Harringon Quadtone RIP

Old August 22nd 04, 04:00 PM
No One

Default Harringon Quadtone RIP

Hello -

Roy Harrinton has a new version of his Quadtone RIP for Epson 2200. The new
version supports more paper and custom sizes. I have found this piece of
software a real life saver. Neutral B&W from the 2200.

This is more or less on topic because I scan 8x10 negs and use the 2200 in
lieu of contact printing.

Bruce

Old August 22nd 04, 06:15 PM
A Concerned Contributer

Less because no one ask you,...it smells like FRICKING spam.

Old August 22nd 04, 06:48 PM
Trabajador

More, because Roy is an excellent large-format photographer and printer in
his own right, and makes this superb tool available at a ridiculously low
price - shareware. I too scan 4x5 and print to the 2200 using Imageprint.
Upgrading to a 7600 was going to be out of the question until Roy ported QTR
to Windows. Now it's Colorbyte who?

Old August 22nd 04, 07:15 PM
No One

Well,

the fact of the matter is that a lot of LF photographers shoot B&W film and
struggle to get a neutral print from the Epson products. I have struggled
with this for a few years. So with Roy offering his product as shareware and
solving what has been a huge problem for me I figured that members who print
B&W on an Epson might appreciate the hint.

I found out about

http://harrington.com/QuadTonePC.html

by reading an excellent article in View Camera Magazine.

Now you can still make contact prints in the darkroom if that floats your
boat but the convenience of scanning in a lighted room is worth mentioning.

Old August 23rd 04, 12:35 AM
Sandy

Less because no one ask you,...it smells like FRICKING spam.

Actually it smells like you're clueless. People who print digitally and use
Windows have been anxiously awaiting QTR for Windows for quite some time so
the fact that it's finally become available is big news for those of us who
scan our large format negatives and make black and white prints digitally.
Commercial RIPs cost upwards of $500 or more. Roy Harrington has donated his
time to develop QTR as a basically free RIP. Anyone who uses Windows XP can
download it, if you try it and like it you're requested to pay a $50
shareware fee and even that tiny amount doesn't go to Bruce so his message
is hardly spam.

Old August 23rd 04, 03:40 AM
A Concerned Contributer

Yes clueless as to why people start threads out of the clear
blue about people that have not been discussed here before
or who have not apparently contributed here before.

So sue me if I don't know every LF photographer in the world
and don't make Digi Inkjet prints from my LF negatives. Yes I am clueless
as to the latest buzz, thanks but prefer to remain that way.

Old August 23rd 04, 09:17 PM
No One

"A Concerned Contributer" wrote in message
Yes clueless as to why people start threads out of the clear
blue about people that have not been discussed here before
or who have not apparently contributed here before.

So, Mr. Clueless, you are saying that only threads that refer to previously
refered people are permitted? And, the previously refered to people must
have posted some comment or another?

Old August 23rd 04, 10:52 PM
A Concerned Contributer

"No One" wrote:

"A Concerned Contributer" wrote in message
Yes clueless as to why people start threads out of the clear
blue about people that have not been discussed here before
or who have not apparently contributed here before.

So, Mr. Clueless, you are saying that only threads that refer to previously
refered people are permitted? And, the previously refered to people must
have posted some comment or another?

Since your no one I guess I should just ignore you. However I will say:

Grow up. It would be nice to have a little background as to who Roy was,
where his website was/is so we could see that he is a LF photographer.
Perhaps give us reasoning behind a out of the blue statement.
Thats all I was saying,... now go get that attitude adjustment your
seem to be in desperate need of.

Thx.
Old August 23rd 04, 11:22 PM
Kerry L. Thalmann

"No One" wrote:

It would be nice to have a little background as to who Roy was,
where his website was/is so we could see that he is a LF photographer.
Perhaps give us reasoning behind a out of the blue statement.

Roy Harrington is indeed a large format photographer. His web site can be
found at:

http://harrington.com/index.shtml

I recommend checking it out. Good stuff - even if you aren't interested in
digital black and white printing - Roy was a great traditional darkroom
printer before he became equally adept at digital methods.

In the past, Roy was also a regular contributor to this group. A quick
google advanced search shows over 200 posts from Roy in this newsgroup.

There is also a feature length article (that I wrote) and portfolio of Roy's
work in the current issue (Jul/Aug 2004) issue of View Camera magazine. In
addition to some background info on Roy, the article discusses Roy's
QuadToneRIP software, what it does and why Roy went to the trouble to
develop it. At the time I wrote the article, QTR was only available for the
Mac. I mentioned that a Windows version would be out later this Summer.
Bruce's original post was merely a confirmation that the Windows version is
now available - not a sales pitch for Roy's software.

If you happen to be in the Bay Area, I recommend you check Roy's web site
for the locations of galleries showing his work. Seeing prints in person is
always a better experience than viewing images online.

Please note: I consider Roy Harrington a personal friend. It was actually
through our particpation in this newsgroup that I met Roy a few years ago.
When I saw your initial post, my first reaction was to jump in with an
emotion laced diatribe. Fortunately, I simmered down before I decided to
respond (always a good idea). You were mistaken that Bruce's initial post
was spam, that Roy Harrington has never been mentioned in this group, or has
never participated here. But hey, we all make mistakes. You came back and
asked for more information about Roy, and it is in that spirit I responded.
Hopefully, this will be much more productive than yet another usenet flame
war.

Kerry

Old August 24th 04, 01:43 AM
A Concerned Contributer

As always the voice of a respected and reliable person
Thanks for not taking sides. For that matter thank you for
not trying to fan the flames.

Its a good example one I guess I should work harder to emulate, I
sometimes get carried away in my zealousness to defend this NG
from offending stuff,.....I offer this small sentence
as my apology to the OP'r : Live well and take lots of
pictures.

Regards.