Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 vs. 18-70mm Kit lens?

Old September 21st 05, 05:15 PM
bmoag

Default Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 vs. 18-70mm Kit lens?

You should try to clarify in your mind what it is that the 18-70
specifically does not deliver for you that is significant enough you would
want to get another lens.
I encourage you to get more lenses-why else have an SLR type camera-but you
should have a good idea what you need and want in order to avoid buyer's
remorse.
Is it maximum aperture for low light shooting or selective focus?
Is it a wider or more telephoto angle of view?
Do you want to be mentally assured that the lens is of superior optical
quality whether your particular skills or needs are able to take advantage
of that quality? (This seems to be a big factor on this newsgroup)
In truth the 18-70 is an astoundingly good lens for general use on the D70,
particularly if you learn to compensate for its relatively few foibles in
Photoshop.
I would humbly suggest you invest in an f1.8 50mm Nikon lens: fast,
excellent quality, bargain basement price even brand new (about $100). If
you are relatively new to SLR photography using this lens will be a great
learning experience.

Old September 21st 05, 06:14 PM
Proconsul

Roger wrote:

snip

| The two lenses are very different. From a DSLR perspective, 18-70 is a
| relatively slow general purpose zoom lens and the 28-70 is a
| professional grade portrait lens that just happens to touch on the
| "normal" (42mm FF equiv) range.
|
| There are few side by side comparisons because these two lenses are
| not in the same league in either, optically quality, build quality or
| coverage angle. If you read individual review on the 28-70 in either
| film or DSLR forums you will find that few other lenses in this focal
| length range can surpass it optically. The optical properties of the
| 28-70 are closer to the 17-35 f2.8 AF-S professional lens for rough
| comparisons. Perhaps you can find some side-by-side comparisons of the
| 18-70 and 17-35 lenses and extrapolate from there for the 28-70,
| knowing that the 28-70 is very different from a coverage perspective.
|
| The 28-70 f2.8 AF-S lens is physically overwhelming on even large
| cameras - it's a big, heavy, clunky lens with a forbidding petal lens
| hood. This may also be something to consider.

Fully agreed - BUT, I just bought a Tamron Di digital zoom f2.8. This lens,
a clone of the Nikon lens under discussion, is an exceptionally high
quality, sharp lens. Moreover, it's NO BIGGER than the Nikon kit lens, uses
the same size filters and weigh less. Food for thought. Oh, it's also
considerably cheaper.....

PC

Old September 22nd 05, 12:54 AM
Robert Brace

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
Roger wrote:

The 28-70 f2.8 AF-S lens is physically overwhelming on even large
cameras - it's a big, heavy, clunky lens with a forbidding petal lens
hood. This may also be something to consider.

Thanks for all your help. I think you pretty much touched on all of my
concerns. I presently have and use a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR and it's big and
heavy as well. So, as much as I dislike the size and weight of the VR, I
find it highly beneficial to lug it around. I try to avoid using the lens
hood if I can help it. I really love this lens and my hope is to find a
zoom lens under 70mm that will give me the same performance.

Rita

I have & use the 17-35, 28-70 and the 80-200. All 2.8 AF-S and all heavy
and built like tanks, but they are all sharp, fast-focusing and worth every
penny. I have used them with the F100, F4, F5 and the D2 series and can
find no reason to criticize them, except they are a bit heavy. I also use
the AF 200 f4.5 macro lens, so I know sharpness when I see it (or not!!).
You should not be disappointed.
Bob

Old October 6th 05, 06:14 AM
Monty Bonner

bmoag wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the wonderful and informative tips. You do bring up some valid
considerations that I will need to think about. I agree with you on
having
a selection of lenses. I do have a few. My favorites that I use the most
and always carry around are the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, Micro Nikkor 105 f/2.8,
and the 18-70mm. I do have other lenses including the 50mm f/1.4 that I
really like for low light shooting. I really like having the option to
zoom, though, and I can't zoom with the 50mm. In my opinion, the 18-70
does
seem to lack the sharpness and low light performance I want, but gives me
the focal length I want. You have given me some more aspects to consider.
Thanks again.

Rita

Hello to all,

I just recently purchased the D70s Kit, and it comes with a 18-70 as well.
It has been many years since I owned a nice camera such as this and don't
know enough about it use or "lenses" at all. I do know that there are
several quality levels of Nikkor lenses and I don't know them apart. Nikon
produces a catalog which lists all their products and have not found a spot
on the website to order one. My friend showed me his and it goes into a lot
better description on which lenses have what optics and how many groups and
lots of information I don't know about. That catalog will assist me in
picking up another lense. My friend has the 70-200mm f/2.8VR and loves it.
My Girlfriend has the N80 Camera so my lenses purchase will have to include
her camera so we can share them.

A quick explanation on the difference levels of quality of Nikkor lenses
would be of great help.

Thank you in advance.

Monty

Old October 6th 05, 04:25 PM
Jim

"Monty Bonner" wrote in message

Hello to all,

I just recently purchased the D70s Kit, and it comes with a 18-70 as well.
It has been many years since I owned a nice camera such as this and don't
know enough about it use or "lenses" at all. I do know that there are
several quality levels of Nikkor lenses and I don't know them apart.
Nikon produces a catalog which lists all their products and have not found
a spot on the website to order one. Monty

Nikon does not sell direct to the public. You can order any lens there from
B&H. Your local camera shop can also order any lens that you want (as well
as giving advice when needed).

I definitely like the kit lens. However, it is not quite wide enough at the
short end. I might spring for the 12-24 f4 one of these days...
Jim

Old October 6th 05, 05:30 PM
bob

"Monty Bonner" wrote in
:

Nikon
produces a catalog which lists all their products and have not found a
spot on the website to order one.

In the past I called them (Nikon USA) up and asked for it. Nice people. I
think its called the "full product catalog" or some such.

Bob