Push Fortepan 400?

Old October 18th 04, 04:30 AM

Default Push Fortepan 400?

Just had to push a roll of Fortepan 400, any recommendations on dev
and times for this without getting excessive grain, will use Rodinal
if I must but would prefer X-tol or D-76.
Old October 18th 04, 12:17 PM
Donald Qualls

Just had to push a roll of Fortepan 400, any recommendations on dev
and times for this without getting excessive grain, will use Rodinal
if I must but would prefer X-tol or D-76.

XTOL is reported to be one of the best developers available for
increasing film speed without excessive extra grain. The Massive Dev
Chart at
www.digitaltruth.com recommends 12.5 minutes with XTOL 1:1 for
EI 400 (this is for 35 mm, but shouldn't vary much for 120, if you're
using that size). While they don't have a recommendation for higher EI,
in general you can push cubic grain films like Fortepan one stop by
increasing development time 40-50%; that would put you around 18 minutes
in 1:1, still at 68F with normal agitation.

Another fine option, if you can get it, would be to develop in Diafine;
that should support an EI of 640 to 800 without a great increase in
grain, and maintain approximately normal contrast (certainly no more
increase than would occur with a conventional push to 800). Diafine is
easy and quick to use -- three minutes in Bath A, with gentle agitation
every minute, and then (without stop or rinse) three minutes in Bath B
with minimal agitation (I've found 5 inversions after filling, and one
at each minute after that works very well), then water stop and fix
normally. As a bonus, the Diafine working solutions last approximately
forever -- because Bath A isn't alkaline, the developing agent isn't
prone to oxidation as it would be in single bath developers. Some users
replenish by replacing lost volume of the A bath with fresh solution,
while pouring off and replacing the same quantity of B bath; others just
use the same solution as long as it will cover the film, then discard
and replace both baths. Seems to work fine either way.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.
Old November 4th 04, 06:43 PM
Donald Qualls

Stefan Kahlert wrote:
(Uranium Committee) wrote in message . com...

wrote in message . ..

Just had to push a roll of Fortepan 400, any recommendations on dev
and times for this without getting excessive grain, will use Rodinal
if I must but would prefer X-tol or D-76.

You cannot push any film. It doesn't work.

What do you think why about all manufacturers of black and white films
and chemicals give times for push-processing?

Not to forget the well adopted use of tailoring the CI of film to the
subject brightness range as done in the zone-system
(
http://dizzy.library.arizona.edu/bra...de/zonesys.htm).

Maybe a conspiracy?

Stefan, just ignore Uranium Committee -- he rants on and on with the
same old "you can't" and "that's no good" messages, and all he's after
is attention. He's what the Usenet community calls a "troll".

--
The challenge to the photographer is to command the medium, to use
whatever current equipment and technology furthers his creative

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old November 4th 04, 08:51 PM
Andrew Price

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:43:19 GMT, Donald Qualls
wrote:

Stefan, just ignore Uranium Committee -- he rants on and on with the
same old "you can't" and "that's no good" messages, and all he's after
is attention. He's what the Usenet community calls a "troll".

I haven't followed the group for several months - is he by any chance
the troll formerly known as Michael Scarpitti?