Fast SD Cards?

Old September 9th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich Belthoff

Default Fast SD Cards?

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ30. I want to start shooting in RAW format.
However, it takes forever for these 16 meg file to write to my 1-Gig SD
Card. I suspect that there is something faster out there. Any ideas??

Thx.

-Rich Belthoff

Old September 9th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marcin

You need SanDisk Extreme III (20MB/s) + Capture One LE RAW application.

Best wishes
Marcin Gorgolewski
www.mybestphotos.batcave.net

Użytkownik "Rich Belthoff" napisał w
wiadomości ...

Old September 10th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
timeOday

Rich Belthoff wrote:
I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ30. I want to start shooting in RAW format.
However, it takes forever for these 16 meg file to write to my 1-Gig SD
Card. I suspect that there is something faster out there. Any ideas??

Thx.

-Rich Belthoff

If you find success, let us know. Personally I think it has more to do
with the camera, and choosing a card that is fast for a particular
camera is a crapshoot.
Old September 10th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
minnesotti

Marcin wrote:
You need SanDisk Extreme III (20MB/s) + Capture One LE RAW application.

You are Polish or what ? No camera can write with a speed faster than
10 MB/s, which the speed of SanDisk Ultra II. Even such a high speed is
required only for writing video. The ordinary pictures (single or
burst) would require maybe 6 MB/s which is the writing speed of the
plain SanDisk (manufactured no earlier than 2005 or around that).

Old September 10th 06, 01:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

Rich Belthoff wrote:
I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ30. I want to start shooting in RAW format.
However, it takes forever for these 16 meg file to write to my 1-Gig SD
Card. I suspect that there is something faster out there. Any ideas??

Thx.

-Rich Belthoff

Raw writing speed is a problem with most cameras in this class. Even
the Sony R1 was plagued with Raw writing speed of 10 sec or so. It is
the design of the camera and one way the designers keep the price down.
The only thing you can do is try a "133" speed card. But it probably
won't make much difference. Why designers haven't made a camera with
DSLR write time is a mystery to me.
This is why a lot of people buy DSLRs, even the $500 variety have
decent Raw write times. If you want to shoot Raw DSLR is really the
only convenient option. If you use the FZ30 and need some speed you are
stuck with Jpegs.

Tom

Old September 10th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
bitwisebob

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 21:21:01 GMT, "Rich Belthoff"
wrote:

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ30. I want to start shooting in RAW format.
However, it takes forever for these 16 meg file to write to my 1-Gig SD
Card. I suspect that there is something faster out there. Any ideas??

Transcend 4gb
http://www.buy.com/prod/Transcend_4G...202104570.html

I use one in my Canon S3 IS (doesn't do RAW), it works great, lots of
room, good price (I actually got this price and just recieved a $30
rebate, rebate now over...).

Take a look, good price for the size/speed.

---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon
Old September 10th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
minnesotti

wrote:

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ30. I want to start shooting in RAW format.
However, it takes forever for these 16 meg file to write to my 1-Gig SD
Card. I suspect that there is something faster out there. Any ideas??

Transcend 4gb
http://www.buy.com/prod/Transcend_4G...202104570.html

I use one in my Canon S3 IS (doesn't do RAW), it works great, lots of
room, good price (I actually got this price and just recieved a $30
rebate, rebate now over...).

Take a look, good price for the size/speed.

Are you hit in the head to advise a 4 GB card ? Pana FZ30 does not take
cards of capacity more than 2 GB.

Old September 10th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Hilton

Marcin wrote:
You need SanDisk Extreme III (20MB/s) + Capture One LE RAW application.

I'm a fan of Capture One but I'm pretty sure it won't work with the RAW
files from the Panasonic Lumix FZ30. Here's the list of supported
cameras ...

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/Soft...leSupport.aspx

Bill

Old September 12th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bitwisebob

On 10 Sep 2006 07:12:59 -0700, "minnesotti"
wrote:

Are you hit in the head to advise a 4 GB card ? Pana FZ30 does not take
cards of capacity more than 2 GB.

guess so ... since I'm a Canon user, what do I know about
Panasonic... but the Transcend works good .... comes in 2 gb size also

---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon