I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

Old March 28th 18, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default I'm looking for a book on Photoshop - 'Inside Photoshop".

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 19:14:50 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

wrote

| Just curious, what search engine do you use the most these days?

Duckduckgo. It seems to be private. Occasionally
I use Google if DDG isn't adequate. And if I'm feeling
ambitious I sidestep the Google tracking URLs and go
direct to the site I want. I find that Google is better,
but DDG is usually good enough.

I resent Google trying to track every click, but
I also give them credit: Their site still works for
me despite disabling script and blocking pretty
much all of their other domains in HOSTS.

I haven't really used anything else for a while.
Bing was advertised from the start as specializing
in shopping. I have bookmarks for Ixquick and Zapmeta,
but I can't remember the last time I used either.
I'd be interested if there were a new one that
*only* looked for matching terms, and could handle
things like periods and dashes, but I'm not sure there's
a lot of difference between the different options.

I was using duckduckgo, but since they went to httpS, they are real slow
to load. I still do use google when I must, and I too have many of their
domains in HOSTS. I also block everything from Facebook in HOSTS.

Once and awhile I use Yahoo search, but it seems the first 2 pages are
all Amazon.com related, after I go to page 3 or 4 it seems fairly
adaquate.

The other two I like are dogpile.com and metacrawler.com

Old March 28th 18, 06:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 13:37:18 -0700, Bill W wrote:

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 15:37:28 -0400, nospam

wrote: As for online shopping, I never caught that bug. I still prefer going to
actual stores,

stores don't carry the wide range of products that can be found online.

I live in a pretty big metro area, and I can't even find **** around
here. Anyone who rejects online shopping is severely limiting himself
for no good reason. It's not a matter of saving money, it's a matter
of getting exactly what you want, and quickly.

I live in a rural area, so my stores are VERY limited. Besides the mom
and pop small stores, we have a Dollar General and 15 miles away,
Walmart. But for basic home and personal needs those places have most of
what I need. If I want building materials I have to drive 55 miles to go
to Home Depot or Menards. But that's just part of living in a rural
area.

If I want electronics or computer stuff, I go on ebay. There is no place
locally that sells that stuff. And as I said before, I buy a lot of car
parts on ebay too. We have 2 local auto parts stores, but the parts on
ebay are almost always half or less the store prices.

I think a lot of online shopping depends on your tastes. If you want
fancy clothing, go online, but if you just wear blue jeans and t-shirts
like me, I can get that stuff at Walmart cheaper than almost any other
place and as far as clothing, I really prefer to try it on before I buy
it. Last year I bought a dressy shirt online for a special occasion. It
said LARGE. I wear Large. That shirt was so small I couldnt even get
pull it on my body. Luckily, I know a young guy who helps me with some
of my farm work, and that shirt not only fit him, but he really liked
it. I gave it to him as a bonus for all the help he gives me. That saved
all the hassles of returns...

Old March 28th 18, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 19:22:33 -0400, "Mayayana"
wrote:

wrote

| Unless there was a ver 5.00, 5.01 would be the first in the "5" series.
| If you got it on a CD, was it ver 5.01? There could have been more
| (higher) versions of "5", and probably were.

I don't know the original version offhand I'd have to
dig out the disk. But I'm running 5.03. There was a
minor update at some point and I saved it.

I thought there were more versions of "5".

| WinXP actually still works fine for everything I do, including the
| internet. But I grew to love Win98 and still love it.

I can understand that. I stayed with 98 for a long time.
XP started with the restrictions, product activation, etc.
But I find XP tamable. I use it on FAT32 to avoid file
restrictions. And I remove "System File Protection/PC
Health".
The one thing I appreciate about XP vs 98 is that it's
far more stable and efficient with enough power.

I find Win98 just as stable as XP. But that might be becuse I run it on
a computer with the maximum RAM that 98 allowed. I clear cache and
clutter daily, and defrag weekly. I also run Kernel-EX, which was a good
after market addition.

Yea, XP always takes some taming, and that activation is a pain
everytime I want to install a new hard drive. But XP was always a decent
OS, and had far better USB support than 98.

For awhile, I was running Win2000. That was similar to XP, but lacked
soem features. But there was always a problem with 2000. I could be
using it, load a webpage in Firefox, and my computer would suddenly
reboot for no reason. I just replaced it with XP and never had that
happen again. I never did much with WinME, but it seems that both ME and
2000 had some serious problems with memory usage.Win98 was well made,
and XP was too, excluding all the annoyances. But ME and 2000 were both
flawed. I heard that XP SP1 had problems too, but when I began using XP,
I began with SP2, then went to SP3.

Old March 28th 18, 11:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

I was using duckduckgo, but since they went to httpS, they are real slow
to load.

no they aren't. duckduckgo loads instantly.

the problem is at your end, namely your obsolete computer and software.
Old March 28th 18, 11:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

I find Win98 just as stable as XP. But that might be becuse I run it on
a computer with the maximum RAM that 98 allowed. I clear cache and
clutter daily, and defrag weekly. I also run Kernel-EX, which was a good
after market addition.

masochism at its finest.

Yea, XP always takes some taming, and that activation is a pain
everytime I want to install a new hard drive.

changing a hard drive shouldn't trigger it but if it does, it's trivial
to reactivate.

unless you pirated it. then it's a pain.

But XP was always a decent
OS, and had far better USB support than 98.

that's not saying much, and you still don't have usb 3 support.
Old March 28th 18, 11:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-28 09:22:18 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

WinXP actually still works fine for everything I do,

I can still use pen and papper to do most things ;-)

Right... But your male secretary does it way better!

Not to mention that I still get to play with DOS, and I still find DOS
real useful for certain things, and at times enjoy playing with it
still.

and you still talking about DOS ;-) Some people never grow up ;-P

DOS is fairly up to date, unlike CP/M...
--
teleportation kills

Old March 28th 18, 12:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-28 09:22:18 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

WinXP actually still works fine for everything I do,

I can still use pen and papper to do most things ;-)

Right... But your male secretary does it way better!

That's why we aren't allowed male secretaries, perhaps.

Not to mention that I still get to play with DOS, and I still find DOS
real useful for certain things, and at times enjoy playing with it
still.

and you still talking about DOS ;-) Some people never grow up ;-P

DOS is fairly up to date, unlike CP/M...

Maybe it's time to ditch DOS as well then, or we could go back to Latin.

I hate to break the news to you but you can't go back to Latin since
English is rather creolic in it's nature... :-))
--
teleportation kills

Old March 28th 18, 01:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-28 09:22:18 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

WinXP actually still works fine for everything I do,

I can still use pen and papper to do most things ;-)

Right... But your male secretary does it way better!

That's why we aren't allowed male secretaries, perhaps.

Not to mention that I still get to play with DOS, and I still find DOS
real useful for certain things, and at times enjoy playing with it
still.

and you still talking about DOS ;-) Some people never grow up ;-P

DOS is fairly up to date, unlike CP/M...

Maybe it's time to ditch DOS as well then, or we could go back to Latin.

I hate to break the news to you but you can't go back to Latin since
English is rather creolic in it's nature... :-))

If the Welsh can call a microwave oven a popty microdon then I'm sure
someone can come up with the latin equivalant.

Sure, but you can't go back to there you never were. English has never
been Latin on a stray but a mixture of languages both local and those
of conquerors.
--
teleportation kills

Old March 28th 18, 02:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-03-28 09:22:18 +0000, Whisky-dave said:

WinXP actually still works fine for everything I do,

I can still use pen and papper to do most things ;-)

Right... But your male secretary does it way better!

That's why we aren't allowed male secretaries, perhaps.

Not to mention that I still get to play with DOS, and I still find DOS
real useful for certain things, and at times enjoy playing with it
still.

and you still talking about DOS ;-) Some people never grow up ;-P

DOS is fairly up to date, unlike CP/M...

Maybe it's time to ditch DOS as well then, or we could go back to Latin.

I hate to break the news to you but you can't go back to Latin since
English is rather creolic in it's nature... :-))

If the Welsh can call a microwave oven a popty microdon then I'm sure
someone can come up with the latin equivalant.

Sure, but you can't go back to there you never were.

Are you refering to the English language or the 'science' of time travel ?

English has never
been Latin on a stray but a mixture of languages both local and those
of conquerors.

So no one can speak latin ?, I'm not sure what yuo are saying, is it in Latin ?

Oki...
--
teleportation kills