Can now adapt Leica M lenses to a DSLR

Old December 5th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_7_]

Default Can now adapt Leica M lenses to a DSLR

RichA wrote:
http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

Digital Micro 4/3 Lens Adapters are in preparation. Leica M (yes,
you are reading it right, Leica M) lens adapter to Micro 4/3 adapter
expected to arrive by late December! $175 email to get on wait list!

And just why would you want to use a full-frame lens on a quarter-frame
camera?

David

Old December 5th 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Digital Micro 4/3 Lens Adapters are in preparation. Leica M (yes,
you are reading it right, Leica M) lens adapter to Micro 4/3 adapter
expected to arrive by late December! $175 email to get on wait list!

And just why would you want to use a full-frame lens on a quarter-frame
camera?

for someone who already owns such lenses.
Old December 5th 08, 09:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_7_]

nospam wrote:
In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Digital Micro 4/3 Lens Adapters are in preparation. Leica M (yes,
you are reading it right, Leica M) lens adapter to Micro 4/3 adapter
expected to arrive by late December! $175 email to get on wait
list!

And just why would you want to use a full-frame lens on a
quarter-frame camera?

for someone who already owns such lenses.

OK, but even then, you aren't getting the full performance from the lens
(it's a 50% crop), and the lenses will be bigger and heavier than a
designed-for-purpose equivalent. Great if you happen to have such lenses
lying around, I agree!

David

Old December 5th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
*[_3_]

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Digital Micro 4/3 Lens Adapters are in preparation. Leica M (yes,
you are reading it right, Leica M) lens adapter to Micro 4/3 adapter
expected to arrive by late December! $175 email to get on wait list!

And just why would you want to use a full-frame lens on a quarter-frame
camera?

for someone who already owns such lenses.

If you can afford Leica glass, why not buy a Leica camera, not a toy micro
4/3 system?

Old December 5th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark Thomas

* wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message
In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Digital Micro 4/3 Lens Adapters are in preparation. Leica M (yes,
you are reading it right, Leica M) lens adapter to Micro 4/3 adapter
expected to arrive by late December! $175 email to get on wait list!
And just why would you want to use a full-frame lens on a quarter-frame
camera?

for someone who already owns such lenses.

If you can afford Leica glass, why not buy a Leica camera, not a toy micro
4/3 system?

Well, there is the matter of the exorbitant price of the Leica digitals,
and then there's the small fact that they seem to be regarded as the
worst cameras Leica has ever produced, 'cept maybe the M5...

Given the very first m4/3 camera is getting some rather positive
reviews, maybe it is more than a toy. Even if I didn't have to pay for
it, I'd rather have a G1 than an M8.
Old December 6th 08, 07:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_7_]

RichA wrote:
[]
Do you have any Nikon or Canon film lens you use on a crop body? The
novelty here is being able to use rangefinder lenses on a camera not a
$6000 Leica.

No, I sold all my bulky and heavy film stuff while it was still worth
something.

What's the point of only using a quarter of the focal plane area, though?

David

Old December 6th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not Given

"tomm42" wrote in message
On Dec 5, 4:04 am, "David J Taylor" -
this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Digital Micro 4/3 Lens Adapters are in preparation. Leica M (yes,
you are reading it right, Leica M) lens adapter to Micro 4/3 adapter
expected to arrive by late December! $175 email to get on wait
list!

And just why would you want to use a full-frame lens on a
quarter-frame camera?

for someone who already owns such lenses.

OK, but even then, you aren't getting the full performance from the lens
(it's a 50% crop), and the lenses will be bigger and heavier than a
designed-for-purpose equivalent. Great if you happen to have such lenses
lying around, I agree!

David

Leica lenses tend to be small and compact, maybe heavy cause they are
all metal. My 35mm f1.4 Summilux is just about an inch long and a
little over 1.5 inches wide, what's so big about that, a Leica mount
Canon 25mm I have sticks about 1/2 inch from the camera and is
extremely light. Would be nice to use the sweet point of these lenses
on a digital camera. All my Leica lenses are over 20 years old and I
bought them when prices were low, still have 2 M2 cameras one I bought
for $125. While the M cameras are wonderful to use it is still film
and after shooting digital for the last 3 years it is hard to go back.

Tom

But with a severe crop factor, your 35mm f:1.5 Summilux is a cropped 70mm

Old December 6th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Not Given

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message . ..
RichA wrote:
[]
Do you have any Nikon or Canon film lens you use on a crop body? The
novelty here is being able to use rangefinder lenses on a camera not a
$6000 Leica.

No, I sold all my bulky and heavy film stuff while it was still worth
something.

What's the point of only using a quarter of the focal plane area, though?

David

Plus the advantage of manual focus, and manual aperture on a modern camera.
It's like 1968 again.

Old December 6th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_7_]

Not Given wrote:
"David J Taylor"
wrote
in message . ..
RichA wrote:
[]
Do you have any Nikon or Canon film lens you use on a crop body?
The novelty here is being able to use rangefinder lenses on a
camera not a $6000 Leica.

No, I sold all my bulky and heavy film stuff while it was still worth
something.

What's the point of only using a quarter of the focal plane area,
though?

David

Plus the advantage of manual focus, and manual aperture on a modern
camera. It's like 1968 again.

Ah. Retro?

David
Old December 6th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

David J Taylor wrote:

What's the point of only using a quarter of the focal plane area, though?

Put your upper teeth just behind the top of your lower lip

Now say "full frame"

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.