Scratch in rear lens cell!! How can it be reduced or removed?

Old September 9th 04, 02:41 AM
Bob Monaghan

see http://medfmt.8k.com/bronrecoatingsp.html on lens refiguring services
etc.

that said, the short answer is DON'T! ;-) simply do the India Ink or
similar coverup recommended by many users at the above URL and don't worry
about it ;-)

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************

Old September 9th 04, 02:48 AM
Jos. Burke

Default Scratch in rear lens cell!! How can it be reduced or removed?

Scratch in rear lens cell!! How can it be reduced or removed?

I have a scratch in the center outer glass of the rear lens cell on a rather
rare lens and am curious as to option for removal via polishing or reduction
by same method. The lens --N. Perscheid is the name and that should tell the
whole story!!
Suggestions and since it is a soft focus portrait lens any image degradation
is unseen!
J Burke

Old September 9th 04, 03:07 AM
Stacey

Jos. Burke wrote:

Scratch in rear lens cell!! How can it be reduced or removed?

I have a scratch in the center outer glass of the rear lens cell on a
rather rare lens and am curious as to option for removal via polishing or
reduction by same method.

Don't, you'll change the curve of the cell.

The lens --N. Perscheid is the name and that
should tell the whole story!!
Suggestions and since it is a soft focus portrait lens any image
degradation is unseen!

Then don't worry about the scratch? Best advice I can give is blacken it
with magic marker etc.
--

Stacey

Old September 9th 04, 04:41 AM
Bob G

I have a scratch in the center outer glass of the rear lens cell on a rather
rare lens and am curious as to option for removal via polishing or reduction
by same method. The lens --N. Perscheid is the name and that should tell the
whole story!!
Suggestions and since it is a soft focus portrait lens any image degradation
is unseen!

I wouldn't do it strictly on ethical principles, regardless of whether the lens
performance will be affected or not.

I know you will not attempt to sell the lens without telling the new owner that
it was "fixed", but, when you pass on, God forbid, your estate will undoubtedly
dispose of it unwittingly without revealing its hidden secret.

Bob G

Old September 9th 04, 12:43 PM
Shelley

Have you checked to see whether it's degrading the image? I was surprised
recently to notice for the first time that I have a fairly large scratch on
the rear cell of my 210 Apo Symmar. I bought the lens new about ten years
ago and when and how the scratch got there I have no idea but it hasn't
affected the quality of the photographs that I can see.

. ..

Old September 9th 04, 05:11 PM
Anonymous

Think about it: The scratch is SO far from the plane of focus, unless the
scratch is REALLY huge, it won't make a hoot of a difference.

"Shelley" wrote in message
Have you checked to see whether it's degrading the image? I was surprised
recently to notice for the first time that I have a fairly large scratch
on
the rear cell of my 210 Apo Symmar. I bought the lens new about ten years
ago and when and how the scratch got there I have no idea but it hasn't
affected the quality of the photographs that I can see.

. ..