What is the oldest digital pic you have on your computer?

Old December 30th 11, 03:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike Benveniste

Default What is the oldest digital pic you have on your computer?

On 12/29/2011 12:23 PM, Bruce wrote:

No, it isn't. That scanner has been sold under several different
brand names for at least a decade.

Reflecta, the manufacturer, disagrees with you. While they sell
the same scanner under the Reflecta brand, both were introduced
in mid-2011, at which time they claimed it was their first "midformat"
scanner:

https://reflecta.de/uploads/files/20...r-englisch.pdf

I find no evidence to back your claim, and substantial evidence to
the contrary including your own posts of late last year. I just
had some sashimi, so I await some evidence with baited breath.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
You don't have to sort of enhance reality. There is nothing
Old January 2nd 12, 05:00 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 31/12/2011 12:49 AM:

Resolution isn't bad, but Dmax is poor.

Yeah, but never forget you can use HDR on film scans as well!
Old January 2nd 12, 05:25 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Noons writes:

Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 31/12/2011 12:49 AM:

Resolution isn't bad, but Dmax is poor.

Yeah, but never forget you can use HDR on film scans as well!

Only if your scanner supports actual physical exposure changes.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
Old January 3rd 12, 05:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

David Dyer-Bennet wrote,on my timestamp of 2/01/2012 3:25 PM:

Resolution isn't bad, but Dmax is poor.

Yeah, but never forget you can use HDR on film scans as well!

Only if your scanner supports actual physical exposure changes.

Most of the dedicated scanners do. It's got more to do with the software that
controls them. Piece of cake with Nikonscan and Vuescan.
Old January 3rd 12, 05:50 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Noons

Bruce wrote,on my timestamp of 2/01/2012 9:48 PM:

Resolution isn't bad, but Dmax is poor.

Yeah, but never forget you can use HDR on film scans as well!

Is that a promise or a threat ... ?

,
;-)

Neither. Been doing it for years. Only way to handle things like the b&w very
slow, very high rez films. Developed in Technidol, they easily exceed the max
dynamic range of a coolscan 9000. Leaving me the only option: HDR.
Not much left of my Technidol stash, though. And idiotic Kodak refuses to give
the formula away so others can make it...
Old January 3rd 12, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Noons writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote,on my timestamp of 2/01/2012 3:25 PM:

Resolution isn't bad, but Dmax is poor.

Yeah, but never forget you can use HDR on film scans as well!

Only if your scanner supports actual physical exposure changes.

Most of the dedicated scanners do. It's got more to do with the
software that controls them. Piece of cake with Nikonscan and Vuescan.

I was still reading this with flatbeds in mind, though, and those don't
seem to much.
Old January 4th 12, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mike Benveniste

On 1/3/2012 8:28 PM, Bruce wrote:

I rarely scan film - I hand print in the traditional way because it
adds value.

On 10/30/2010 2:53 am, Bruce wrote:

I have 50k slides.

So have I, but they have almost all been scanned.

--
Mike Benveniste -- (Clarification Required)
Its name is Public opinion. It is held in reverence. It settles
Old January 4th 12, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Peter Irwin

Mike Benveniste wrote:
On 1/3/2012 8:28 PM, Bruce wrote:

I rarely scan film - I hand print in the traditional way because it
adds value.

On 10/30/2010 2:53 am, Bruce wrote:

I have 50k slides.

So have I, but they have almost all been scanned.

I don't think there is a contradiction. The film he shoots nowadays
is B&W neg and he prints that the old fashioned way, and he has
already scanned the colour slide film that he shot in the past.

Peter.

Old January 6th 12, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Dyer-Bennet

Noons writes:

On Jan 5, 4:31*pm, Bruce wrote:

I have seen some outstanding results from inkjet prints of scans from
black and white film. *I haven't yet learned the necessary skills
because I can sell traditional prints at good prices. *The fact that
they are hand printed helps to sell them.

I'm a bit of a home printing nohope. Mostly because I can't seem to
find a print setup that will last more than 2 years: makers keep
changing the print heads/ink containers and quite frankly I don't play
that game anymore - too expensive! Most of my prints are done at a
specialty shop I've been using for a while. They do get tremendous
results on conventional paper. Of late I've also been taken with
their canvas printing: a novelty that I quite like the results of. Big
A3+ prints on canvas look almost hand-painted and are quite
spectacular, but they have to be processed/scanned a bit less dense
than for paper and the density/dynamic range is not as wide.

My current Epson inkjet printer is 6 years old, and cartridges are still
available both locally and through ATLEX and such places. If you're
seeing two-year product lifespans, you're buying consumer-grade printers
(*MINE* is a consumer-grade printer; the R800, limited to letter size,
not supporting good B&W printing).
Old January 13th 12, 10:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chloe

On 5/01/2012 2:13 PM, Noons wrote:
On Jan 4, 12:28 pm, wrote:

I rarely scan film - I hand print in the traditional way because it
adds value.

Cool! I can't afford the space for a dedicated print shop, so I've
got to stick with scanning.

have both the 5000ED and a back-up 4000ED, and also an Imacon
Flextight which I bought for a tiny sum of money at a bankruptcy sale.

How do you find the Flextight compared to the Nikons?
Always wanted one but Hasselblad's prices are a bit of a joke...

------------------

A few years ago I bought a digital head for my Durst enlarger at huge
cost. At first it disappointed me because I expected I'd get the results
from c41 monochrome I could get using condenser enlargers and
conventional film.

In frustration I went back to condensers for saleable art printing.

It wasn't until I began using vuescan with Lumina fluid on my 750m Epson
scanner, I discovered the usefulness of digital enhancement of my
images. I know this method is primarily for trannies and color film at
that but C41 process is basically color.

When I decided to buy an s5 Fujifilm camera my perception of photography
changed forever. Now I don't have issues with grain at normal (ISO 160)
film speed and I can manipulate the images to make them impossible to
distinguish from any of 20 different film types.

The exceptional Dmax (in monochromatic mode) of a s5 is little
recognised by dyed in the wool B&W shooters. The thing that finally
convinced me to go 100% digital was DxO Film simulation software (to
imitate all the traditional films)

I've bypassed the mess we call a darkroom. Something I believed I would
never give up yet I've managed to achieve fine art prints from a Canon
12 colour inkjet printer I never thought possible. The big question now
is will they last as long as a properly fixed and correctly washed print.

Chloe