New Sigma DSLR coming

Old August 31st 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jhthurman

Default New Sigma DSLR coming

I assume this group is interested in making pictures, not focusing on the
religion and politics of camera manufacturers and marketing imperatives.

Well, I went out to Steve's and looked at the sample pictures off the SD10
and compared them to the D200 and Canon 30D...the older SD10 actually
captured a better image than either the Nikon or Canon....it will be
interesting to see what the SD14 is capable of.

SD10: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...0_samples.html

D200: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...0_samples.html

30D: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...D_samples.html

A good comparison is the red brick building shots...look at the details and
color around the roof, the upper A/C units and the numbers on the
dumpster....

"Slack" wrote in message
RichA wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082901sigmasd14.asp

You know you're 100% weak-sauce, don't you. ROFLMAO, is that a snap
button I see on the side?? On the bright side, at least it's black.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?i...sn1=&sid1=&div
page=5&sn=off&sid=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange= headnum&desc=asc&no=25
327

--
Slack

Old September 1st 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

jhthurman wrote:
I assume this group is interested in making pictures, not focusing on the
religion and politics of camera manufacturers and marketing imperatives.

Yes. Some of us.

Well, I went out to Steve's and looked at the sample pictures off the SD10
and compared them to the D200 and Canon 30D...the older SD10 actually
captured a better image than either the Nikon or Canon....

In what respect, just pixel-pixel sharpness? How about dynamic range,
high ISO, flesh tone accuracy? What is your opinion of the two shots
in that series that contain skintones?

The drop on over to Sigma's SD-14 website (http://www.sigma-sd14.com/):
Do a screen grab and catch the girl's face that is flicked up ever so
briefly....
What do *you* think of that? Granted, it's just a screengrab from a
Flash presentation, but do you think it portends well for this camera?
Even taking the above into account - it's *bloody awful*!!

Here are some comments I made elsewhere - I'll be interested to hear
yours:
The girl's skin colour isn't *too* bad, but it shows a bit of that ugly
yellow/orange tinge imo. It has other very serious problems, including
noise where it shouldn't be - look into her eye 'whites' and the
midtones - yuch!!, and a lot of 'pepper grains' plus (or perhaps
because of) ridiculous over-sharpening. On further inspection, the
image also shows some strange fine banding in various areas, eg along
the shadow of her nose, also above the i and the v of 'believe'. Maybe
it's just an ad agencies over-processing, but it doesn't augur well.

it will be
interesting to see what the SD14 is capable of.

IF they (Sigma) have fixed the non-linear colour (esp jaundiced skin
tones), the poor high ISO performance (which produces even *more*
non-linear colour and objectionable noise), and IF they fitted the
camera with a few modern features, like IS and/or sensor cleaning, I
might get vaguely interested too, but it's not looking good so far..
I'll be delighted to be proven wrong, though.

A good comparison is the red brick building shots...look at the details and
color around the roof, the upper A/C units and the numbers on the
dumpster....

Well, yes, it's a good comparison if resolution is your only critieria
and you shoot a lot of red buildings, a/c's and dumpsters... I don't
think many people dispute that the Sigma performs better *per pixel*
than a bayer, strictly in terms of direct comparison of resolution
*only*. But resolution isn't the thing that effectively meant the old
Sigma's were not regarded highly. Color fidelity, dynamic range and
noise are the problems.

Oh, and a proprietary lens mount that no-one else is interested in,
and..

(O;

Old September 1st 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Michael Schnell

That's what I'm thinking. Except I wouldn't call it 13.51 MP actual, I'd
say 4.5 MP actual, 13.51 MP color sites... After all, working in
monochrome, that would only be 4.5 MP.

A decent camera should output JP2 as it's native format. So you can
choose a random pixel count when displaying. The marketing people could
claim this is infinite pixel count g.