Two questions

Old September 18th 15, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default Two questions

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 21:25:10 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:43:50 -0700, Bill W
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 20:35:58 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Bill W
wrote:

It's
amazing the number of devices which don't like being run through a
hub.

almost none.

I think Eric is thinking the same as me - there are devices that have
instructions that tell you not to run them through a hub. Spyder is
one of them, and I'm too lazy to try to remember the others. That
doesn't mean they won't work through a hub, and I've never bothered to
try with any of them. It's likely that some, or even most of them
would work in spite of the warnings. So anyway, with lots of ports,
there's no need to give it any thought.

i've used spyder thru a hub without issue.

the only thing i can think of that might not work with a hub are
devices that sink more than the usual amount of current and are plugged
into a bus-powered hub. the solution there is to use a self-powered
hub.

note that there are ****-quality hubs out there which could cause some
devices to not work, not because the device is plugged into a hub, but
because they're **** quality.

And that last part is likely the reason for the warnings. Some tech
support centers probably got enough calls that ended in the discovery
that the (****ty) hub was at fault, that they decided to try to
lighten the load on their support team by telling buyers not to use
hubs at all. Easy way out, and why not?

My hub is a D-Link unit with a power supply. My Wacom tablet did not
function well plugged into it.

Odd - I have the same things (Bamboo, and DUB H7), and mine works
fine. Is your hub USB2, and are you using the latest Wacom drivers?
Old September 18th 15, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

Back in the old days (before nospam was born!),

you have no idea when i was born.

the technology was
changing so fast that I kept debating what computer to buy.

technology is changing even faster now.

Finally, I
read an article in a print magazine (before online magazines) that said
it doesn't matter what you buy, by the time you get it unpacked, it will
be outmoded.

if you read it in a magazine, then it must be true.

So when the TRS-80 Model 4 came out, I went right out and
bought a TRS-80 Model 3!

you're probably still using it.
Old September 18th 15, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It's
amazing the number of devices which don't like being run through a
hub.

almost none.

For a start:
http://support.datacolor.com/index.p.../List/Index/34
Spyder: Ensure you are utilizing a rear USB port; on laptops unplug
all USB peripherals. Do not utilize front ports, powered hubs, monitor
or keyboard ports

they may say that but it's certainly not required. i haven't had any
problem using a spyder on a hub.

you can tell they're full of **** when they say not to use front ports.

where a port is located makes no difference. they probably both go to
the same header on the board. the next thing you know, they'll say only
use the usb ports on the right side of the laptop and not the left
side.

however, there can be an issue with a keyboard usb port because a
keyboard is a bus-powered hub, which might not be able to provide the
current that a spyder needs.

Nikon D750: Copied from the manual
"Connect the camera diectly to the computer; do not connect the
cable via a USB hub or keyboard."

although i don't have a d750, i've yet to use a camera that didn't work
through a hub, including 3 nikon slrs, a canon bridge camera plus all
ios devices (which show up as cameras).

Dikon D300: Copied from the manual
"Connect the camera directly to the computer; do not connect the
cable via a USB hub or keyboard.

shouldn't that be dikon n300?

i get to nitpick too.

nikon also says not to use non-nikon lenses, flashes and batteries.
guess what. they work too.

I have encountered this kind of thing with other devices also.

yet they all work fine on a hub.
Old September 18th 15, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

When I replace my old Wacom Bamboo with a newer model, I had problems.
There are many posts on the Wacom forums suggesting that using a hub
can cause problems. Not will, but can.

wacom tablets work perfectly fine on a hub. i've done it many times.

When I changed from plugging it into a hub to plugging into a machine
port, my problems went away. Empirical evidence says the change was
what made the problem go away.

what were these alleged problems?

whatever it was could have been (and likely was) due to a low quality
usb hub or perhaps another device on the bus. or it could have been a
coincidence.
Old September 18th 15, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-09-18 02:02:10 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 21:43:52 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

When I replace my old Wacom Bamboo with a newer model, I had problems.
There are many posts on the Wacom forums suggesting that using a hub
can cause problems. Not will, but can.

wacom tablets work perfectly fine on a hub. i've done it many times.

Sure you have, and you've tried all Wacom tablets, and all the posters
to the Wacom forums are making **** up, and you really do take
photographs.

My Intuos 4 is run via a Belkin unpowered hub without issue. My old
Intuos 2 is dead in the water.

Savageduck

Old September 18th 15, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

although i don't have a d750, i've yet to use a camera that didn't work
through a hub, including 3 nikon slrs, a canon bridge camera plus all
ios devices (which show up as cameras).

You upload via a cable connection?

you are apparently *completely* unaware that there's a lot more to
using a cable than simply transferring photos.

tethered shooting and remote control of the camera come to mind.

You don't have a card reader?

i have several, including one built into the computer.

i also have an eyefi card, which means that i don't need to use card
readers or cables at all if i don't want to. sometimes that's the way
to fly and sometimes it isn't. choice is good.

How
prehistoric.

actually it's cutting edge.

Really, what do you have against progress?

nothing.

any other stupid questions?
Old September 18th 15, 03:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 13:32:48 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:15:36 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-09-17 19:52:40 +0000, "PAS" said:

"PeterN" wrote in message

I think you should buy a Rolls to make nospam happy.

I had my heart set on a Bentley but he'd claim it's substandard because
it's not a Rolls.

Well a Bentley is a VW after all, while a Rolls is a BMW.

You could always go for a Bugatti Veyron. Oh! wait, that is also a VW.

So it might be best to settle for a Koenigsegg.
http://koenigsegg.com

Or a particular Ferrari FXX with a reputed 1282hp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-8uAM4LWX0
If you haven't seen it before, it's worth watching.

And that's just a leisurely roll around the track. I do love the sound
of the rev matching on downshifts. That alone gives you an idea of the
responsiveness of that engine. That thing's got twice the HP of most
race cars.
Old September 18th 15, 03:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2015-09-17 19:52:40 +0000, "PAS" said:

"PeterN" wrote in message

I think you should buy a Rolls to make nospam happy.

I had my heart set on a Bentley but he'd claim it's substandard because
it's not a Rolls.

Well a Bentley is a VW after all, while a Rolls is a BMW.

You could always go for a Bugatti Veyron. Oh! wait, that is also a VW.

So it might be best to settle for a Koenigsegg.
http://koenigsegg.com

Or a particular Ferrari FXX with a reputed 1282hp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-8uAM4LWX0
If you haven't seen it before, it's worth watching.

And that's just a leisurely roll around the track. I do love the sound
of the rev matching on downshifts. That alone gives you an idea of the
responsiveness of that engine. That thing's got twice the HP of most
race cars.

The rev matching is probably automatic and part of the gear-change
cycle.

Eric Stevens
Old September 18th 15, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

My Intuos 4 is run via a Belkin unpowered hub without issue. My old
Intuos 2 is dead in the water.

I think the point is that individual configurations determine the
results. To say that "wacom tablets work perfectly fine on a hub" is
one of those generalizations that shouldn't be uttered.

nonsense. wacom tablets work perfectly fine on a hub. several people
here have already confirmed they've done it without issue.

if you're having a problem, then the problem is *elsewhere*.

The only
reason nospam made it is to - as usual - disagree with someone.

wrong.
Old September 18th 15, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Floyd L. Davidson

nospam wrote:
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
wrote:

Research online seems to indicate that you're right.
Yet I've never seen that, on my machine or others,
though I have to say I've never specifically looked into
it.

The OS, or whatever software you use to see it, doesn't
necessarily distinquish between real cores and
hyperthreaded logical cores.

of course it can. it *has* to so that it can optimally schedule
processes.

Read it before saying stupid things. Yes it can, and yet
maybe it doesn't.

You are talking about just any random software, while
my comment was about the specific software that user
was getting information from.

Stupid statements don't help anyone...

And with a multi-core chip one has to be careful to
disable hyperthreading in the BIOS configuration if that
is not wanted. Otherwise a 2 core chip can show up as 4
logical cores, but instead of getting the expected extra
processing power it doesn't happen unless the load is
spread over at least 4 CPU intensive programs.

there is no reason to disable it.

a modern operating system will manage that *for* you.

Oh, and how does it know which way you actually do want
it? There are specific circumstances when one would
want either of the two. There is no "automatic" way to
know. It takes a human brain to decide. (Oh, wait,
that may just explain your statement...)

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://www.apaflo.com/
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)