[SI] Rulz proposal on Commentz

Old August 10th 12, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default [SI] Rulz proposal on Commentz

On 2012-08-09 17:41:55 -0700, SI Committee
said:

WHEREAS The Committee, has been reading recent chatter in these
newsgroups regarding commentz that follow each SI round with great
interest.

WHEREAS The Committee, wishing to improve the SI and make it an
agreeable experience for participantz and lurkerz;

WHEREAS The Committee believes that commentz are and integral part of
the SI experience;

WHEREAS The Committee always seeks the opinions, inputs and general
consent of the participants before making major rulz changes;

NOW THEREFORE The Committee puts to you the following proposed Rul:

"Comments are to be submitted by e-mail to the SI admin in
the 5 days following the posting of the images for that round.

This adds to the burden of the Committee with regard to data handling.

Comments shall not be posted in the usenet groups where the SI
is normally discussed (distribution above) by the commentatorz.

This changes the SI fundamentally from what was a unique Usenet
experience into something else. If there is going to be a dialog
stimulated by one SI image, or all of them, let that dialog take place,
unfiltered in the Photo-groups

The SI admin shall not read the commentz.

Good luck with that!

The SI Admin will then post all of the commentz at the same
time on the 6th day following the posting of the images. And
such to be a separate post for each commentator."

This is going to get messy!
I don't believe this proposal will satisfy the full, partial, or cherry
picker commentators, lurkers, or pseudo-indifferents. I believe there
is a reflexive expectation that comments should somehow, miraculously
appear within minutes of the publication of a mandate vis Pbase.

The Committee looks forward to your comments on the above proposal and
seeks - in the case of favourable reaction - to implement such a rul
change on time for the next image posting for the "On the Road" mandate.

Savageduck

Old August 10th 12, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-08-10 10:34 , tony cooper wrote:

The only additional rule I would like to see - and it's more of a
suggestion than a rule - is that all comments should include a link to
the PBase page. I get tired of finding that link again to understand
a comment about an image that I've forgotten what looks like.

I usually do put the name of the photog and the link.

I would suggest that this is a recommendation (that I agree
wholeheartedly with) and I'll add it to the non-rulz comments
suggestions on the rulz page that nobody reads.

As a two-screen user, I put up the PBase page on one screen and read
the comments on the second screen. I do bookmark the PBase page, but
I have a lot of bookmarks.

But you're using a Windows system with two screens, it must be UN-bearable!

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old August 11th 12, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:34:56 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

The only additional rule I would like to see - and it's more of a
suggestion than a rule - is that all comments should include a link to
the PBase page. I get tired of finding that link again to understand
a comment about an image that I've forgotten what looks like.

Excellent suggestion.

Eric Stevens
Old August 11th 12, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:04:26 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

My camera's not working for me, either.

That happened to me too, yesterday. Fortunately its working again
today.

Eric Stevens
Old August 11th 12, 03:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Coe

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:04:26 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:
: On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:50:06 -0400, Alan Browne
: wrote:
:
: On 2012-08-10 10:34 , tony cooper wrote:
:
[...]
: It's a lot of heavy lifting, I know. Sometime I waste as much as a
: full second manhandling something from one screen to another.
:
: I've been told the computer should be the one working for me. It's
: not doing its job. I uploaded today's shots, and the damned computer
: wouldn't turn a single one of them into a keeper. This is the third
: photo outing in a row where I haven't come up with an even remotely
: interesting shot. My camera's not working for me, either.

I know exactly how you feel. The last time I asked my Domke bag to hand me the
telephoto lens I wanted, it totally ignored me.

Bob
Old August 11th 12, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Coe

: wrote:
:
: The only additional rule I would like to see - and it's more of a
: suggestion than a rule - is that all comments should include a link to
: the PBase page. I get tired of finding that link again to understand
: a comment about an image that I've forgotten what looks like.
:
: Excellent suggestion.

And it's absurdly easy. Many people send their comments in the form of a reply
to the Maximum Leader's announcement that the pictures have been posted. And
IIRC, that announcement invariably includes the link.

Bob
Old August 11th 12, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

: wrote:
:
: The only additional rule I would like to see - and it's more of a
: suggestion than a rule - is that all comments should include a link to
: the PBase page. I get tired of finding that link again to understand
: a comment about an image that I've forgotten what looks like.
:
: Excellent suggestion.

And it's absurdly easy. Many people send their comments in the form of a reply
to the Maximum Leader's announcement that the pictures have been posted. And
IIRC, that announcement invariably includes the link.

It includes a link to the page, but I believe what is necessary (and how
I understood Tony's para above) is that comments include links to each
image being commented on. I may have misunderstood Tony's intent.

Old August 11th 12, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Alan Browne

On 2012-08-10 16:04 , tony cooper wrote:

It's a lot of heavy lifting, I know. Sometime I waste as much as a
full second manhandling something from one screen to another.

I shouldn't waste my time with this, but it is trivial for the OS window
manager to accept an oversized window and display it on the other
display and/or re-size it. MS don't seem to grasp that and yet they've
supported dual (or more) screens for over 10 years. Maybe Win 8 will
handle it?

On the Mac (where else?) OS X windows (say the finder (directory)),
Google Chrome and other apps re-size automatically too. Even
Thunderbird edit windows will resize down with no fuss.

Google Earth does not - but it will at least move to the smaller display.

Whether that is enough to cause even 0.00001% of Windblows users to see
the light is doubtful.

Old August 11th 12, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN

On 8/11/2012 12:11 PM, tony cooper wrote:

wrote:

My camera's not working for me, either.

That happened to me too, yesterday. Fortunately its working again
today.

I did manage to catch one keeper. My mental title for it is:
Bright Bokeh.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Other/...08-10-1-X2.jpg

To my eye the picture is the people. Is it really necessary to show the
top half of the image? It keeps drawing my eye away from what I perceive
to be the story.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/97242118/2012-08-10-1-X2%5B1%5D.jpg

(Hope that worked, it was my first attempt.

--
Peter
Old August 11th 12, 06:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Robert Coe

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 12:09:37 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:
: On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:22:30 -0400, Alan Browne
: wrote:
:
: wrote:
: : On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:34:56 -0400, tony cooper
: : wrote:
: :
[...]
: You did misunderstand. All I want is a link to the page itself in
: each poster's comments about the images. I'll jump from image to
: image. I put the PBase page up on the second screen.
:
: When posters follow a comment that contains the link, or when they add
: the link, it works fine. However, some posters originate a post a
: with no link.

I'm with Tony; a link to the page is enough. When we start having SIs with 50
or 100 contributors, we can reconsider.

Bob