Trying to cut a person out of a foreground & pasting into adifferent background

Old January 1st 13, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Eric Prilovich

Default Trying to cut a person out of a foreground & pasting into adifferent background

What's a good freeware technique for cutting a person out of one
foreground and pasting into a different photographic background?

I can only delete the person, section by section, so far.

Here's the Windows & Linux freeware I just tried:

0. Assume we want to copy 'just' the woman in this foreground:
http://squareideas.com/wp-content/fl...portrait16.jpg

And paste her into this similar (but different) background:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jedi58/...7049/lightbox/

1. I first save the former (foreground portrait) as portrait1.jpg.
And I save the latter (background) picture as background1.jpg.

2. When I run Windows Paint.Net or Linux Gimp & use the magic wand
(aka fuzzy select), I can quite easily delete the foreground woman:
http://img121.imagevenue.com/img.php...3_122_36lo.jpg

3. But the problem is that the magic wand (fuzzy select) is selecting
by color, so, it's not getting the entire outline of the woman and
allowing me to copy and paste her into the new background.

The magic wand (aka fuzzy select) is powerful - but I can't yet control
it to just select the outline of the person in the foreground so I can
copy her to another background.

Any ideas for copy & paste of a portrait from one background to another?

Old January 1st 13, 07:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Beeper

On 12/31/2012 11:36 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
Eric Prilovich wrote:

What's a good freeware technique for cutting a person out of one
foreground and pasting into a different photographic background?

I can only delete the person, section by section, so far.

Here's the Windows & Linux freeware I just tried:

0. Assume we want to copy 'just' the woman in this foreground:
http://squareideas.com/wp-content/fl...portrait16.jpg

And paste her into this similar (but different) background:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jedi58/...7049/lightbox/

1. I first save the former (foreground portrait) as portrait1.jpg.
And I save the latter (background) picture as background1.jpg.

2. When I run Windows Paint.Net or Linux Gimp & use the magic wand
(aka fuzzy select), I can quite easily delete the foreground woman:
http://img121.imagevenue.com/img.php...3_122_36lo.jpg

I don't use Paint or Gimp, but it would seem that you would want to
delete the background in the image with the woman instead of selecting
her.

The 3rd link above, with the woman fuzzily selected, had an ad for Wind
Energy overlaid on a grayed-out page. So I clicked X on the corner of
the ad to dismiss it, and a popup window for live sex shows appeared.
Since the woman doesn't look so hot, this had me really worried, and I
got out of there in a hurry.
Old January 1st 13, 08:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , Beeper wrote:

2. When I run Windows Paint.Net or Linux Gimp & use the magic wand
(aka fuzzy select), I can quite easily delete the foreground woman:
http://img121.imagevenue.com/img.php...3_122_36lo.jpg

I don't use Paint or Gimp, but it would seem that you would want to
delete the background in the image with the woman instead of selecting
her.

The 3rd link above, with the woman fuzzily selected, had an ad for Wind
Energy overlaid on a grayed-out page. So I clicked X on the corner of
the ad to dismiss it, and a popup window for live sex shows appeared.
Since the woman doesn't look so hot, this had me really worried, and I
got out of there in a hurry.

you need to check your computer for malware.

the third link is nothing more than two screen captures of the girl in
the first link. there is nothing about a sex show or anything even
remotely close to a sex show. it's just a clothed girl with a bad
selection.

if you saw a sex show, something *else* put it there.
Old January 1st 13, 08:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
nospam

In article , Eric
Prilovich wrote:

The magic wand (aka fuzzy select) is powerful - but I can't yet control
it to just select the outline of the person in the foreground so I can
copy her to another background.

magic wand is often called the tragic wand. it is not particularly good.

selection tools have been greatly enhanced in recent photoshop versions
but you said free so you are stuck with tragic wands.

what might work in freeware is use one of the rgb channels to generate
a layer mask and use that to composite the girl into the new
background. it might need a little tweaking but probably not too much.
she has clear and defined boundaries except for a bit of her hair.

you'll also want to resize the crop to fit into the new scene so it
looks believable and you'll also want to match the colour balance,
brightness and other aspects of the two photos too. nothing looks worse
than a crappy composite job.

unfortunately, the lighting in the two photos are very different so you
have your work cut out for you. also, you are going to need to add a
shadow or it's going to look wrong. plus the stairs go in opposite
directions so you'll need to give her something to stand on as well (or
crop off her feet which will look bad too but it avoids that problem).

Any ideas for copy & paste of a portrait from one background to another?

layer masks (for tweaking the selection and other adjustments) and
smart objects (so you can resize non-destructively) will be very
important.
Old January 1st 13, 09:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 8:18:06 AM UTC+1, Eric Prilovich wrote:
[...]

I think it would be easiest to work in gimp and employ a layer mask to the top layer of the girl to mask out the background. The layer below that would be the new background.

Here is an example (can be opened in gimp):

http://bayfiles.com/file/yzpp/eylS2A...160b3ec4_k.xcf

And the final result (just a quick draft version):

http://imgur.com/a/jVxSs#0

http://i.imgur.com/NwwuJ.jpg

It could be further improved by adding shaddows (below the feet and the shadow cast by her figure) and better matching of the colors between source and target.
Old January 1st 13, 11:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Dave

On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 07:18:06 +0000, Eric Prilovich wrote:

What's a good freeware technique for cutting a person out of one
foreground and pasting into a different photographic background?

I can only delete the person, section by section, so far.

Here's the Windows & Linux freeware I just tried:

0. Assume we want to copy 'just' the woman in this foreground:
http://squareideas.com/wp-content/fl...portrait16.jpg

And paste her into this similar (but different) background:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jedi58/...7049/lightbox/

1. I first save the former (foreground portrait) as portrait1.jpg.
And I save the latter (background) picture as background1.jpg.

2. When I run Windows Paint.Net or Linux Gimp & use the magic wand
(aka fuzzy select), I can quite easily delete the foreground woman:
http://img121.imagevenue.com/img.php?

image=24017_portrait3_122_36lo.jpg

3. But the problem is that the magic wand (fuzzy select) is selecting
by color, so, it's not getting the entire outline of the woman and
allowing me to copy and paste her into the new background.

The magic wand (aka fuzzy select) is powerful - but I can't yet control
it to just select the outline of the person in the foreground so I can
copy her to another background.

Any ideas for copy & paste of a portrait from one background to another?

Instead of the magic wand try the foreground extraction tool.
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-fo...nd-select.html

Dave

--
Registered Linux User #444770
Fedora
Old January 1st 13, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Savageduck[_3_]

Eric Prilovich wrote:

What's a good freeware technique for cutting a person out of one
foreground and pasting into a different photographic background?

I can only delete the person, section by section, so far.

Here's the Windows & Linux freeware I just tried:

0. Assume we want to copy 'just' the woman in this foreground:
http://squareideas.com/wp-content/fl...portrait16.jpg

And paste her into this similar (but different) background:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jedi58/...7049/lightbox/

I would note that the owner of that image has disabled download on
Flickr. My assumption is, he does not intend to have his work used in
the way you have in mind.

1. I first save the former (foreground portrait) as portrait1.jpg.
And I save the latter (background) picture as background1.jpg.

2. When I run Windows Paint.Net or Linux Gimp & use the magic wand
(aka fuzzy select), I can quite easily delete the foreground woman:
http://img121.imagevenue.com/img.php...3_122_36lo.jpg

I don't use Paint or Gimp, but it would seem that you would want to
delete the background in the image with the woman instead of selecting
her.

The 3rd link above, with the woman fuzzily selected, had an ad for Wind
Energy overlaid on a grayed-out page. So I clicked X on the corner of
the ad to dismiss it, and a popup window for live sex shows appeared.
Since the woman doesn't look so hot, this had me really worried, and I
got out of there in a hurry.

In Photoshop with "quick select" this is simple.
First make the selection.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_106.jpg

Inverse & Refine edge
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_107.jpg

kill underlying layers
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_108.jpg

Paste into new background & use content aware resize to fit
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_109.jpg

Savageduck

Old January 1st 13, 01:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

Eric Prilovich wrote:

[...]

Uh, I think you're violating some copyrights there Ducky..

http://i.imgur.com/JU8lB.jpg

I'm appalled that you have so little respect for intellectual property.

Savageduck

Old January 1st 13, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Eric Prilovich wrote:
[...]

Not quite.
The link to that image takes me to the image open in a browser, not to
the Square Idea page with its 2013 copyright notification. A check of
the EXIF reveals no such copyright on the image I used for extraction.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_110.jpg
So given the OP's request, I made a good faith use of the image he
provided to produce my example of extraction method.

I did note that the owner of Flickr image had disabled downloads so I
made the assumption that he did not favor the idea that his images
should be used freely. So I used one of my own images for the
background to create the absurd example, no question of copyright
infringement there.

Savageduck

Old January 1st 13, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sobriquet

Eric Prilovich wrote:

[...]

What a pathetic excuse. You've blatantly violated copyrights and when
people point this out to you, you claim you've done so in good faith.

You should have known better that that image must be the intellectual
property of someone and you've clearly neglected to find out
about it's copyright status before stealing this intellectual
property and using it for your own creations.

It's not that hard to edit the url to end up at the site that hosts
the image to find out about the copyright status of the image.

It's thieves and parasites like you that give the internet a bad rep.