Buying a Canon D10 in Toronto

Old July 13th 03, 10:28 AM
EricR

Default Buying a Canon D10 in Toronto

Guys,

Wife is there with work, and wondered about the best place to buy a
D10 in Toronto.

Questions
1) Are they a lot cheaper there than in the UK? £1,250 GBP = 2,814.11
is good price I can find for body only. www.jessops.co.uk

2) Is it worth paying the extra for a UK warranty, and peace of mind
that gives?

3) Would we be able to reclaim any Canadian Tax back?

4) Would we get VAT slapped on it coming into the UK?

5) Anyone suggest a store in Toronto in a central area of the city?

All comments welcome.

Old July 13th 03, 02:05 PM
Andrew McDonald

EricR wrote:
Guys,

Wife is there with work, and wondered about the best place to buy a
D10 in Toronto.

There is no such camera as the D10. Perhaps you meant the 10D.

Old July 13th 03, 06:40 PM
Bernhard Mayer

"Happy Canuck" wrote in message able.rogers.com...
There are a number of shops in downtown Toronto:
- biggest is Henry's http://www.henrys.com/ 119 Church Street 10D is CAN$
2499.99 + 15% PST&GST
- Aden Camera 364 Yonge St & 348 Yonge St.

I second that... very nice shops, nice and helpful staff - knows the
concerns of international buyers

best of all, if you just want to wander around the rather large shop
checking out what's there - they'll leave you alone

You should be able to claim your GST back when leaving the country, the
camera shop can help.

and be careful with that!!! There is an official form (Canadian
government) and another one which looks pretty official. The
difference is that one will charge you for handling besides offering
to credit your VISA or whatever. AFAIK the government will only send
you a check, but not charge for handling.

Upon exiting the country you'll have to get your receipts stamped by
customs. They'll check the merchandise - so you'd better keep it handy
and not stuff it under piles of used underware or other embarassing
things.

Don't know about the warranty, but I'd rather be safe depending on price
difference.

ask the shops about warranty... At the very minimum, they'l let you
send in your camera. Canon and Nikon will refuse warranty on CAN
hardware - at least in Austrialand.
Old July 16th 03, 08:19 AM
EricR

Guys,

Thanks for all responses. In the end decided the hassle of getting it
back over the pond for repai far outweighed the benefits of the
cheaper price.

Also, someone else has advised of a lower UK price that I hadn;t seen,
also EOS Magazine is carrying a £100 cashback off a camera or £200 of
a camera and lens, so I can get a UK warrantied model for around the
£1100 mark.

Cheers

Remove BRAIN to reply.....ALSO......
When replying by mail include USENET in the subject please.
My mail filters will then let your message through.

I Get 100 per day :-((((