Reinstall Kodak Easyshare and Retain settings?

Old October 13th 04, 06:50 PM
Dave Brenan

Default Reinstall Kodak Easyshare and Retain settings?

I've been having problems with EasyShare lately - it won't open,
giving me a C++ runtime error and saying there's a problem with
MFC42.dll. I plan to just unistall it, run the Clean utility from the
Kodak website to remove all traces from the registry, and then
download and install the most recent version. Hopefully this will
solve the runtime error problems. I know this shouldn't delete the
pictures I already have on the computer, but will I lose all of my
settings and entries such as captions, albums, keywords, etc.? Is
there a way to retain them, and import into the freshly installed
version?

Thanks.
-Dave B.
Old October 13th 04, 06:57 PM
Bill Jackson

Dave Brenan wrote:
I've been having problems with EasyShare lately - it won't open,
giving me a C++ runtime error and saying there's a problem with
MFC42.dll. I plan to just unistall it, run the Clean utility from the
Kodak website to remove all traces from the registry, and then
download and install the most recent version. Hopefully this will
solve the runtime error problems. I know this shouldn't delete the
pictures I already have on the computer, but will I lose all of my
settings and entries such as captions, albums, keywords, etc.? Is
there a way to retain them, and import into the freshly installed
version?

Thanks.
-Dave B.

the uninstall of Kodak EasyShare does not delete the catalog file (in
the \catalog directory under the EasyShare program directory)

There are two files that are retained, one has all of the metadata, the
other has all of the thumbnails.

When you re-install, this catalog will be used by the new installation
of EasyShare.

enjoy

PS. MFC42.dll is a Microsoft DLL That comes with the OS. We don't
include that as part of EasyShare. Re-installing may not make this
problem go away.

Old October 14th 04, 04:55 AM
Jer

Dave Brenan wrote:

I've been having problems with EasyShare lately - it won't open,
giving me a C++ runtime error and saying there's a problem with
MFC42.dll. I plan to just unistall it, run the Clean utility from the
Kodak website to remove all traces from the registry, and then
download and install the most recent version. Hopefully this will
solve the runtime error problems. I know this shouldn't delete the
pictures I already have on the computer, but will I lose all of my
settings and entries such as captions, albums, keywords, etc.? Is
there a way to retain them, and import into the freshly installed
version?

Thanks.
-Dave B.

Well, you didn't say what Windows version you're using, but I found this
on the MS support site....

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188392

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'