Hows this for an attempted rip off?

Old March 31st 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,aus.photo
Atheist Chaplain[_4_]

Default Hows this for an attempted rip off?

On Mar 31, 6:05*pm, Alienjones wrote:
Grandson dropped our P&S happy snapper off the pier while he was trying
to get a picture of his sister's first fish catch. Not waterproof!

I wonder what you were doing behind him at the time!

OK, so insurance company agrees to replace it. Photo Continental in
Brisbane call up: "We've been authorized to replace your camera, we
don't have one but they are on order from Olympus. Maybe 2 weeks wait".

Ring, ring. Hello Olympus, how can I help?
"Can you tell me the delay on SP 570 Ultra zoom cameras please"?

Olympus. "They haven't been released yet, are you Doug the worlds greatest wedding photographer and the one everyone picks on because you are so much better"!

So how did you already have one to get it replaced?

Insurance company when I asked for a cheque instead: "I need to check
your story with Photo Continental" -- and why not it seems pretty far
fetched.

After about 15 minutes: "Yes, they confirm your story that the cameras
have been on order since early February and they really don't know when
they will arrive"!

OK "So what about I choose a K10D Pentax? How much difference in the price?"

Photo Continental: "They are $1150 with a Sigma lens and no, we don't
have any Pentax lenses. $675 extra".

Hmmm. Maybe it's the bream my grand daughter caught but something smells
fishy here.

Your fingers?

Retail price of Olympus SP 570 is $629 at Camera Warehouse.
Price of K10D with 24 -70 Pentax lens is $1069 from DC warehouse.

Price difference = $440 !!!!

The bit that gets me is PC wanting full retail price for the Pentax but
selling the non-existant Olympus at what must be the cheapest price in
Australia and not being prepared to balance out the price difference.

$235 rip off. After having spent near enough to $30,000 on camera gear
at PC in the past 5 years,

BULL**** BULL**** BULL****

I reckon that stinks. Maybe this is how they
survive the Chinese camera sales on eBay? ...Ripping off the locals.

Pentax K10D with Pentax 18 - 55 lens from a seller in HK I trust, landed
in AU = $920.

By buying in Hong Kong with a 3 year warranty I save $385... The cost of
a speedlite or a better quality lens for it.

--

from Douglas,
If my PGP key is missing, the

Ignore it anyway, he is a smoker.