Questions on Canon 300D and etc. questions regarding digitalphotography

Old March 23rd 05, 04:00 PM
Matt Ion

Default Questions on Canon 300D and etc. questions regarding digitalphotography

Progressiveabsolution wrote:
I am very new to this area of photography and so my questions may be
basic in nature. These are the questions I have:

1) This question pertains to photo quality ONLY. All the features and
what have yous are obviously going to vary camera to camera, but I'm
only concerned with the photo quality. Granted this, digital camera
technology advances quickly everyday and there are mega dollar bodies
out there. What seperates this body from any that are out there now
and to come in future granted the same glass (lens) is on each body? In
other words, is there a limitation to this camera's body that would
make someone "upgrade" now or ever?...again, these questions only
having to do with a camera's body and it's capabilities to produce a
photograph.

At the very minimum, a camera is simply a box that holds a lens in front
of a piece of film... or to modernize the definition, some other
image-recording substance. After that, the main difference from one
camera to the next essentially boils down to bells and whistles.

With digital though, you add to the mix, the quality of the
light-recording mechanism (generally CCD or CMOS sensor).

Generally, none of these items can be "upgraded", whether you're talking
film or digital. Only a very few high-end cameras will let you change
out the sensor (some will let you select between film and digital backs
on the same camera). Hardware-wise, what you buy is what you're stuck
with forever, unless you're really good with a magnifying glass and very
small tools.

Digitals do also have the advent of firmware, the semi-hardcoded
software that runs things, and that can often be upgraded to fix
problems and add/enable/change some functionality, but again, those are
typically bells and whistles, and basic functions and image quality are
still mainly limited by the design of the hardware.

Short answer then: there is and probably never will be any way to
"upgrade" any camera body to improve image quality (the exception being,
again, high-end systems with interchangeable backs). Once you have a
body, the only thing that will affect image quality will be the quality
of the glass you put in front of it. (And just to nip the inevitable
arguments in the bud, I'm not talking about things affected by camera
shake, poor focus, bad exposure, etc; I'm keeping with the OP's concern
of "best possible" quality and "all else being equal".)

2) Can any non-dSLR camera compete with a dSLR in image quality?
Again, another image quality question since I'm only interested in the
quality of the photo.

The two main things that affect quality in a digital camera are the
design and construction of the lens, and the capabilities of the sensor.
It certainly is possible to build a non-dSLR (aka ZLR) digital with
equivalent optics and sensor to those in an SLR, but the ZLR would end
up being pretty much the same size, weight and cost as the SLR, without
the advantage of being able to swap out the lens, which is not a very
good selling point. ZLRs tend to use smaller sensors, which allows them
to use smaller lenses, making them lighter, more compact, and in the end
cheaper, at the expense of maximum available quality.

Whether the difference in quality is significant or noticeable to you is
entirely subjective, of course.

3) I have been recently made aware that older lenses can mount on the
300D. Is it worth using an older (but good) lens Vs. the new ones made
specifically for the 300D? Take for example, something older that
Canon produced vs. one of their L series lenses. The reason I ask this
is because I wonder if the reason to get the newer lenses may have more
to do with the weight vs. the older ones or maybe also less noise,
smoother functioning, etc. Again, only interested in photo quality and
trying to figure out if the older lenses can compete with the newer
ones.

Any Canon EF-mount lenses (ie. those designed for EOS-series cameras,
including the L-series glass) will work on the 300D, or any other
current Canon dSLRs. Those with the old FD-mount from the Canon
manual-focus cameras won't work, but the EOS has been around for a good,
oh, 15-20 years now, and has a pretty substantial lineup on its own. If
you have some old FD lenses that you're really adamant about using,
there are adapters available that will let them work, with reduced
functionality (obviously, no AF), but I wouldn't let this particular
"limitation" be a concern.

4) Lastly, is the "hack/Wasia" firmware a good "upgrade" or is this
something debatable based on personal use and preference?

It enables several functions that the camera has in common with the 10D,
but that are disabled in the software; again, whether this are useful to
you or not is subjective. None of them directly affect image quality.
I installed it on my 300D within a week of buying it and have seen no
ill effects, and I've not heard of anyone else having any problems with
it either. Personally, I'd recommend installing it.
Old March 23rd 05, 04:15 PM
Steven Campbell

[...]

I know you have specifically mentioned old Canon lenses are compatible. I'd
just like to add that some aftermarket lenses are not compatible. I have a
Sigma 28 -70 lens that I used to use with my Canon 100 EOS however it just
gives ERR 99 on my new 300D. I have since spoke to Sigma and they say
certain lenses can be chipped to work with a DSLR but unfortunately not
mine.

Steven.

Old March 23rd 05, 11:32 PM
be_pissed

Matt Ion wrote:
snip
4) Lastly, is the "hack/Wasia" firmware a good "upgrade" or is this
something debatable based on personal use and preference?

It enables several functions that the camera has in common with the 10D,
but that are disabled in the software; again, whether this are useful to
you or not is subjective. None of them directly affect image quality. I
installed it on my 300D within a week of buying it and have seen no ill
effects, and I've not heard of anyone else having any problems with it
either. Personally, I'd recommend installing it.

Agreed, I've had the hack running for around a year without problems. If
I had to be given another 300D fresh out the box, the hack upgrade
would be one of the first things I'd do. It's quick amd easy.. say no
more

TJ
Old March 24th 05, 02:57 PM
Dave Herzstein

Progressiveabsolution wrote:
3) I have been recently made aware that older lenses can mount on the
300D. Is it worth using an older (but good) lens Vs. the new ones made
specifically for the 300D? Take for example, something older that
Canon produced vs. one of their L series lenses. The reason I ask this
is because I wonder if the reason to get the newer lenses may have more
to do with the weight vs. the older ones or maybe also less noise,
smoother functioning, etc. Again, only interested in photo quality and
trying to figure out if the older lenses can compete with the newer
ones.

The newer EF-S lenses are designed for digital only. The main advantage
of these lenses is better wide-angle performance and lighter weight.

If wide-angle is not a consideration, then the older EF lenses work as
well as anything that could be designed today.

-Dave