Gym help

Old January 20th 04, 09:18 PM
Mark Best

Default Gym help

Can anyone give me advice on taking photographs in a gym without them coming
out orange? I have a Canon AE-1 Program and I'd like to use an 80-200 zoom.
I've tried using 400 or 800 in program mode but the camera chooses
super-slow shutter speeds which causes the action to be all blurry. Trying
to set shutter speed myself results in orange-tinted pictures. I haven't
tried my flash because it just doesn't seem enough for such a large space,
not to mention I don't want to blind the atheletes, but should I try? Any
suggestions? I'm using Kodak film, tried shutter speeds from 30 to 1000,
and I've been letting the camera pick the f-stop.

Old January 22nd 04, 04:41 PM
Mark Best

Thanks for the different suggestions, I'm shooting in a gym tonight. Does a
UV filter do anything in a gym?

"Eric Hocking" wrote in message
om...
Marc 182 wrote in message

et...
In article , do_not@e-
mail.me says...
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:50:22 -0600, wrote:

"Mark Best" wrote:

orange-tinted pictures

Take them back to the place that printed them and ask them to print

them so
the lighting is more neutral.

OR... look into getting a blue filter so that you can change the color
temperature of the gym lighting.

No way. He's already got problems with blurring. A colored filter
would cut even more light. His equipment is not adequate (slow zoom) to
use a blue filter.

Use tungsten film instead of daylight.
That will reduce the orange cast without having to resort to colour

filters.

--
Eric Hocking
www.twofromoz.freeserve.co.uk

Old January 22nd 04, 10:18 PM
Michael Scarpitti

"Mark Best" wrote in message ...
Can anyone give me advice on taking photographs in a gym without them coming
out orange? I have a Canon AE-1 Program and I'd like to use an 80-200 zoom.
I've tried using 400 or 800 in program mode but the camera chooses
super-slow shutter speeds which causes the action to be all blurry. Trying
to set shutter speed myself results in orange-tinted pictures. I haven't
tried my flash because it just doesn't seem enough for such a large space,
not to mention I don't want to blind the atheletes, but should I try? Any
suggestions? I'm using Kodak film, tried shutter speeds from 30 to 1000,
and I've been letting the camera pick the f-stop.

Try black and white.
Old January 22nd 04, 11:12 PM
KFritch

The orange color could result from using daylight film with tungsten lighting.
Either use a tungsten rated film or use an 80B color correction filter.
Old January 22nd 04, 11:16 PM
Eric Hocking

"Mark Best" wrote in message
"Eric Hocking" wrote in message
om...
Marc 182 wrote in message

et...
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 05:50:22 -0600, wrote:
"Mark Best" wrote:
orange-tinted pictures

snip

Use tungsten film instead of daylight.
That will reduce the orange cast without having to resort to colour

filters.
Thanks for the different suggestions, I'm shooting in a gym tonight. Does

UV filter do anything in a gym?

Keep sportsperson sweat off the front element?

Couldn't say, but for a complete reversal on my initial post, if the gym is
lit by *fluorescent* light you'll want to use a different film again
otherwise it'll cast green/blue.

--
Eric Hocking
www.twofromoz.freeserve.co.uk
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
Attempting spam blocking - remove upper case to reply.

Old January 24th 04, 07:32 AM
Mark Hammerschmidt

Actually you are wrong. UV does not degrade your image. Although it also
will not help you indoors. It is a filter to block UV natural light for out
door shots in sunlight. Cuts an insignificant amount of light, but cuts a
specific temperature of light. The gentleman who suggested using tungsten
film is correct. If his photos are turning out orange it is because of
tungsten light. If it were fluorescent it would be turning out green. Your
slow shutter speed can be compensated for by using a faster speed film. You
will get more grain but less blur. Tungsten film for negative film will be
hard to find, much more common in positive (slide) film. But if you are
shooting it often it may be worth the search. On the other hand, if you are
shooting it often you should find a way to get closer to the action so you
don't have to waste your shutter speed on long focal lengths. IE Zoom
lenses.