New Mamiya 645 may influence DSLR prices

Old September 29th 04, 11:29 AM
deryck lant

Default New Mamiya 645 may influence DSLR prices

The new 22 Meg Mamiya ZD 645 format DSLR with 36x48mm imager is rumoured
to sell
at around 10K US Dollars:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/ev...iya/ZD_en.html

If so it will dampen down the price of the new 1DsMkII Canon and maybe
influence
Nikon as well.

Deryck
Old September 29th 04, 05:20 PM
Bill Hilton

From: deryck lant

The new 22 Meg Mamiya ZD 645 format DSLR with 36x48mm imager is rumoured
to sell at around 10K US Dollars:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/ev...iya/ZD_en.html

If so it will dampen down the price of the new 1DsMkII Canon and maybe
influence Nikon as well.

Couldn't quite tell from the link but I THINK it's $12,000 for the basic camera
body (based on the 10,000 euro price mentioned?) and THEN you gotta buy the 22
Mpixel back separately. You can also use existing film backs with it.

The Phase One 22 Mpixel back (P25) retails for around $30,000 (and the 16
Mpixel back for $17,000) so if the ZD with a similar back is anywhere close to
this in price I don't think Canon will be worried just yet

$10,000 US for the body and the back would be a relative bargain and definitely
put pressure on Canon though.

Bill

Old September 29th 04, 05:57 PM
deryck lant

The message
from dy (Bill Hilton) contains these words:

From: deryck lant

[...]

The Letsgodigital article was referring specifically to the
specification of the
Mamiya ZD Digital Camera when it mentioned 10K euro. There is in addition a ZD
digital back for some existing Mamiya Bodies. All very confusing.

If the price is correct a lot of studio photographers will find it a
compelling
choice. Landscape too as the weight will be slightly less than the
1DsMkII. Nice
light Lithium Ion battery helps.

Interesting times ahead!

Deryck
Old September 29th 04, 06:03 PM
Richard Cockburn

"Tony" wrote in
. com:

If at all it, would influence them upward.

You're always so negative.

--
"We are twice armed if we fight with faith." (Plato)

-Richard Cockburn
Old September 29th 04, 07:59 PM
Alan Browne

deryck lant wrote:

The new 22 Meg Mamiya ZD 645 format DSLR with 36x48mm imager is rumoured
to sell
at around 10K US Dollars:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/ev...iya/ZD_en.html

If so it will dampen down the price of the new 1DsMkII Canon and maybe
influence
Nikon as well.

Not sure about the effect on prices for "35mm" format DSLR's, if any.

However, this announcement is very interesting in its presentation of a body
with integrated digital _and_ a same spec back for the 645AF series.

It is odd in that the A/D is 14 bit/chan, saved as 12 bit/chan. While there is
noise in the bottom end, it seems they are throwing out some detail... (How the
1Ds Mk II compares in this regard remains unclear ... to date all we've seen
about it are mentions of processed 24 bit ... 8b/chan no specifics on A/D or
maximum saveable dynamic (that I've seen)).

They don't mention the sync speed, probably the ordinary 1/125 of the other
645AF's (unless a leaf shutter'd lens is used which is not always the case).

Cheers,
Alan

Old September 29th 04, 08:27 PM
deryck lant

The message
from Alan Browne contains these words:

deryck lant wrote:

[...]

Yes, Letsgodigital state sync speed remains at 1/125.

Some more specs at dpreview, with a few typos:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2004/Mamiya/

If the price really is 10K euro then there will be a long waiting list.

Deryck

Old September 29th 04, 10:18 PM
Gordon Moat

Tony wrote:

If at all it, would influence them upward.

That would surprise me. I think the advantage by comparison for Canon is that
they offer some faster lenses, and some longer telephoto choices than Mamiya have
available. The other issue is that only some photographers can really make full
use of a 22 MP offering. Working with even larger image files also kills some of
the digital time advantage when post processing. At this point in time 22 MP is a
limited market.

My guess is that the Kodak DCS full frame digital SLR provides more pricing
pressure on Canon than the Mamiya ever could do. I think professionals wanting
many MP cameras would look at either Canon or Kodak first, unless they already
had several Mamiya lenses.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old September 30th 04, 12:38 AM
~Darrell Larose~

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
deryck lant wrote:

The new 22 Meg Mamiya ZD 645 format DSLR with 36x48mm imager is rumoured
to sell
at around 10K US Dollars:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/html/ev...iya/ZD_en.html

If so it will dampen down the price of the new 1DsMkII Canon and maybe
influence
Nikon as well.

Not sure about the effect on prices for "35mm" format DSLR's, if any.

Sensor prices rely on the economy of scale, if the Mamiya sensor sells in
volume, whether in a Mamiya, Bronica, Hasselblad, the end result is the
prices will come down. If this sensor was split in half we would then have
to 24x36mm sensors. This is a simplistic view, but silicon sort of works
like that...

Old September 30th 04, 12:45 AM
jjs

The new 22 Meg Mamiya ZD 645 format DSLR with 36x48mm imager is rumoured
to sell at around 10K US Dollars:

Gee, that much money would buy me a year off with film and supplies.