WTB: Enlarger for B/W darkroom

Old November 23rd 03, 01:49 AM
OogieBoogie

Default WTB: Enlarger for B/W darkroom

Hi i'm thinking of setting up my own darkroom and want to get an enlarger.
Any idea how much it would cost 2nd hand and whereabouts i should be looking
for it??

sara

Old November 23rd 03, 05:50 AM
Jerry Gitomer

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:49:20 +0800, OogieBoogie wrote:

Hi i'm thinking of setting up my own darkroom and want to get an enlarger.
Any idea how much it would cost 2nd hand and whereabouts i should be looking
for it??

sara

I picked up one at a yard sale, complete with lens, for $5.00 and another
was given to me by a friend who was sick and tired of seeing it unused in the
basement for over twenty years.

The best source I have found for inexpensive enlargers is moving sales.
Enlargers are just the sort of thing that people would rather get rid of
rather than pay for moving.
Old November 23rd 03, 05:21 PM
Norman Worth

Default Enlarger for B/W darkroom

There are a lot of them for sale on ebay. You take your chances there, but
most of the stuff is pretty good and some is excellent. Some professional
dealers take in old equipment as trade-ins and sell it.

Old November 24th 03, 12:30 AM
OogieBoogie

Thanks Jerry & Norman for your insight. I have just checked ebay n it seems
there are several types. Any particular one that i should concentrate on for
a beginner? Or should i buy something that will grow with me? In skills i
mean

sara

Old November 25th 03, 05:43 AM
Ted Harris

Sara,

The so called entry level enlargers are usually not worth the scrap price for
the metal they are made out of. One of the solid standards for years has been
the Omega D2. Slightly smaller Omega B6 units are also solid.

As important as the enlarger is the lens and you will do well to stick with el
nikkors, componons (not componors) and rodagons.

Finally, while eBay is a treasure trove of bargains IF you know what you are
shopping for it may not be the best place for a newcomer to shop for a used
enlarger (will you be able to check alignment, for the proper condensor, etc.).
I suggest a call to Midwest Photo (web www.mpex.com) they are one of the best
and most reasonably priced sellers of used quality equipment in the US. Ask
for Dan who handles darkroom stuff ... tell him what you want ... they offer
full returns and you will likely pay no more than eBay. My only connection
with them is as a very satisfied customer.
Ted Harris
Resource Strategy
Henniker, New Hampshire
Old November 25th 03, 11:11 AM
OogieBoogie

Thanks Ted! Yeah, i've been going through the stuffs at ebay and for a
beginner, its a bit overwhelming since i'm not too sure what exactly i
should be looking for.

I'm in Singapore and i've been looking around for a bit. But information on
enlargers are rather scarce as mostly professionals deal with them.

I took a darkroom class recently n the thrill of developing n printing your
own photos is amazing! I am aware of the costs (which is alot!) involved in
setting up a darkroom so i'm still threading rather carefully on this path!

I would consider Midwest Photo once i've exhausted all the resources here
because shipping costs from the US internationally could cost an arm and a
leg!

But thanks once again!

Sara Aman.

Old November 25th 03, 08:09 PM
Norman Worth

Go with a good professional or semi-pro brand - Beseler, Durst, Kaiser, LPL,
Omega, for example. They are fairly inexpensive used, they last, and they
produce good results. Dichro color enlargers can be used very well for
black and white - in fact they are a convenience. Take one if the price is
right. Get an enlarger that will fill your needs for the foreseeable
future. If you use 35mm but may go to medium format in the future, buy a
2-1/4X3-1/4 enlarger. Get a good enlarging lens. There is no such thing as
a bargain there. El-Nikkor, Rodagon-N Componon-S all perform well.