Hows this for an attempted rip off?

Old March 31st 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,aus.photo
Atheist Chaplain[_4_]

Default Hows this for an attempted rip off?

On Apr 1, 8:41*am, Alienjones wrote:
Doug Jewell wrote:
Alienjones wrote:
Grandson dropped our P&S happy snapper off the pier while he was
trying to get a picture of his sister's first fish catch. Not waterproof!

OK, so insurance company agrees to replace it. Photo Continental in
Brisbane call up: "We've been authorized to replace your camera, we
don't have one but they are on order from Olympus. Maybe 2 weeks wait".

If people such as yourself bought from stores who are selling the local
product, instead of purchasing overseas, you would be helping the
Australian distributors to ultimately deliver lower prices.

I have heard it from good sources that Apple, Sony and some other major
manufacturers, are about to launch a legal challenge against grey
marketing in general and against some of the larger grey marketing
websites. I'm not sure if their challenge is attempting to ban it
completely, or just to enforce the grey marketers to bear some of the
legitimate costs of importing. I have heard they are also working with
customs to clamp down on "No Retail Value" and "Gift" imports. Getting
the legitimate Australian disties and resellers on an even footing with
the grey-market operators can only be a good thing.

Once... Way back in the distant past, I invested in my brother's
manufacturing business in Melbourne.

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

I wanted him to get his stuff made
in China or Italy.

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

His reply was that if we all did that, pretty soon
there'd be no one left in AU with any money to buy it. I should have put
my foot down. All he got out of it was a death by heart attack.

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

35 years on and that has proven to be a completely wrong premise and I'm
down the tube 50k for supporting him when I knew he was wrong.

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

The notion you have of supporting local importers and the argument about
them needing to carry spares etc. is flawed with the reality that if the
likes of Sony and Kennedy's really were interested in the well being of
the industry, why would they fight so hard and spend so much trying to
prevent us from buying the same thing for 30% less, overseas? It's
called MORE PROFIT IN THEIR POCKET!

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

I'm sorry to say Doug, that your noble attitude fails the test of
reality. When Malcolm Frazier made his speech to Aussie manufacturer's
in the late 60's that they should have faith in the state of the nation
and invest in infrastructure, I believed him.

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

$50 grand later when his trade minister wrote to us and said it was not
Australia's policy to protect local industry from imports anymore... And
some smart Aussie sent our stuff to China to be copied. It came back
here cheaper than the cost of the material in Australia.

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****
BULL**** BULL**** BULL****
BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

The fact is Doug, we have to grasp opportunities. Right now selling
iron, steel and whatever else we can dig out of the ground is our
opportunity. For little people like you and me, we need to work for
those reaping in big bucks and forget all about Australia ever being
anything but a hole in the ground for exporters.

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

Adopt that mind set... You and your family will prosper, save money when
you buy stuff and let the future sort itself out... As it has done for
generation after generation.

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

All this blue sky **** is just going to give you pain mate. When
interest rates get back to the days I paid 19% on house loans

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

...is the
fate of the local camera industry which makes 18% - 30% more than their
US or Chinese counterparts really going to bother you or are you going
to wonder where you'll find the bucks to pay a multinational company for
food they're selling you at 15% inflated prices?

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

Maybe you'll reflect then on the American finance companies raping our
economy with 30% interest loans "to help you over the hump" they have
engineered?

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****
BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

No Doug... The days of National loyalty producing anything worthwhile
haven't arrived in this country and if the behavior of our youth is any
example... They never will. I saved over $8,000 when I bought my Nikon
gear earlier this year.

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****
BULL**** BULL**** BULL****
BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

Warranty? Yeah right... The same authorized Nikon repair agent is the
one who'll do any warranty repair and the parts to do it will come from
China. See? I'm supporting local business. Anderson's have already had
some from me. Faster, cheaper and just around the corner from me. Why
would I care what happened to a "Distributor" who been profiteering off
me for years?

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****
BULL**** BULL**** BULL****
BULL**** BULL**** BULL****