Camera straps?

Old January 16th 19, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Camera straps?

On Jan 16, 2019, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 13:05:36 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 15/01/2019 23:15, newshound wrote:
Out playing with my new X-T3 and vertical grip today, mainly with the
50-230 while I save up for a 100-400!

Partly shooting outdoors failing to capture pheasants (quite windy
today, the usually plentiful buzzards were nowhere to be seen), partly
shooting a horse rider in an indoor school.

The conventional neck strap on the eyelets at each end of the top plate
just keeps getting in the way, especially switching from portrait to
landscape (otherwise very easy, with this grip).

The grip comes with a tethering point on the bottom, I see from Amazon
that there are several similar straps worn diagonally across the chest,
with a single point fixing to the bottom of the camera. Does anyone have
any particular advice, suggestions, or recommendations? Or are they all
much the same?

With the weight of the grip and longer lens I think I need something
with DSLR rather than mirrorless ratings. Is the tether point a standard
size? I think I'd like something that is fairly quick to detach.

TIA...Steve

Thanks to all for the quick and helpful responses. I'll review them at
leisure, as a break from trying to understand and master the X-T3 focus
options! I scarcely needed to touch the manual for the X-E1, the T3 is a
whole new kettle of fish :-)

Your best source of advice in this group on the subject of accessories
like a camera strap is Savageduck. After reading his posts for
several years, I'm convinced that he has purchased or tried more
camera-related items than anyone else. He must have a barn full of
stuff that he's tried and moved on from.

I am of the opposite persuasion. If I buy something that works, I
tend to stick with it. My Nikons came with factory straps and SmugMug
gave me a free strap, but the only strap I've purchased was a Black
Rapid. I like it, so that's the end of strap-buying for me.

I do have several camera bags in the closet. Each has been larger
than the previous to accommodate new and extra lenses. The current
Lowepro sling is OK, not ideal, but it'll suffice.

I have tried to downsize my bags to match my switch to mirrorless, and with
what I might take with me for any particular day trip/shoot. So my current
most used bag is a Domke 803, with #2 being a Think Tank Retrospective 30
(the old version).

When you get around to software decisions, Savageduck is also your
best source. He seems to have tried everything. He'll tell you that
his primary workflow is Lightroom and, when called for, Photoshop, but
he has a least a half dozen other programs and plug-ins.

So true. The latest trial test run being Capture One 12, and good as it is, I
have resisted buying, or subscribing to that.

I'm Lightroom and Photoshop, too, but do own the old NIK from
Google-ownership days. I've never tried DxO's "upgrade" and don't
intend to. I won a copy of OnOne's Suite 7 program, but never used it
enough to upgrade to the later versions.

I guess I ought to be grateful that somebody has validated my chronic ‘Gear
Acquisition Syndrome’ (GAS). ;-)

Savageduck

Old January 16th 19, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 16/01/2019 13:42, Savageduck wrote:
On Jan 16, 2019, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Jan 16, 2019, newshound wrote
(in articlea_WdnchcDJqCsaLBnZ2dnUU78d3NnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

[...]

The first thing I did on both my X-E3, and my X-T3 was to the Touch Screen
focus.

That was meant to read; The first thing I did on both my X-E3, and my X-T3
was to DISABLE the Touch Screen focus.

Yes I think I am going to do this too. There is just *so* much to try to
get on top of, especially with three different ways to scroll through
the menus. Five if you include the controls on the vertical grip. I can
see that a professional sports or wildlife photographer using the camera
daily would get used to it fairly quickly. One thing that caught me out
the other day was shooting in relatively low light at 1/250 in auto iso,
not realising that the default setting had only 3200 as the maximum.
Why? It took me a while to spot why I was underexposing with the f/6
limit of the 50-230. But I can see that it is a great camera, it's just
going to take me a while to learn it. The X-E1 menus are more
transparent, to my mind, even though the T3 has more mechanical knobs.
Old January 16th 19, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I'm a bag fan too. I started with a "boxy" Retrospective for the
X-E1, then moved to a Lowepro backpack with room for a Macbook and a
tripod (plus snacks and a cagoule), and a really nice side door for the
camera that you can use without taking the backpack off even with a 200
mm lens. With the extra size of the X-T3 and grip I'm using the boxy bag
on a diagonal shoulder strap at the moment.

Still playing with Affinity for PP at the moment, but I am relatively
new to that game. Used to do a fair bit of dodging back in enlarger days
though.
Old January 16th 19, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

wrote:

[...]

I have the old style Retrospective 30 too. It's a very well designed
bag, IMHO, and big enought for a T3 with grip, and space to spare for a
couple of lenses. Not that I have the 100-400 yet.

Old January 16th 19, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I have never put much effort into camera bags. I carry a couple hard
cases for lenses in the back seat of my truck, and from there I pack a
small soft bag or photo vest. When doing a days' shooting, I make
frequent walks back to my truck to change gear. A couple of my lenses
have specific cases, the 1200mm for example.

I guess my most used camera bag is a Ford F-150!

When you get around to software decisions, Savageduck is also your
best source. He seems to have tried everything. He'll tell you that
his primary workflow is Lightroom and, when called for, Photoshop, but
he has a least a half dozen other programs and plug-ins.

So true. The latest trial test run being Capture One 12, and good as it is, I
have resisted buying, or subscribing to that.

I'm Lightroom and Photoshop, too, but do own the old NIK from
Google-ownership days. I've never tried DxO's "upgrade" and don't
intend to. I won a copy of OnOne's Suite 7 program, but never used it
enough to upgrade to the later versions.

I guess I ought to be grateful that somebody has validated my chronic ‘Gear
Acquisition Syndrome’ (GAS). ;-)

I agree with Mr Cooper's opinion of SD's skills. While I have disagreed
with SD a few times in the past, I will not argue with him!

SD may have chronic ‘Gear Acquisition Syndrome’, but his malady is wider
and less sharply focused. My own 'GAS' is probably deeper and more
narrow than his. I only use two camera models: the Canon FX and the Bell
& Howell/Canon FX. Over 600 of them.

--
Ken Hart

Old January 16th 19, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

My own 'GAS' is probably deeper and more
narrow than his. I only use two camera models: the Canon FX and the Bell
& Howell/Canon FX. Over 600 of them.

someone has a very severe hoarding problem.

Old January 17th 19, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 17/01/2019 10:03, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 January 2019 13:42:31 UTC, Savageduck wrote:

That was meant to read; The first thing I did on both my X-E3, and my X-T3
was to DISABLE the Touch Screen focus.

Have you ever used the touch screen to trigger the shutter ?. I assume you can as that is an option on my M3?

I've used mine a few times, when taking a few pics of the stars (astro) not celebs and again when using extention tubes for macro work, as I moved back and forth to focus I found it easier to tap the screen rather than try using the normal method which resuloted in the camera moving slightly as I pressed the shutter release.

I already have a wireless remote, as well as a wired one with all sorts
of timer options. New camera has bluetooth *and* wifi, both giving
remote shutter (and more). I can see that touch screen focus might be
particularly easy to trigger by accident (although it could be useful
for macro when using a tripod).
Old January 17th 19, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 17, 2019, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Wednesday, 16 January 2019 13:42:31 UTC, Savageduck wrote:

That was meant to read; The first thing I did on both my X-E3, and my X-T3
was to DISABLE the Touch Screen focus.

Have you ever used the touch screen to trigger the shutter ?. I assume you
can as that is an option on my M3?

Only to try the feature for a few tripod mounted landscape shots, along with
using the Touch Screen to move the focus point, otherwise not too much. It is
a useful feature when needed, but for me that is not too often, so it is
mostly disabled.

I've used mine a few times, when taking a few pics of the stars (astro) not
celebs and again when using extention tubes for macro work, as I moved back
and forth to focus I found it easier to tap the screen rather than try using
the normal method which resuloted in the camera moving slightly as I pressed
the shutter release.

Using the touch Screen when you don’t have a remote release available is
better than trying to trip the shutter gingerly. The other option would be to
use a 2 second time delay for the shutter. I also have the option of using
the Fujifilm Cam Remote app on my iPhone which works well for the most part,
but sometimes has connection issues. So a wired remote shutter release under
those circumstances is usually the least frustrating option.

Savageduck

Old January 17th 19, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 1/17/19 9:49 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 17 January 2019 14:14:18 UTC, Savageduck wrote:

The other option would be to
use a 2 second time delay for the shutter.

Not practical for hand held macro.

(snip)

I beg to differ; you should try it some time.
I've used the self-timer for hand-held long exposures (one second or
less). And with my mechanical camera, the self-timer is about 12 seconds.

Pressing the shutter button is going to require some sort of movement:
bad for a long exposure. By using the timer, you press the shutter
release and have a few seconds to get your body positioned for maximum
stability.

Years ago, I hiked a portion of the Abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike. In
the tunnel, I set the timer, positioned myself, and just waited for the
timer to go off. Better than walking three miles back to the parking
area for a tripod!

--
Ken Hart