Photoshopping, YES or NO ?

Old February 27th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Photoshopping, YES or NO ?

What do you think about manipulating photos with PhotoShopping.

Do you like the photos with maniplulation?

OR

Do you like more photos with out any change?

Old February 27th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

TopPhotoBlog wrote:
What do you think about manipulating photos with PhotoShopping.

Do you like the photos with maniplulation?

OR

Do you like more photos with out any change?

Yes.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old February 27th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
TopPhotoBlog wrote:
What do you think about manipulating photos with PhotoShopping.

Do you like the photos with maniplulation?

OR

Do you like more photos with out any change?

Yes.

Hogwash. Are you printing exactly the RGB values
that came from your scanner or digicam?

Are you fully aware of the all the processing that
goes on in your DSLR, scanner, and printer?

Why is it assumed that photos must be a literal
representation of reality?

Mind you, it's an interesting discussion, but will not be
properly covered in a USENET thread. It's one of
those perennial topics associated with photography
that has no proper answer.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old February 27th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Mind you, it's an interesting discussion, but will not be
properly covered in a USENET thread. It's one of
those perennial topics associated with photography
that has no proper answer.

Well people can at least give their opinion can't they. In my opinion
both can be good depending upon how they look. If a picture come
straight out of the camera looking pristine then there's no need to
mess with it; but if a picture need a little contrast tweak or whatever
then so be it. You want that picture to be as close to what you
remember, so as to provoke the same feelings you had when you were
inclined to take the shot. Or maybe you just want the picture to look
crazy so you manipulate the crap out of it.

Old February 27th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

TopPhotoBlog wrote:
What do you think about manipulating photos with PhotoShopping.

Do you like the photos with maniplulation?

OR

Do you like more photos with out any change?

Yes.

Hogwash. Are you printing exactly the RGB values
that came from your scanner or digicam?

Are you fully aware of the all the processing that
goes on in your DSLR, scanner, and printer?

Why is it assumed that photos must be a literal
representation of reality?

Mind you, it's an interesting discussion, but will not be
properly covered in a USENET thread. It's one of
those perennial topics associated with photography
that has no proper answer.

Ol' rafe b doesn't often lose the plot...

My view, I prefer photos that come out of the camera, firstest and
bestest, but only if they are better than photos that have been
manipulated.

Photos that come out of the camera best are rarer than hen's teeth,
soooo... you'll just about never not have to do some Photo Shopping.

So the answer to OP's either-or question, as divined by Joseph Meehan,
is "Yes"!

--
Frank ess
"In this universe there are things

Old February 27th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

TopPhotoBlog wrote:
What do you think about manipulating photos with PhotoShopping.

Do you like the photos with maniplulation?

OR

Do you like more photos with out any change?

Yes.

Hogwash. Are you printing exactly the RGB values
that came from your scanner or digicam?

Are you fully aware of the all the processing that
goes on in your DSLR, scanner, and printer?

Why is it assumed that photos must be a literal
representation of reality?

Mind you, it's an interesting discussion, but will not be
properly covered in a USENET thread. It's one of
those perennial topics associated with photography
that has no proper answer.

That's why he answered, "Yes."

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old February 27th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"ShibbyShane" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mind you, it's an interesting discussion, but will not be
properly covered in a USENET thread. It's one of
those perennial topics associated with photography
that has no proper answer.

Well people can at least give their opinion can't they. In my opinion
both can be good depending upon how they look. If a picture come
straight out of the camera looking pristine then there's no need to
mess with it; but if a picture need a little contrast tweak or whatever
then so be it. You want that picture to be as close to what you
remember, so as to provoke the same feelings you had when you were
inclined to take the shot. Or maybe you just want the picture to look
crazy so you manipulate the crap out of it.

Like I said, it really *is* an interesting topic, and
I predict it'll be one of those threads that goes on
forever.

Who among us hasn't been asked, from time to time,
"Did you manipulate that photo?" I'm always at a loss
on how to answer that question.

99% of what I do is "straight' photography, even
with regard to cropping. I wanna hurl when I see
a photo that's been cranked to the max for color
saturation, or had a fake sky pasted in.

By the same token, I'm not above fixing up an
image to make it look better. Whatever that might
mean at the moment. That almost always involves
some tonal manipulations, at the very least. Or
I might clone out some distracting detail that
escaped my attention when I snapped the shutter.

Some of my favorite images have been scanned
multiple times and printed multple ways. My
taste -- even for the same image -- evolves
over time.

And frankly the main reason I don't do heavy,
surreal, bizzare or artsy manipulations is because
a) I lack the imagination for that, and b) I lack the
inclination and skill for that. I'm really just another
geek with a camera, and not ashamed to admit it.

I absolutely agree that the quality of the original
image is all-important. You can't make a silk
purse from a sow's ear.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old February 27th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

TopPhotoBlog wrote:
What do you think about manipulating photos with PhotoShopping.

Do you like the photos with maniplulation?

OR

Do you like more photos with out any change?

Yes.

Hogwash. Are you printing exactly the RGB values
that came from your scanner or digicam?

Are you fully aware of the all the processing that
goes on in your DSLR, scanner, and printer?

Why is it assumed that photos must be a literal
representation of reality?

Mind you, it's an interesting discussion, but will not be
properly covered in a USENET thread. It's one of
those perennial topics associated with photography
that has no proper answer.

That's why he answered, "Yes."

Thank you Bill and Frank. I would have thought my answer was clear.

IMO there is no way that question can be answered with the choices
offered.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old February 27th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

TopPhotoBlog wrote:
What do you think about manipulating photos with PhotoShopping.

Do you like the photos with maniplulation?

OR

Do you like more photos with out any change?

Yes.

Hogwash. Are you printing exactly the RGB values
that came from your scanner or digicam?

Read it again - he said yes.
Read the questions again.