Comments, Suggestions and HELP?

Old January 10th 04, 07:23 AM
Princess

Default Comments, Suggestions and HELP?

Comments, Suggestions and HELP?

http://members.shaw.ca/tcbulmer/index.html

I find that posting to these NG's really has been the best help ever.
People are very candid and generally don't hold back. The product of
anonimitu I suppose. Whatever works I say! So .............. again I post my
latest creation with the hopes that those who in the past have helped me
will continue to do so and anyone else with a moment to spare will do the
same. I don't offend with critisism as long as it is constructive. I truly
believe that we are all learning all the time. LIfe is, afterall, a learning
adventure, don't you think? Thanks in advance to all who take the time to
read this and to take a look at my site.

http://members.shaw.ca/tcbulmer/index.html

Old January 10th 04, 11:50 AM
PWW

Sorry, but I would say these are good snapshot type of images.

Most of the scenics would be improved with some foreground subjects to help
with perspective and interest. When taking the photograph, just stop a few
extra minutes and think how can I make this a better image. Ahhhh, this is
where the reading of good books could help. Get some good books on
composition and just try these same type of images using some of the
techniques, out of the books, pertaining to perspective and interest and see
if you like the images better.

The Nature photos also could use some extra interest. The trees (and the
dead stalks) might be improved with a Vertical orientation, and a tighter
crop that might bring the subject out better. I mean; what is the point, if
it is the trees, then it could be a better image with more of the trees
being highlighted. Is it the moss on the trees then the moss could take a
more dominate position. And so on and so on. On the flower photos, the
blooms close-ups are ok, but go past the easy shots. Dig deeper and really
try something different. To see what I mean, see my site and click on the
flowers pages. And watch for distracting objects in the frame as in
http://members.shaw.ca/tcbulmer/images/nature/nature%20(4).jpg.
This is one that I like the best but find distracting the out of focus bloom
on the right, the bug on the petal and the vacant spaces.

I would suggest getting some books on composition. I would recommend John
Shaws books for a good bit of info. Even books made for artist, painters and
such, can be good info on composition, interest and perspective control.

I think you can really make some nice images with a few extra tricks of the
trade.

--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,

On 1/10/04 2:23 AM, in article vLNLb.43968$ts4.18983@pd7tw3no, "Princess"

Old January 10th 04, 03:12 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Princess" wrote:

Comments, Suggestions and HELP?
http://members.shaw.ca/tcbulmer/index.html

Many of your pictures have a pronounced lean to them.

Example: http://members.shaw.ca/tcbulmer/images/b&w/b&w%20(20).jpg

You might try a gridded focusing screen in your camera. And a
tripod -- it makes lining things up a lot easier.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Old January 11th 04, 06:54 PM
stan

I think that some of your shots are snapshots. Yet you seem to be looking. Which
is more than a snapshot shooter does. I particularly like photos of "Portals" and
while you're thinking about them there is nothing in or through the door that
holds interest. Paul mentioned the out of focus tulip. This is something to think
about in all shots. Many photos need an anchor in the foreground or you get a vast
wasteland of water before the mountain. Think about that and make sure if it is
out off focus there is reason.
http://members.shaw.ca/tcbulmer/images/Scenic/scenic%20(12).jpg does nothing for
me. The majesty of mountains is hard to capture. Think about what it is that
moves you. Keep objects straight, don't center so much but DON'T stop shooting.
You have some that are real close. Good Luck If you want a critque on any
individual shot e-mail me.
Stan
Visual Arts Photography