No Subject

Old October 5th 05, 01:00 AM

Default No Subject

From: jimnjen not home NOSPAM yahoo
Subject: Sharp focusing with cheap (slow) lenses
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:55:34 -0500

"David Geesaman" wrote:
Well, here's the deal. I have a 75-300 Tamron on a 300D. Typically I
shoot equestrian events, taking available light shots continously as the
rider goes about. Many of these are out of focus, using either center-point
or array focus.

I'd like your tips on maximizing my success rate using this gear. Last
time I tried to hit the shutter the moment I heard the focusing stop.
Stopping down for a large DOF is a good strategy, but that can't be done
when the light is low. For those of you (most, I'm sure) using better
equipment, try to remember when your gear wasn't so sharp and quick.

Dave

Dave.,..
Boy has technology become a crutch. In the past we had to learn how to
focus. On the other hand my Nikon F has a focusing screen and a split
image range finder that you cnae actually use to focus. Ny Nikon 90s has
a decent enough focusing screen, which I can actually use to manual
focus but no range finder, which would make it easier. (Don't tell my about
the AF light in the lower left corner, my eye is watching the center of
the screen and the action) But alas, the D70's screen, as does yours
from your comments, makes manual focus difficult. Just doesn't quit do
it.
Do you have bifocals? I find focusing with upper part (far distance)
works better rather than the lower, near, lens.
All that being said, I see no reason your Canon should not be able to
focus on Equistrian events in good or bad light assuming these events
aren't at midnight. Certainly, I see no reason my Nikon's wouldn't function
in these conditions. Your Canon should certainly be able to (at
least if take the general excellent comments on Canon AF systems). It
appears time that you bought a better lens. The optics and the mechanics of
the lens have always been what made a great camera and a great photo.
Don't skimp on the glass Zeiss, Lietz, and early Nikon and later Nikon
Canon are known for their great glass. Do it.
Everyone need to confess.
The truth comes out... I own a Tamron Teleconvertor, only because Nikon
did not make one that would preserve all the automation of the 80-200
F2.8 non AIS lens. It works OK, I don't have the Nikon version to compare
against, but I am happy with the results. Not as sharp as the native
80-200.. but decent enough. I am not publishing in National Geographic.

--
Jim