Question Canon G6 or Pro1

Old October 12th 04, 08:37 PM
Bret Cohen

Default Question Canon G6 or Pro1

All:
If you can get the Canon Powershot Pro 1 for $100 more then the G6 ($750
delivered). Do you do it or stick with the G6.

I currently have the G5 and love it but I do seek a better zoom that the Pro
1 has.

Suggestions everyone..

Bret

Old October 12th 04, 10:57 PM
Eatmorepies

"Bret Cohen" wrote in message
m...
All:
If you can get the Canon Powershot Pro 1 for $100 more then the G6 ($750
delivered). Do you do it or stick with the G6.

I currently have the G5 and love it but I do seek a better zoom that the

Pro
1 has.

I am sticking with my G5 for another year or two. Like many, I am drawn to
buying a new digital camera every time the manufacturers bring out something
a step ahead but I am going to resist the temptation. Having bought my first
digital in March 2004 (the G5) I am going to squeeze every penny of value
out of it and rely on improved technique to get good pictures. At 5Mp the G5
allows me to print 5x7 using only the middle bit of the frame - this
probably mimics a 10Mp camera on full frame.

I am waiting for a large sensor, 10Mp camera with an f1.8 lens, 6x zoom, no
chromatic abberation, 4 fps, 1600ISO with (a list of features the rest of us
will list) to come out below 400 ukp - about 600 dollars.

Then I will upgrade from the G5.

John

Old October 12th 04, 11:38 PM
Lilo

Bret Cohen wrote:
All:
If you can get the Canon Powershot Pro 1 for $100 more then the G6 ($750
delivered). Do you do it or stick with the G6.

I currently have the G5 and love it but I do seek a better zoom that the Pro
1 has.

Suggestions everyone..

Bret

go for the Pro 1 if you do not mind the size. I have two cameras. G3
and SLR . I use G3 the most because it is more convineince to carry
around. What the use of buying camera if you use it.

The question is what do you use your camera for?
What features are more important to you?

Old October 13th 04, 12:05 AM
Bill Crocker

I had a Pro 1, and currently own a G6.

Differences to note:

MEGAPIXEL
Pro1, 8.0
G6, 7.1

LENS SPEED
Pro1, f/2.4
G6, f/2.0

SHUTTER SPEEDS
Pro1, 15-1/4000sec
G6, 1-1/2000sec

SHOOTING SPEED
Pro1, 2.5 shots/sec.
G6, 11 shots/sec.

WEIGHT
Pro1, 19.2 oz
G6, 13.4oz

OPTICAL ZOOM
Pro1, 28-200mm, USM, 7.14X
G6, 35-140mm, 4X

OPTICAL ZOOM CONTROL
Pro1, Zoom Ring on lens
G6, Conventional W/T control near shutter button, using right index finger

GLASS
Pro1, "L" series glass

I prefer the G6, over the Pro1...just a matter of personal preference. Not
based on technical issues, or performance. I find those to be too close to
worry about, for my needs.

Bill Crocker

Old October 13th 04, 03:05 AM
Terence Gui

Of course another significant difference between the Pro1 and the G6 is the
size of the CCD (2/3" compared to 1/1.8").

For me, I feel the Pro1 passes the point where I consider a camera to be
reasonably compact, so while it might be superior on a technical
standpoint -given the choice- I would go for a G6 over a Pro1.

Terence

---