I want a developer...

Old June 8th 04, 08:48 PM
whitewave

Default I want a developer...

....that can give me, mostly with tri-x, Neopan and Plus-x, VERY fine
grain, excellent acutance, good contrast and very smooth tones.
(I don't care a lot about shadow details).

I strated developing my films 2 months ago, and 'til now I've used
only ID11 1+1 and Rodinal with Agfa APX 25.

ID11 seems to be a good compromise for what I'm looking for, but
maybe you can suggest me a better choice.

Thanks.
Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it
Old June 8th 04, 09:56 PM
Any Moose Poster

In article ,
whitewave wrote:

...that can give me, mostly with tri-x, Neopan and Plus-x, VERY fine
grain, excellent acutance, good contrast and very smooth tones.
(I don't care a lot about shadow details).

I strated developing my films 2 months ago, and 'til now I've used
only ID11 1+1 and Rodinal with Agfa APX 25.

ID11 seems to be a good compromise for what I'm looking for, but
maybe you can suggest me a better choice.

Thanks.
Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it

Then again,...
what you want is someone to do all your testing and give you a
magic bullet knowing exactly what it is your striving for?

Here's some advice get the Film Developing Cookbook and
read it, then select some of the many developers in it and test
the film with the chosen developers, that way you'll have some
real knowledge versus the many opinions that are often expressed
here.
--
Duzz that A moose you ?
Old June 8th 04, 10:45 PM
Jorge Omar

Xtol. Finer grain, sharper.
But lookout for sudden death (it used to be common, nowadays, with the 5l
packet it seems under control,

Jorge

whitewave wrote in
:

Old June 8th 04, 11:59 PM
David Kilpatrick

whitewave wrote:

...that can give me, mostly with tri-x, Neopan and Plus-x, VERY fine
grain, excellent acutance, good contrast and very smooth tones.
(I don't care a lot about shadow details).

I strated developing my films 2 months ago, and 'til now I've used
only ID11 1+1 and Rodinal with Agfa APX 25.

ID11 seems to be a good compromise for what I'm looking for, but
maybe you can suggest me a better choice.

Well, you could try just diluting ID11 1 + 3 - it means very long dev
times and strictly one-shot working with great care in agitation. But in
exchange, you get finer grain (as long as you stick to 20C temp) and
increased contour sharpness, along with a compensating effect which will
unfortunately boost your shadow details. You then print on a harder
paper, which of course eliminates the grain advantage, but gives you
solid d-max and a crisp look to the print.

David

Old June 9th 04, 02:35 AM
Michael Scarpitti

whitewave wrote in message . ..
...that can give me, mostly with tri-x, Neopan and Plus-x, VERY fine
grain, excellent acutance, good contrast and very smooth tones.
(I don't care a lot about shadow details).

I strated developing my films 2 months ago, and 'til now I've used
only ID11 1+1 and Rodinal with Agfa APX 25.

ID11 seems to be a good compromise for what I'm looking for, but
maybe you can suggest me a better choice.

Thanks.
Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it

Try Acutol. Write to me directly for details.
Old June 9th 04, 02:36 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"whitewave" wrote

...that can give me, mostly with tri-x, Neopan and Plus-x, VERY fine
grain, excellent acutance, good contrast and very smooth tones.
(I don't care a lot about shadow details).

I strated developing my films 2 months ago, and 'til now I've used
only ID11 1+1 and Rodinal with Agfa APX 25.

ID11 or D-76 1:1 is already an optimum choice, especially good with
Plus-X.

Microdol-X gives finer grain. M-X when used with T-Max 100 results
in Tech-Pan levels of grain. It works well with Tri-x if the negs
are not overexposed or overdeveloped (ie, keep them a bit thin).
I like it 1:1 and have not noticed any increased grain. Stock
keeps a long time, use 1-shot - great for occasional darkroom user.
My developer of choice for anything that isn't Tech Pan.

Xtol is supposed to be better than either of the above but it has
a habit of going inactive w/o warning - no color change, no smell,
just blank negatives. With lots of bottling care and expiration
dates it becomes practical, so they say. I never saw any real
performance advantage over D-76 and M-X.

Other vendors have their own take on the above 4, there is not much
difference between Kodak, Ilford, .... Buy local.

I recomend Technidol & Tech-Pan for the smoothest tones (at 11x14" the
enlargements look like they came from a 4x5 negative.) This
combination is my film/developer of choice. ASA 25 is the same
speed as the late Kodachrome (25) and K-25 was used hand held in Argus
C-3's, so slow speed is _not_ an issue. I use Tech-Pan for
candids, kids playing, high speed action shots (sunny f16 at
1/25th second is sunny f1.4 at 1/2000 of a second, indoors
close to a window. Using lenses wide open the subject becomes very
nicely isolated: try it!)

I guess devlopers are like wheels: even though the design is 5,000
years old, round ones can't be beat.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old June 9th 04, 08:17 AM
whitewave

Then again,...
what you want is someone to do all your testing and give you a
magic bullet knowing exactly what it is your striving for?

Too many developers, and above all too many developer-film
possibilities.
Now I'm reading Ilford Product Data Guide.
They offer 8 developers, add the ones made by Kodak, the ones made by
agfa and so on.

Ilford:
ID11 - reading at their review it seems what I want
MICROPHEN - Is it useful for push processing only?
PERCEPTOL - the extra fine grain and the excellent definition seems
ok. But is it suitable for slow film only?
DDx - it seems exactly the developer I want, but I think I never saw
it in darkroom suplliers
ILFOSOL and ILFOTEC HC - tell me more. Is Ilfotech the HC-110 from
Ilford? Could I use HC in small tank?
DD and RT - don't mind.

Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it
Old June 9th 04, 10:52 PM
|neo_tokio|

"whitewave" ha scritto nel messaggio

Marco Baldovin
www.whitewave.it

Spettacolo
n!

--
http://www.neotokiodesign.com/blog.htm

Old June 9th 04, 11:51 PM
Magdalena W.

Uzytkownik "whitewave" napisal w
wiadomosci

...that can give me, mostly with tri-x, Neopan and Plus-x, VERY fine
grain, excellent acutance, good contrast and very smooth tones.
(I don't care a lot about shadow details).
Don't know how it would work with Neopan and Plus-X, but an old (?)

Kodak (?) formula called D-23 (look in the Darkroom Cookbook) works
wonders with Tri-X. Less grain than in ID-11, smooth, velvety blacks.

Regards,
Magdalena

Old June 10th 04, 01:10 AM
Michael A. Covington

"whitewave" wrote in message
...that can give me, mostly with tri-x, Neopan and Plus-x, VERY fine
grain, excellent acutance, good contrast and very smooth tones.
(I don't care a lot about shadow details).

I strated developing my films 2 months ago, and 'til now I've used
only ID11 1+1 and Rodinal with Agfa APX 25.

ID11 seems to be a good compromise for what I'm looking for, but
maybe you can suggest me a better choice.

No developer will give you grain with Tri-X that is as fine as a 25 speed
film. However, in general, the way to get fine grain is to avoid
overdevelopment and avoid Rodinal. ID-11 is not bad; Kodak Xtol (if you can
get it) may be appreciably better.