Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for the DSLR

Old April 20th 15, 07:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for the DSLR

In article , RichA wrote:

New sensors with high read-out speeds (over 15fps for DX) will mean
the end of the DSLR as the premier sports and action cameras.
Mirror-less professional cameras are in the offing. Contrary to
those who think video cameras will take over, they won't; you can't
really capture fast action in single images at 30-120fps.

There's a lot more than FPS that need to be "fixed". Like viewfinder lag, lens
selection, startup times etc etc

--
Sandman
Old April 20th 15, 09:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-20 06:20:02 +0000, Sandman said:

In article ,
RichA wrote:

New sensors with high read-out speeds (over 15fps for DX) will mean
the end of the DSLR as the premier sports and action cameras.
Mirror-less professional cameras are in the offing. Contrary to
those who think video cameras will take over, they won't; you can't
really capture fast action in single images at 30-120fps.

There's a lot more than FPS that need to be "fixed". Like viewfinder lag, lens
selection, startup times etc etc

From all the research I undertook before making this decision to buy
the notorious EVF delay was one of my concerns. (I have been looking at
DSLR alternatives for years) It seems that Fuji with the X-T1 and the
X-E2 have improved the EVF to the point that for the great majority of
shooters EVF lag is a non-issue. We shall see, I will have mine unboxed
by Thursday. I am not anticipating disappointment.

I bought the camera from B&H with the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4R for $998
rather than the list price of $1099. It seemed to be a good deal.
However they were not so generous with lenses. They were asking $599
for the XF 35mm f/1.4 I managed to get one for $499 from Adorama.
There were several other Fuji lenses that I am considering which
Adorama is selling well below the B&H asking price. It seems
competition is alive and well in NYC.

I was truly hoping for a fresh, different APS-C DSLR offering from
Nikon, but that isn't forthcoming. So I am just taking a fresh approach
to my shooting equipment. Perhaps Nikon will have something truly
interesting when they are able to put the new Sony sensors to good use.

Savageduck

Old April 20th 15, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Savageduck wrote:

New sensors with high read-out speeds (over 15fps for DX) will
mean the end of the DSLR as the premier sports and action
cameras. Mirror-less professional cameras are in the offing.
Contrary to those who think video cameras will take over, they
won't; you can't really capture fast action in single images at
30-120fps.

Sandman:
There's a lot more than FPS that need to be "fixed". Like
viewfinder lag, lens selection, startup times etc etc

From all the research I undertook before making this decision to buy
the notorious EVF delay was one of my concerns. (I have been
looking at DSLR alternatives for years) It seems that Fuji with the
X-T1 and the X-E2 have improved the EVF to the point that for the
great majority of shooters EVF lag is a non-issue. We shall see, I
will have mine unboxed by Thursday. I am not anticipating
disappointment.

For most shots, it's not a concern, but Rich was on about FPS, which is important
in fast paces shooting like sports. There, even the slightest EVF lag is going to
be very noticeable.

I bought the camera from B&H with the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4R for $998
rather than the list price of $1099. It seemed to be a good deal.
However they were not so generous with lenses. They were asking $599
for the XF 35mm f/1.4 I managed to get one for $499 from Adorama.

That's really odd. With an APS-C sensor, that's equivalent to a 50mm. And the
Nikon 50mm/1.4G can be had for $419 at B&H and Adorama, and it's a super lens.

There were several other Fuji lenses that I am considering which
Adorama is selling well below the B&H asking price. It seems
competition is alive and well in NYC.

As well it should

I was truly hoping for a fresh, different APS-C DSLR offering from
Nikon, but that isn't forthcoming. So I am just taking a fresh
approach to my shooting equipment. Perhaps Nikon will have
something truly interesting when they are able to put the new Sony
sensors to good use.

I'm guessing you have too many DX lenses to go full frame and you feel it would
be like paying for a sensor you wouldn't really use. Apart from the buffer size,
I can't really understand why you're not already a D7200 user. How long burst
shots do you take, really?

--
Sandman
Old April 20th 15, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-04-20 13:09:29 +0000, Sandman said:

In article ,
Savageduck wrote:

New sensors with high read-out speeds (over 15fps for DX) will
mean the end of the DSLR as the premier sports and action
cameras. Mirror-less professional cameras are in the offing.
Contrary to those who think video cameras will take over, they
won't; you can't really capture fast action in single images at
30-120fps.

Sandman:
There's a lot more than FPS that need to be "fixed". Like
viewfinder lag, lens selection, startup times etc etc

From all the research I undertook before making this decision to buy
the notorious EVF delay was one of my concerns. (I have been
looking at DSLR alternatives for years) It seems that Fuji with the
X-T1 and the X-E2 have improved the EVF to the point that for the
great majority of shooters EVF lag is a non-issue. We shall see, I
will have mine unboxed by Thursday. I am not anticipating
disappointment.

For most shots, it's not a concern, but Rich was on about FPS, which is
important
in fast paces shooting like sports. There, even the slightest EVF lag
is going to
be very noticeable.

I will see how it holds up the next time I am around fast moving stuff. ;-)

I bought the camera from B&H with the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4R for $998
rather than the list price of $1099. It seemed to be a good deal.
However they were not so generous with lenses. They were asking $599
for the XF 35mm f/1.4 I managed to get one for $499 from Adorama.

That's really odd. With an APS-C sensor, that's equivalent to a 50mm. And the
Nikon 50mm/1.4G can be had for $419 at B&H and Adorama, and it's a super lens.

I guess Adorama and B&H negotiated different deals with FujiFilm USA.

There were several other Fuji lenses that I am considering which
Adorama is selling well below the B&H asking price. It seems
competition is alive and well in NYC.

As well it should

I was truly hoping for a fresh, different APS-C DSLR offering from
Nikon, but that isn't forthcoming. So I am just taking a fresh
approach to my shooting equipment. Perhaps Nikon will have
something truly interesting when they are able to put the new Sony
sensors to good use.

I'm guessing you have too many DX lenses to go full frame and you feel it would
be like paying for a sensor you wouldn't really use. Apart from the
buffer size,
I can't really understand why you're not already a D7200 user. How long burst
shots do you take, really?

The D7200 was a contender in my buying options, and I can see getting a
new DSLR in the future, perhaps even a D7200. For now the D300S will
have to fill my DSLR needs, it has been serving me well, and it is not
as if I am a pro chasing new equipment & pixel count.

The only time I shoot *Continuous High* is to capture low level,
highspeed passes at airshows, and motor sports events at specific
corners. That action takes place very quickly so bursts are of 3 to 9
frames, but typically 5 frames.

At other events such as Triathlons I use *Continuous Low* and when I
capture a burst it is in the 2 to 5 frame range. For Triathlon cycle
stages whn I have shot bursts most seem to be 3 frames. Sometimes I
will have two or three sets of 2-3 frames as a rider approaches and
passes me rather than just holding that shutter release down.

The X-E2 has a JPEG rate of 7fps, a RAW or RAW+JPEG rate of 3fps, The
buffer is small or the write speed is low for RAW which limits the RAW
bursts to 8 frames. JEG only is unlimited. For most stuff I can live
with that.

Savageduck

Old April 20th 15, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 21/04/2015 1:09 a.m., Sandman wrote:

I bought the camera from B&H with the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4R for $998
rather than the list price of $1099. It seemed to be a good deal.
However they were not so generous with lenses. They were asking $599
for the XF 35mm f/1.4 I managed to get one for $499 from Adorama.

That's really odd. With an APS-C sensor, that's equivalent to a 50mm. And the
Nikon 50mm/1.4G can be had for $419 at B&H and Adorama, and it's a super lens.

If you're comparing 35mm f1.4 on DX, then the 50mm lens it should be
compared with* on FX would be the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 G which is half the
price of the 1.4G, and also a super lens.

*The f1.8 G is faster and with shallower DOF at f1.8 on FX than f1.4 on
DX, equivalence is about f2.2. The f1.4 50 collects more than twice as
much light on FX as the 35mm f1.4 does on DX.

Old April 21st 15, 08:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Savageduck wrote:

Sandman:
I'm guessing you have too many DX lenses to go full frame and you
feel it would be like paying for a sensor you wouldn't really use.
Apart from the buffer size, I can't really understand why you're
not already a D7200 user. How long burst shots do you take,
really?

The D7200 was a contender in my buying options, and I can see
getting a new DSLR in the future, perhaps even a D7200. For now the
D300S will have to fill my DSLR needs, it has been serving me well,
and it is not as if I am a pro chasing new equipment & pixel count.

The only time I shoot *Continuous High* is to capture low level,
highspeed passes at airshows, and motor sports events at specific
corners. That action takes place very quickly so bursts are of 3 to
9 frames, but typically 5 frames.

So it's safe to say that you're not utilizing the one feature that sets the D300S
apart from the D7200, then. Which is fine, you're satisfied with the D300 and
there is no reason why you shouldn't be.

At other events such as Triathlons I use *Continuous Low* and when I
capture a burst it is in the 2 to 5 frame range. For Triathlon
cycle stages whn I have shot bursts most seem to be 3 frames.
Sometimes I will have two or three sets of 2-3 frames as a rider
approaches and passes me rather than just holding that shutter
release down.

The X-E2 has a JPEG rate of 7fps, a RAW or RAW+JPEG rate of 3fps,
The buffer is small or the write speed is low for RAW which limits
the RAW bursts to 8 frames. JEG only is unlimited. For most stuff I
can live with that.

As could most, I'd wager.

--
Sandman
Old April 21st 15, 08:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , Me wrote:

Savageduck:
I bought the camera from B&H with the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4R for
$998 rather than the list price of $1099. It seemed to be a good
deal. However they were not so generous with lenses. They were
asking $599 for the XF 35mm f/1.4 I managed to get one for $499
from Adorama.

Sandman:
That's really odd. With an APS-C sensor, that's equivalent to a
50mm. And the Nikon 50mm/1.4G can be had for $419 at B&H and
Adorama, and it's a super lens.

If you're comparing 35mm f1.4 on DX, then the 50mm lens it should be
compared with* on FX would be the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 G which is half
the price of the 1.4G, and also a super lens.

Yes, I purposely choose the "high end" 50mm to show the disparity.

--
Sandman
Old April 21st 15, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 21/04/2015 7:38 p.m., Sandman wrote:
In article , Me wrote:

Savageduck:
I bought the camera from B&H with the XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4R for
$998 rather than the list price of $1099. It seemed to be a good
deal. However they were not so generous with lenses. They were
asking $599 for the XF 35mm f/1.4 I managed to get one for $499
from Adorama.

Sandman:
That's really odd. With an APS-C sensor, that's equivalent to a
50mm. And the Nikon 50mm/1.4G can be had for $419 at B&H and
Adorama, and it's a super lens.

If you're comparing 35mm f1.4 on DX, then the 50mm lens it should be
compared with* on FX would be the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 G which is half
the price of the 1.4G, and also a super lens.

Yes, I purposely choose the "high end" 50mm to show the disparity.

It's a crying shame that the Canadian fellow with the big chip (pun not
intended) on his shoulder hasn't "got it" after all the years he's been
starting threads like this.