Cotnrast Filter spacing and Cold Light

Old June 28th 04, 11:08 AM
John Walton

Default Cotnrast Filter spacing and Cold Light

It was my experience with a Zone VI cold light that the contrast filters (I
had Kodak, Ilford and DuPont) DID NOT work well with the cold light source
compared to the regular incandescent light source.

No problem anymore as I continue to use the Minolta-Beseler pulsed light
head for the past 12 years.

Old June 28th 04, 05:30 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"John Walton" wrote in message ...
It was my experience with a Zone VI cold light that the contrast filters (I
had Kodak, Ilford and DuPont) DID NOT work well with the cold light source
compared to the regular incandescent light source.

No problem anymore as I continue to use the Minolta-Beseler pulsed light
head for the past 12 years.

Variable contrast papers are made for tungsten light, about 2800K.
Cold light does not work with them.
Old June 28th 04, 05:37 PM
Peter De Smidt

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

Variable contrast papers are made for tungsten light, about 2800K.
Cold light does not work with them.

That's not the case with Aristo's V54 lamp, as I can attest to
personally, and which Howard Bond has shown in detail in some magazine
articles.

-Peter De Smidt
Old June 29th 04, 12:26 PM
John

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:37:34 -0500, Peter De Smidt
pdesmidt*no*spam*@tds.*net* wrote:

Variable contrast papers are made for tungsten light, about 2800K.
Cold light does not work with them.

That's not the case with Aristo's V54 lamp, as I can attest to
personally, and which Howard Bond has shown in detail in some magazine
articles.

-Peter De Smidt

Still correcting Scarpity, eh ? You certainly enjoy a
challenge ! Now, I have this motorcycle ........... ;)

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old June 29th 04, 02:21 PM
Michael Scarpitti

Peter De Smidt pdesmidt*no*spam*@tds.*net* wrote in message ...
Michael Scarpitti wrote:

Variable contrast papers are made for tungsten light, about 2800K.
Cold light does not work with them.

That's not the case with Aristo's V54 lamp, as I can attest to
personally, and which Howard Bond has shown in detail in some magazine
articles.

-Peter De Smidt

'Cold light' is usually rich in blue/UV and poor in green/yellow/red.
The V54 may be designed to resemble a 2800K source.
Old June 29th 04, 05:29 PM
lost in space

I used an Aristo cold light for a number of years and had irregular
results with VC filters, so I stuch with graded papers. I switched
back to incandescent with a diffuser for awhile and got better
results, albeit with the attendant incandescent heat and distribution
issues.

A few months ago I installed a full-spectrum Aristo V54 lamp. I
believe all their lamps are full-spectrum now.

Bingo!