Got my Nikon back - still broken.

Old August 1st 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Got my Nikon back - still broken.

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:01:34 -0400, Alan Browne

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 13:57:51 -0400, Alan Browne

Stay tuned for a list of Nikon lenses for sale...

Heed SilentLamb's post if you abandon Nikon bodies ... FujiFilm S3 will
work with your lenses and has a greater dynamic range (on the highlight
side by about 2 stops) than most other DSLR's.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Now instead of the Canon 30D I'm looking at the Sony... after all, one of my
film camera is a Minolta F9... wonder it thats too old a lens...

The Sony's are Maxxum/Dynax compatible (Autofocus), otherwise known as
Minolta A-mount. Older MF lenses from Minolta will not work on the Sony.

The Sony A100 is a disappointment to me, a glorified P&S. For Sony to
nail this one, they have to do a Maxxum 9 (or at least a Maxxum 7/7D)
class machine before I'll buy one (I have 6 Maxxum lenses, 5 of which
are high-end len$e$, so I really hope they step up to the plate).

Cheers,
Alan

After reading the reviews, I ordered a Sony for myself... should get it in a
week. I like the price/performance ratio.

I know it's missing lots of high end features that I would have got in the D200,
but the bottom line is - the end picture is the same or better according to
DCReview, and it's cheap.

As for things like high ISO - I never shoot in high ISO... I don't need 5 FPS,
3 would be great... 1 second boot time is OK, I usually turn the camera on 15
seconds before I want to shoot!

A glorified P&S is all I want for about 50% of my shots - simple product stuff -
another 25% is just tourist snapshots. For the remainder, I can muddle through.

Anyway, I will get a better camera one day, I seem to collect them... and I
might even get my Nikon back repaired...

I call it the 3 year itch...

I still have my 1973 Mamiya Sekor 35mm - a rare camera...

Old August 1st 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 01:42:32 +0000 (UTC), Paul J Gans wrote:

wrote:

A few stores told me they have a waiting list, and I told them to call me when a
camera comes in that I can see, and they seem to be ignoring me. One store told
me their waiting list is full, and maybe even the second list..? I gave up for
now. The pro at the store that sold me my D70 told me that Canon's are
better...

It might even be true, but my guess is that he'd rather sell
a camera than put you on a wait list.

It doesn't take genius-level brains to figure that you are on
several wait lists and will take the first one that comes through.

---- Paul J. Gans

I don't understand why I'm being ignored... one place I called back to see how
it was going said they didn't know of me being on a wait list...

Nobody wants to sell me what I want... or even try to sell me something else...

There are no salesmen anymore - just clerks...

Anyway - screw em all for now, I bought something else.

Old August 1st 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On 30 Jul 2006 21:55:47 -0700, "cjcampbell"

Sent my D70 in 4 weeks ago because the exposures were all over the place...

Picked it up today, they said they replaced the entire exposure circuit...

But they broke the multi-selector!

Having read this thread through, I might add a few comments.

I agree -- Nikon needs to know you are unhappy.

The D200 is a different camera than the 30D. They are in no way
comparable, except that they are both DSLRs. You might as well compare
the D70 with the 5D.

I also would avoid buying a DSLR at Best Buy. As Rita Berkowitz has
pointed out, they put those cameras out on display and let just anybody
poke their fingers around in the innards without any supervision
whatsoever -- and then sell the camera as new.

I know that - my first digital camera was a Kodak DC280 I bought years and years
ago from Future Shop - the first picture I took was number 61 !!! And the mem
card only held 21 pics! I don't shop there anymore unless I really really have
to!

I would like to know which Nikon service center you sent your camera
to.

I took it back to the Montreal photo store and they send it to Nikon Canada, not
sure where...

The new camera is rumored to be the D80. It will have the same build
quality as the D70, but a better viewfinder, larger LCD, 10.2
megapixels, and many other improvements. If Nikon follows their usual
pattern, picture quality will be at least as good as the D200 (but of
course, the D80 will not be a D200 in any other respect). They say it
will retail for $899. Several sites have pictures and a description
available now, but who knows how accurate any of them are?

Actually, I want a better camera someday... better then the D200, which has
sensor noise problems. But I'll wait - no big rush!

Old August 1st 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On 31 Jul 2006 18:14:27 -0700, "RichA" wrote:

wrote:
Sent my D70 in 4 weeks ago because the exposures were all over the place...

Picked it up today, they said they replaced the entire exposure circuit...

But they broke the multi-selector!

One direction doesn't work, can't go down in menus!

Great work, Nikon...

So looks like I'll have no pictures this summer...

And a Canon system next summer... that 30D looks nicer now...

Bye-bye Nikon...

Stay tuned for a list of Nikon lenses for sale...

Well, the movie from plastic to metal could take you to a D200, but I
understand your
anger at them. Amazing how this kind of thing can happen.
You'd think there would be some "20 point" checklist they'd go through
when they
repair something.

I'm a tech, I used to work on 2-way FM business band radios and walkie-talkies,
and we had a computer test station to run the radios through before they could
go out. If they failed any of the 50 or so tests, they went back to the bench. I
mention this because their size and technology are similar to DSLR's.

I imagine that with my Nikon, some dude put it back together improperly and
either damaged the switch connector or didn't plug in a ribbon or flex foil
properly... I know small stuff is hard to fix, but come on, Nikon...

Old August 1st 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

wrote:
[...]

I think it's getting to the point where anything under $500 is simply
not worth fixing.
The main problem is lack of modularity.

Old August 1st 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

Default More photo semiliteracy (was Got my Nikon back - still broken.)

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
[ . . . ]

The Sony A100 is a disappointment to me, a glorified P&S.

It's patently foolish to call *any* digital SLR "a glorified P&S."

The term "point and shoot" is grotesquely misused 99.9% of the time anyway.
It's absurd, for example, to call a highly sophisticated and versatile
camera like the Nikon Coolpix 8800 a "point and shoot," but many users do
for some unfathomable reason. Whence comes the silly notion that anything
not an SLR must be a "point and shoot"?

Look, "point and shoot" was the term coined to mean compact 35mm cameras
with no user controls at all, apart from a few flash modes and self-timer.
Everything else was automatic; the camera made every decision about exposure
and focus settings by itself and in most cases didn't even give the user a
clue as to what those settings were. All the user could do was, literally,
point and shoot, and hope the camera was making reasonably good guesses.

That has NOTHING WHATEVER in common with the vast majority of digital
cameras today. I have shirt-pocket sized digital cameras that give me more
control over the picture-taking process than most if not all of the 35mm
SLRs I'ved owned over the last 45 years or so. My Nikon 8400, 8700 and 8800
cameras go far beyond any of those 35s in terms of user controls. Why, then,
"P&S"? It's a nonsense term when applied to such cameras.

I don't have (have never even handled) a Sony Alpha 100. I do have the
Maxxum 5D which of course the A100 is based on, and love the camera.
Probably I will eventually get the Sony too. Minolta's Anti-Shake (now
"Super SteadyShot" in the Sony) is a really great feature and almost sells
the camera by itself -- especially for those of us who already have
closetfuls of Maxxum lenses.

Neil

Old August 1st 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

wrote in message
[ . . . ]

After reading the reviews, I ordered a Sony for myself... should get it in
week. I like the price/performance ratio.

Same here.

I know it's missing lots of high end features that I would have got in the
D200,
but the bottom line is - the end picture is the same or better according
DCReview, and it's cheap.

As for things like high ISO - I never shoot in high ISO... I don't need 5
FPS,
3 would be great... 1 second boot time is OK, I usually turn the camera
on 15
seconds before I want to shoot!

A glorified P&S is all I want for about 50% of my shots - simple product
stuff -
another 25% is just tourist snapshots. For the remainder, I can muddle
through.

And it's not "a glorified P&S" anyway.

Anyway, I will get a better camera one day, I seem to collect them...

I know how that goes!

and I
might even get my Nikon back repaired...

I call it the 3 year itch...

I still have my 1973 Mamiya Sekor 35mm - a rare camera...

Dunno how rare it is, but I had a couple of Mamiya Sekor D1000s about 1975
and liked 'em a lot. In those days I was accumulating lenses with the
so-called Praktica-Pentax screw mount, and over a dozen years or so owned a
number of Petri, Yashica, Praktica, Mamiya Sekor and Fujica cameras with
that mount. While it was sort of primitive even then, the nice thing about
that mount was there were so many cameras using it so you never really got
locked into one brand.

Neil

Old August 1st 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:16:46 -0400, "Neil Harrington" wrote:

[...]

I agree with you. To me a point&shoot is a camera with a tiny, noisy sensor, and
a fixed lens, and usually shoots only in fully auto. My 280 was one.

P&S cams always had a few adjustments, but nothing like a DSLR. Some never had
any manual setting.

I have an expensive newer P&S, the Dimage 7i, it has every adjustment you can
think of, but the pics are crap compared to my D70. You might not call it a P&S
technically, but I use that term as the dividing line between sensor size and
lens mounts.

Maybe we need a third term!

So many things, so few pigeon holes!