Dry mounting Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet paper

Old November 1st 04, 02:50 PM
Trish Williams

Default Dry mounting Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet paper

I am a new illustrator printing my work on Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet
paper or Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight, for sale in the fine art
market. I have been having my work professionally dry mounted but am
finding the cost prohibitive. In an attempt to learn to do this myself
I have looked for information in Google Groups and discovered that the
process is to dry mount the corners of the photo paper in a dry mount
press. The images I have had professionally mounted seem to be
completly adheared to the mounting board, not just in the corners. An
exacto knife inserted under the edges cannot lift the page. Is this
possible? Do you know if the process for this thinner paper is
different from photo paper? Can you recommend a dry mount press for
this purpose? I have been looking on E-Bay for a mounting press but
hesitate to purchase a press that may not be able to mount my images.
Old November 1st 04, 05:28 PM
Thor Lancelot Simon

Trish Williams wrote:
I am a new illustrator printing my work on Epson Photo Quality Ink Jet
paper or Epson Matte Paper Heavyweight, for sale in the fine art
market. I have been having my work professionally dry mounted but am
finding the cost prohibitive. In an attempt to learn to do this myself
I have looked for information in Google Groups and discovered that the
process is to dry mount the corners of the photo paper in a dry mount
press. The images I have had professionally mounted seem to be

No. I don't know what you read, but you misunderstood it.

Dry mounting bonds the entire artwork to the support. A sheet of
wax-infused tissue is placed between the artwork and the support and
the entire assembly is placed in a very hot press that looks much like
a giant sandwich press of the sort used to make panini (ugh) or Cuban
sandwiches (yum!).

What I have been wondering, myself, is what that much heat does to the
permanence of the Epson ink and paper. It's not clear to me that it's
actually designed to be dry-mounted.

A better option may be 3M Repositionable Adhesive, which is also
usually considered archival. It is somewhat annoying to work with, in
my experience, but no heat is required. Spray adhesive, glue,
double-stick tape, etc -- those are definitely no-nos.

If you cannot find a working solution that bonds the entire print to
the support you will need to hinge the print with archival linen
tape, or use clear polyethylene corners to hold the corners of the
print in place. The latter solution usually works better for small
prints, the former for large ones; but I do not know how well the
linen tape will stick to the very slippery Epson inkjet paper.

All these materials are available from Light Impressions.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
objects that he could think of, and had screamed: "You lamp! You towel! You

Old November 1st 04, 07:00 PM
Donald Qualls

Trish Williams wrote:

[...]

Generally, you'll tack the corners using a tacking iron (looks like a
tiny clothes iron on a handle like a soldering iron), to hold the print
and dry mount tissue in place, then put the assembly (with cover paper,
usually, to protect the print surface from anything that might be on the
press platen) into the dry mount press for all-over adhesion.

I can't help you with recommendations; it's been about thirty years
since I dry mounted anything.

--
The challenge to the photographer is to command the medium, to use
whatever current equipment and technology furthers his creative

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old November 1st 04, 07:41 PM
f/256

"Trish Williams" wrote in message
om...
[...]

See if your local library has or can get for you "The Life of a Photograph:
Archival Processing, Matting, Framing, and Storage" ISNB#0240800249

Guillermo

Old November 1st 04, 07:42 PM
Thor Lancelot Simon

Donald Qualls wrote:
hesitate to purchase a press that may not be able to mount my images.

Generally, you'll tack the corners using a tacking iron (looks like a
tiny clothes iron on a handle like a soldering iron), to hold the print
and dry mount tissue in place, then put the assembly (with cover paper,
usually, to protect the print surface from anything that might be on the
press platen) into the dry mount press for all-over adhesion.

No! You don't want to tack the tissue to the art or mat at more than
one place -- that's the best way to wrinkle the tissue when it goes
into the press and guarantee a permanently damaged work.

One tack to the art, one tack to the support; that's all.

Old November 1st 04, 07:53 PM
Christopher Woodhouse

I agree with Thor, the 3M sheet is a sensible alternative which, as far as I
am aware, has no vices. I have a drymount press, but it kills any inkjet
print at 80C with a gloss surface.

On 1/11/04 5:28 pm, in article , "Thor Lancelot