Any good wild flower sites around Austin Texas?

Old March 10th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.nature

Default Any good wild flower sites around Austin Texas?

Bluebonnets are the usual early April flower for this area, but not this
year. Our extreme drought is causing few blooms and small plants. Mexican
hats and paint brushes are expected to be more normal. The Hill Country west
and NW of Austin should have some, and our local nesting eagles on Texas
highway 29 between Buchannan Dam and Llano should still be on or near the
nest. They usually leave the nest sometime in April. The web site
http://www.cottonwoodphotography.com...les%20Nest.htm
shows this year's hatch. The nest is about 100 yards from the highway, with
a heavily used parking area on the highway shoulder. It would be hard to
miss. The nest is unusual because it is so close to a major highway, and
because three mature adults tend the eaglets. This nest is about 60 miles
from Austin, with the drive there past lots of wildflowers in more normal
years. The same drive along Texas 29 should show many whitetail deer.
Hundreds are often seen in the ranch lands along the highway near and after
sundown. The best bluebonnets the past couple of years, in my opinion, was
along Willow Loop Rd, a few miles S of Llano off Texas 16. I have not heard
if there are any flowers of significance there this year.

We have been having sunshine in abundance. Average temperature so far this
year is staying about 15 degrees above average. All of central Texas is in a
"Red Flag Warning" condition for wildfires because of the very dry
conditions and high winds.

Richard wrote in message
news
Any suggestions for good wild flower sites, routes or trails around
the Austin area in Texas early next month?

We will be combining the flowers with birds especially and any other
wildlife that presents itself.

Looking forward to it and some sunshine!

Richard (in Ireland)