Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

Old October 15th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

In article , Neil
wrote:

keep in mind that i've been using them longer than you have, since
word/excel were available for macs before they were for windows.

I've used Word under DOS before Macs existed. So, I don't know what you
think you were using, but it wasn't the first versions of Word.

He did say BEFORE windows not before DOS there's quite a differnce without
mouse control or WYSIWYG

Word under DOS had both mouse control and WYSIWYG, as did all apps that
needed it, such as drawing, painting, etc.

adding a mouse does not make dos a gui os and word on dos was *not*
wysiwyg. dos was not capable of that.

the mac version of ms word was the first version of word that was
actually wysiwyg because everything on the mac was wysiwyg. it was also
*much* easier to use than the dos version. macwrite was even easier to
use.

https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-word/1x-dos
In 1983 Microsoft released the first version of Microsoft Word for
DOS on the IBM PC. It is a character cell / text mode based
application, but can make use of a Microsoft mouse - which had also
just been released. Microsoft Word for DOS was heavily promoted as
"WYSIWYG", although its limited on-screen formatting made that a bit
of a joke.
https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-word/1x-mac
Microsoft Word 1.x for Macintosh was a vastly different product from
Microsoft Word for DOS. It used Apple's windowing GUI with drop down
menus, and rendered both graphics and multiple fonts directly on the
screen similar to how they would appear on a printer.
The IBM PC would not get a version of Microsoft Word with a similar
GUI until years later.

FWIW, Windows 1, 2, & 3.x
were merely DOS shells, and there were better shells available prior to
them.

which is one reason why they were crap.

classic mac os wasn't a shell. it was a full gui os written from the
ground up.
Old October 15th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

I just stuck a USB stick containing images in my (Windows) computer.
Nothing popped up to tell me what to do. Given what you've said about
your sister's computer skills, without instructions from you she
wouldn't know what to do. But, she wouldn't know what to do if you
told her to back-up her files, either.

If I insert a USB stick (with some files on it) in my Linux computer, a
box will pop up saying "Removable medium is inserted.... Please select
the action you want to perform:..." Usually first on the list is the
file manager.

I've never used Apple/Mac OS, and I quit Windows at end-of-life for XP.
Maybe Linux is now the easier operating system?!

not even close. on a mac, a usb stick will show up on the desktop with
no user interaction (what you're calling the file manager) and can also
be set to auto-launch an app to view/manage photos if desired. for
cameras, that's normally what happens.

https://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-c.../How-to-Photo-
for-OS-X-auto-launch-Mac-screenshot-003.jpg
Old October 15th 18, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 12:16:12 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

https://support.apple.com/library/co...m/applecare/im
ages/en
_US/osx/tm_new_drive.png

Thank you for offering an Apple-only solution to the solution of a
problem involving Windows 10.

backups are not a platform specific issue.

The presumed ease of use of Time Machine is.

it's not presumed. it *is* easier.

... and the relevance of this to Windows 10 is ...?

that as good as win10 is, it's still not as easy to use as it could be.

But what's that got to do with the specific problem of backing up
Windows 10?

just because windows lacks something as easy to use as time machine
doesn't mean it does not exist.

If Windows lacks it there in point in you citing it.

that sentence does not make sense as written.

Quite right. I'll try again, If Windows lacks it there is there any
point in you citing it?

yes.

What point is there in citing it in the context of Windows 10?

In any case, I am quite certain my Apple-only sister would say "What
is Time Machine" and then have to be shown in detail how to use it.

nope. she just needs to connect an external drive and click the 'use as
backup disk' button. it really is that simple.

What makes you think that if she couldn't use a USB memory stick she
could connect an external drive and click the 'use backup' button
(what use back up button?).

this isn't specifically about her, but it really isn't very difficult.
if she can't handle it, someone else in the household can.

This is slightly hilarious. You are now accepting the possibility that
she might not be able to handle a task. At the same time you are
asserting that there *will* be someone else in the house to handle it.

you're assuming again.

I'm not. I'm making explicit your assumption, that there will be
someone else in the house to handle it.

how did she manage to plug the computer into mains power and set it up?
that is a *lot* more steps than for time machine.

How did she manage to do these things as well as setting up and
connecting to her network connection? I have no idea but can only
presume that someone did it for her.

then that someone can connect a hard drive and click a button for her.

She does not have resident technical assistance.

how does she manage to use the computer if she's so inept?

heck, driving a car is more complicated.

as i also said, there are additional options if one wants to tweak
things, such as choosing a different destination and/or excluding
certain files, but that's not required.

I am sure she would be quite mystified by the concept of destinations
in this context.

what part of "that's not required" is not clear?

The part where you wrote about it. What would a person such as my
sister do when confronted with the apparent need to choose a
destination?

she won't see that unless she goes looking for it.

So even if she needed it and knew what to do with it she wouldn't know
it was there?

she doesn't need it. that's the whole point.

and if she does, it's easy to find.

Only if you have someway of learning that its there.

it's designed to be easy to use, but with the flexibility for those who
need it. not everyone does. most people do not.

Eric Stevens
Old October 16th 18, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 12:16:12 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

To try to compare the complexity of the two tasks is ridiculous, but
that's where nospam shines: proposing the ridiculous just to argue.

nope. eric brought up usb sticks when the discussion was about the
simplicity of automatic backups.

I did that to illustrate how easily people can be frustrated by even
the simplest of unfamiliar tasks.

it's not unfamiliarity that's the problem, it's poor design.

How would you improve the design of a USB memory stick from the user's
point of view?

i already explained why sending photos on a usb stick is not a good
solution, with several alternatives. do try to keep up.

Dodge - twist - evade.

How should I go about sending you 4GB of photos?

Eric Stevens
Old October 16th 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

How would you improve the design of a USB memory stick from the user's
point of view?

i already explained why sending photos on a usb stick is not a good
solution, with several alternatives. do try to keep up.

Dodge - twist - evade.

nope.

How should I go about sending you 4GB of photos?

read previous post.
Old October 16th 18, 12:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 11:58:59 +1300, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 12:16:12 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

This is past the point of ridiculousness.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 16th 18, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

then what do you suggest eric's sister do, given that she is incapable
of such tasks, according to eric?
Old October 16th 18, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 20:29:45 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

What makes you think that if she couldn't use a USB memory stick she
could connect an external drive and click the 'use backup' button
(what use back up button?).

this isn't specifically about her, but it really isn't very difficult.
if she can't handle it, someone else in the household can.

This is slightly hilarious. You are now accepting the possibility that
she might not be able to handle a task. At the same time you are
asserting that there *will* be someone else in the house to handle it.

you're assuming again.

I'm not. I'm making explicit your assumption, that there will be
someone else in the house to handle it.

how did she manage to plug the computer into mains power and set it up?
that is a *lot* more steps than for time machine.

What kind of idiotic question is that? If she's plugged in an iron or
a toaster, she knows what is to be done with a power cord. If she
needs it "set up", the store where she bought it will do that.

What do "steps" have to do with anything?

How did she manage to do these things as well as setting up and
connecting to her network connection? I have no idea but can only
presume that someone did it for her.

then that someone can connect a hard drive and click a button for her.

This is past the point of ridiculousness.

then what do you suggest eric's sister do, given that she is incapable
of such tasks, according to eric?

The ridiculousness is that you refer to "automatic" back-ups being so
simple and completely ignore that the back-up procedure is only
automatic *after* it is set up for automatic back-ups. There is
nothing automatic about setting it up, and there are choices to be
made that the sister is not capable of understanding. You think she
knows if she wants an incremental or differential back-up?

Then you refer to connecting an external hard drive. Why would a
person who can't figure out how to view images on a USB stick want or
have an external drive? And, that means she'd be backing up on C, and
that's hardly any protection from loss.

My suggestion would be to Eric, not the sister: Send the USB stick
and include clear, step-by-step written instructions. There's no
reason to think that the sister isn't capable of following clear
instructions.

What's she's not capable of or interested in - evidently - is figuring
it out on her own.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 16th 18, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

[...]

there's nothing idiotic about it. if she can plug a cable into the
wall, then she can plug a cable into the back or side of a computer
(depending on model). it's actually easier than a power cord, since
there's no need to crawl under a desk nor is there a risk of electrical
shock.

If she
needs it "set up", the store where she bought it will do that.

stores don't normally do that, but if one did, they could connect the
hard drive for her.

What do "steps" have to do with anything?

a lot.

once again, you're babbling about things you know nothing about. i know
you like to argue, it's all you do, but you really should have a good
understanding of the topic before spewing.

How did she manage to do these things as well as setting up and
connecting to her network connection? I have no idea but can only
presume that someone did it for her.

then that someone can connect a hard drive and click a button for her.

This is past the point of ridiculousness.

then what do you suggest eric's sister do, given that she is incapable
of such tasks, according to eric?

The ridiculousness is that you refer to "automatic" back-ups being so
simple and completely ignore that the back-up procedure is only
automatic *after* it is set up for automatic back-ups. There is
nothing automatic about setting it up, and there are choices to be
made that the sister is not capable of understanding. You think she
knows if she wants an incremental or differential back-up?

once again, you're babbling about things you know absolutely nothing
about.

the setup is nothing more than clicking a single button. that is *it*:
https://support.apple.com/library/co...are/images/en_
US/osx/tm_new_drive.png

that link has been posted several times in this thread, which you've
deliberately ignored so that you can argue and demonstrate how little
you know.

Then you refer to connecting an external hard drive. Why would a
person who can't figure out how to view images on a USB stick want or
have an external drive?

one has nothing to do with the other.

And, that means she'd be backing up on C, and
that's hardly any protection from loss.

wrong on that too. you really have *no* clue whatsoever.

My suggestion would be to Eric, not the sister: Send the USB stick
and include clear, step-by-step written instructions. There's no
reason to think that the sister isn't capable of following clear
instructions.

he said he did that, as did several neighbors, and nothing worked.

wrong yet again.

What's she's not capable of or interested in - evidently - is figuring
it out on her own.

nor are you.
Old October 16th 18, 09:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 12:16:12 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

It has been for some time. But then, that's nospam (and me too I
guess).