operation

Old April 5th 13, 11:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

Default Color and b/w laser options with low cost of operation

On 05/04/2013 10:46, AD wrote:
I see all the laser printer threads are very dated and given how
retarded google groups are
and that 2600, etc are long gone and mourned I feel entitled to start
a new one

Soo, if I do not want to go the jet route what are my options for
color laser jets?
Perferable if printer and/or cartridge does not need to be chipped if
I want to refill on my own.

10k pages+ cartridges are a must, I don't want to pay and arm and leg
per page

was thinking smth along the lines of kyocera c5150dn, but local
customers claim
that kyocera customer service is nothing short of horrible where I
live (russia bundocks)
swiping all the problem reports under the rugs and shifting the burden
of
responsibility on customer shoulders.
UK reviews for that particular model were favorable but I don't exist
in vacuum
and comes a warranty claim i don't want to be left hanging in limbo

Aren't the standard toner cartridges on that good for about 3k pages?
Dells are good for nominally 2k if you use 5% per page or whatever it
is. I have yet to wear out a print engine but I have a spare anyway.

You sort of have to specify your print volume before it becomes possible
to compute total cost of ownership. The image drum is a big hit if you
go much above 20k pages (and haven't bought a spare unit with extra
toners at a knock down price from a second hand dealer).

hp customer service around here claimed to be decent but I don't see a
2600 successor
and 2600 can't be found used here in any shape and form (plus
cartridges might be a pain
to find now)

samsung probably does not have any color models yet, b/w 3710nd works
like a champ
though photo printing is a bit less than stellar.

I have a Samsung duplex as workhorse and a Dell 1320cn for colour. The
latter manages convincing artwork if used with the right paper. Third
party toner cartridges for it are available cheaper than refill toner!

Both these printers are fairly old but work well. I think the later Dell
colour models don't review as favourably as mine but they are certainly
worth a look at if you can find cheap good third party toner.

There are plenty of colour Samsung printers in the UK. No idea if they
are any good or not - I'm not in the market for one now. The Samsung
mono is fine apart from the odd paper jam in the duplex mechanism (and
the jams though thankfully rare are a real PITA to disentangle).

Martin Brown
Old April 6th 13, 09:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Martin Brown

On 05/04/2013 16:49, AD wrote:
On Apr 5, 1:44 pm, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 05/04/2013 10:46, AD wrote:

was thinking smth along the lines of kyocera c5150dn, but local
customers claim
that kyocera customer service is nothing short of horrible where I
live (russia bundocks)
swiping all the problem reports under the rugs and shifting the burden
of
responsibility on customer shoulders.
UK reviews for that particular model were favorable but I don't exist
in vacuum
and comes a warranty claim i don't want to be left hanging in limbo

Aren't the standard toner cartridges on that good for about 3k pages?

depends on the printer obviously

Dells are good for nominally 2k if you use 5% per page or whatever it
is. I have yet to wear out a print engine but I have a spare anyway.

3710dn low capacity cartridge claim was 2k. lasted 1.5k
though my wife typically prints above 5% use so that's fine.

You sort of have to specify your print volume before it becomes possible
to compute total cost of ownership. The image drum is a big hit if you
go much above 20k pages (and haven't bought a spare unit with extra
toners at a knock down price from a second hand dealer).

that's the problem with 5150: the drum is fixed in place so when it
goes
you'd have to throw out the printer

Ouch! Although some lasers these days are under £100 and remaindered
ones that go out of fashion for being too big or bulky can be bargains.

we print about 2-3k pages per month, but for color I'd estimate under
1k pages per month
of that 1% will be photo prints

on 3710 the drum is integrated into the cartridge
so I guess it's a waste to replace it after 10k pages on high yield
cartridge
(and a BIG waste on the original low yield cartridge obviously)

Toner refills work fine until the waste toner fills up. Something like
2-3 refills the last with some risk of losing out.

I have a Samsung duplex as workhorse and a Dell 1320cn for colour. The

latter manages convincing artwork if used with the right paper. Third
party toner cartridges for it are available cheaper than refill toner!

Both these printers are fairly old but work well. I think the later Dell
colour models don't review as favourably as mine but they are certainly
worth a look at if you can find cheap good third party toner.

can't find dell 1320c for sale at local online merchants

in fact I don't see any dell printers available here be that color OR
b/w

meaning that cartridges would be pita to find even if I get a gray
market dell

Probably not a good choice where you are then.

(I think unlike whirlpool they won't honor warranty upon removal
of the hw from the market it was sold in so I would not want to go
gray market
route for that reason either)

which is a bummer given that dell2150 seems to have gotten okay
reviews
from pcmag while xerox6500/N available here did not fare that well

Pity.

There are plenty of colour Samsung printers in the UK. No idea if they
are any good or not - I'm not in the market for one now. The Samsung
mono is fine apart from the odd paper jam in the duplex mechanism (and
the jams though thankfully rare are a real PITA to disentangle).

haven't used duplexer on 3710dn though one of the selling reasons was
the accessibility of duplexer with a single touch of a mechanical
control on the printer ;-)
we haven't fed ****paper to it yet, so no jams so far (without
duplexer)

you have two passes on sheets with over 5% toner coverage on your
samsung?
it's a bit odd how 90% of the sheet pops out in the output tray
only to immediately retract into the innards of the 3710
for the second pass

Yes. It spits it out momentarily and then sucks it in again with a
crunch as it flips it over. If something goes wrong then the paper ends
up in a scrumpled heap deep inside requiring the whole lot taken apart.
Only happened two or three times in four years though.

I thought only color ones do 1 pass

Not when duplexing. Only minor annoyance with the Dell is one of the
icons for hand feeding paper is misleading.

Martin Brown