Datacolor Spyder 3 Pro query

Old December 27th 11, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Michael J Davis[_2_]

Default Datacolor Spyder 3 Pro query

Please forgive x-posting; but not sure where to ask this. (And yes, I
have tried Google - all I can find are sale offers!)

Nearly two years ago I purchased Datacolor's Spyder 3Pro CMS. I run it
on a Dell Dimension 3100 WinXP Pro with a Viewsonic VP201s monitor. It
all works for me.

Now for the problem/query.

For our photo club I have installed a British program called DiCentra.
This enables me to compile photo-competitions and then run them on the
club's machine and projector. (It works brilliantly, and I recommend it:
http://www.wilburimaging.com/wisoftware/services.htm )

However it has its own colour management system; and so when I've run it
on my computer and exit it, it fails to replace the Spyder profile. So I
have to enter the task list and switch calibration Off, and then On
again.

Not a big deal, but I decided to try to check where the calibrated
driver is kept. And I can't find it!! I stored the calibration set,
named: VP201s_20101023 with Spyder software but I cannot find it stored
anywhere on my computer (I've even been through hidden files dated with
the last calibration date)!

Where is the Spyder calibration data stored on my computer, please?

(And why is there absolutely no helpful information on the Datacolor
website?)

Mike

--
Michael J Davis

Old December 27th 11, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Rob Morley

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 16:21:05 +0000
Michael J Davis wrote:

Not a big deal, but I decided to try to check where the calibrated
driver is kept. And I can't find it!! I stored the calibration set,
named: VP201s_20101023 with Spyder software but I cannot find it
stored anywhere on my computer (I've even been through hidden files
dated with the last calibration date)!

Where is the Spyder calibration data stored on my computer, please?

(And why is there absolutely no helpful information on the Datacolor
website?)

Not something I know anything about, but you might find the file by
checking the process that uses it with Process Explorer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653
which shows the files each process has open.

Old December 28th 11, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Michael J Davis[_2_]

Rob Morley was inspired to say
Michael J Davis wrote:

Not a big deal, but I decided to try to check where the calibrated
driver is kept. And I can't find it!! I stored the calibration set,
named: VP201s_20101023 with Spyder software but I cannot find it
stored anywhere on my computer (I've even been through hidden files
dated with the last calibration date)!

Where is the Spyder calibration data stored on my computer, please?

(And why is there absolutely no helpful information on the Datacolor
website?)

Not something I know anything about, but you might find the file by
checking the process that uses it with Process Explorer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653
which shows the files each process has open.

Thanks Rob! What an interesting program!

It could be really useful. Sadly, here I'm unable to see any reference
to the named calibration set within the running program.

But thanks again for the intro to that utility.

Mike
--
Michael J Davis

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/watchman/

All photographs are accurate. None of them is the truth.
- Richard Avedon - 1984

Old December 28th 11, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't have an XP machine any longer to even check and it will
probably be a function of the SW used that came with the Spyder.
Two quick options come to mind.

1. e-mail or otherwise contact tech support and ask your question.
2. rerun the program and see where it wants to store the profile.
Old December 28th 11, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Michael J Davis[_2_]

me was inspired to say
wrote:

[...]

Yes, probably the best!

2. rerun the program and see where it wants to store the profile.

Tried that, it doesn't seem to inform me... ;-)

Thanks

Mike

--
Michael J Davis

Old December 28th 11, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Rob Morley

Michael J Davis wrote:

Not a big deal, but I decided to try to check where the calibrated
driver is kept. And I can't find it!! I stored the calibration set,
named: VP201s_20101023 with Spyder software but I cannot find it
stored anywhere on my computer (I've even been through hidden files
dated with the last calibration date)!

Where is the Spyder calibration data stored on my computer, please?

(And why is there absolutely no helpful information on the
Datacolor website?)

Not something I know anything about, but you might find the file by
checking the process that uses it with Process Explorer
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653
which shows the files each process has open.

Thanks Rob! What an interesting program!

It could be really useful. Sadly, here I'm unable to see any reference
to the named calibration set within the running program.

It may be stored in the Windows Registry - you could try searching
for the profile name or any strings it you know it contains using
regedit.exe

Old December 29th 11, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
me[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

By default the for color profiles in XP would be

usually in the systemroot\System32\Spool\Drivers\Color folder
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Old December 30th 11, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Michael J Davis[_2_]

me was inspired to say
wrote:

[...]

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...xp/all/proddoc
s/en-us/icm_overview.mspx?mfr=true

Thanks for that.

Even if I found it (I had a quick, but unsuccessful look), I fear I'm
out of my depth, so will wait for the software supplier's answer.

Mike

--
Michael J Davis

Old December 30th 11, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Michael J Davis[_2_]

Michael J Davis wrote:

[...]

Thanks Rob, I couldn't find it - even with me's help; so I've decided
that I won't go any further for now.

But thanks for the responses!

Mike

--
Michael J Davis

Old January 8th 12, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital
Michael J Davis[_2_]

royphot was inspired to say

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, actually the problem wasn't with manual resetting (I click on
the Spyder icon in the toolbar, and deselect and reselect.)

Profiles are stored in XP in C Windows System 32 Spool
Drivers Color. Their file names often seem unrelated to their use,
but Right clicking and going to the middle tab in Properties will
often help.

Thank you, Roy! That's *exactly* where they are!

I presume that they are in some way hidden from the search function -
even though I'd told it to look for hidden files! Now I can discuss with
the software producer why the correct profile is not being re-accessed
on exit.

Mike

--
Michael J Davis