New Nikon?s ?NIKKOR & ACC? app released

Old August 24th 15, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default New Nikon?s ?NIKKOR & ACC? app released

In article , PeterN
wrote:

Ok! That looks like a decent monitor, not a printer. Which is łprinter A˛
and which is "printer B˛?

A thinko. That should have read Monitor A & Monitor B. Both are NEC. One
covers only the sRGB spectrum. The one I will probably get covers 96.3%
of the RGB spectrum. My thought was why would I need more than 100% of
the sRGB spectrum, if the vast majority of my current work is only in
that space. my answer, is expansion potential.

because printers can print more than srgb.
Old August 24th 15, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-24 15:24:37 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/23/2015 7:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 23, 2015, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 2015-08-23 14:12:51 +0000, said:

Le Snip

My next equipment purchase will be a monitor. I have been researching
4k monitors. I have ruled out several at the low end, and several at
the high end. What I am trying to reconcile is, if the printer I use
does not use the full RGB spectrum, how would it benefit me to use a
monitor that does.

Stop screwing with with the idea that a new 4K monitor/display is going
to feed a good printer good printer data it can't digest. A budget
printer perhaps. With a good photo printer you are going to be happy
with the results, provided you go about things intelligently.
Perhaps I didn't state my question properly. Consider two printers.
Printer A covers 100% of the sRGB spectrum.

Printer B covers about 146% of the sRGB spectrum, and 99.3% of the RGB
spectrum.

I have pretty much narrowed my choice:
Probably this one. unless I see a compelling reason to make a different
choice.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=11058076&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

Ok! That looks like a decent monitor, not a printer. Which is “printer A”
and which is "printer B”?

A thinko. That should have read Monitor A & Monitor B. Both are NEC.
One covers only the sRGB spectrum. The one I will probably get covers
96.3% of the RGB spectrum. My thought was why would I need more than
100% of the sRGB spectrum, if the vast majority of my current work is
only in that space. my answer, is expansion potential.

You start with a properly calibrated monitor/display. Without that you
have no starting point and there is no way to produce consistant results
in post. The data saved in the post processed, edited image file, and
then sent to the printer is going to be the same regardless of how fancy
your display is. Make sure the display is properly calibrated then it
doesn't matter what display you are working on.

Yep! I believe in monitor calibration.

Good.

Only then should you concern yourself with your printer. If you are
using a good Pro/semi-Pro photoprinter use the appropriate printer/paper
icc profiles. If I remember correctly you have an Epson R3880 which will
not have any problems dealing with whatever you throw at it, provided
you use the correct matching printer/paper icc profiles.

I also seem to recall that you use Costco for some of your print jobs.
For color prints the Costco results are going to be a crap shoot.

I use the Costco Profiles, and give instructions to print as is, without
adjusting for anything. Most of the time the comply. For the rare times
they haven't, they have cheerfully reprinted. I had been dealing with
one person for years, until she retired. Her replacement seems to take
just as much pride in doing a proper job.

The only time you need to use Costco profiles is if you are soft proofing
with LR or PS. You don’t have their printer. Only they can apply their
profile via their software for the printer and paper they are using.

Nope. According to the profile people, if I want the print to have
accurate color, I should convert to that profile prior to printing, and
they do not change anything. IOW I submit a print ready job. I use a
different profile for glossy than I do for matte, and a different
profile for each printer. I specify which printer they are to use. I
have had n color shift issues since I started doing that.

What profile people, Costco's?

....and of course you should use a different icc profile for different
paper types and printers. If you stick to using matched paper/printer
profiles you should have consistent results.

As a matter of interest, what paper types and various printers does
Costco offer?

Currently my favorite paper is Red River Papers, Polar Pearl Metallic.
The results I get with that from my R2880 are simply amazing.
http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/photo-metallic-inkjet-glossy-media-paper-metal.html

If

I am going to print on a premium or speciality paper I prefer to use my
printer with known matching profiles, or a service such as MPix, or BayPhoto.

What is the printer you currently use?

Mostly Costco for competition submissions.

That much I understood, so let me try again.
Do you actually have quality photo printer at home, or are you totally
dependant on Costco?

Even with my R2880 I get outstanding prints on a variety of Epson, Red
River, and Ilford papers when used with the appropriate matching icc
profiles.

IMHO you are using an excellent printer. I know quite a few fine
photography artists who use either the 2880, or the 3880.

Yup! My biggest disappointment was the Canon i9900 which never produced
consistent color and cost the same as the R2880. I have been put off Canon
photo writers ever since.

Savageduck

Old August 24th 15, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-08-23 14:12:51 +0000, said:

Le Snip

[...]

For family type stuff I have an Epson all in one. The photo quality is
good enough to make everybody happy. The 8x10 is OK, but most of the
time they just want 4x6, or smaller.

--
PeterN
Old August 24th 15, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

For family type stuff I have an Epson all in one. The photo quality is
good enough to make everybody happy. The 8x10 is OK, but most of the
time they just want 4x6, or smaller.

if all they want are 4x6 prints, then get a 4x6 dyesub printer. they're
cheap, small and *very* good.
Old August 24th 15, 07:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-24 15:24:37 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/23/2015 7:02 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Aug 23, 2015, PeterN wrote
(in article

Le Snip

What is the printer you currently use?

Mostly Costco for competition submissions.

That much I understood, so let me try again.
Do you actually have quality photo printer at home, or are you totally
dependant on Costco?

For family type stuff I have an Epson all in one. The photo quality is
good enough to make everybody happy. The 8x10 is OK, but most of the
time they just want 4x6, or smaller.

If you are looking for real quality in your prints, and you are
prepared to spend what you do on cameras, glass, and monitors, then
adding a good photo printer is something you should consider. The
rewards are well beyond your imagination.
If I were you I would take a look at the new Epson photo printers, the
13" P600 and the 17" P800.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=C11CE21201&UseCookie=yes#0
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/SeriesSureColorP800/Overview.do?UseCookie=yes

If

you are interested (let me know via email) I can mail you an example
print from my R2880 on Red River Polar Pearl Metallic I think you will
be surprised.

Savageduck

Old August 24th 15, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-24 15:24:37 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

Dunno about Peter, but with young grandchildren I do a lot of 4x6
prints. The difference in quality between prints done on my Epson
All-In-One or by Costco and what I'd get from a top of the line
printer plus profile matched paper would be indistinguishable.

The few times I want an large-size print for framing I send out. The
local camera shop has a source they use that does very good work.

I also have an Epson All-in-One XP-610 for general printing, 4x6, 5x7,
and the occasional 8x10. That is useful casual prints and for instant
gratification WiFi prints off my iPhone, iPad, and the
"Step-Daughter-from-Hell's iPhone. I agree those are quite acceptable.

When I print on premium papers, usually 13x19, 11x17, 8.5x11, or 9x13
that I take a bit more care and use the R2880.

Savageduck

Old August 24th 15, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-24 15:24:37 +0000, PeterN said:
[...]

Meant to add...what I really need is wall space, not better prints.

A printer is going to be less costly that a property expansion. You
probably need to set up a seasonal print rotation system.

Savageduck

Old August 24th 15, 10:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/24/2015 2:01 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

For family type stuff I have an Epson all in one. The photo quality is
good enough to make everybody happy. The 8x10 is OK, but most of the
time they just want 4x6, or smaller.

if all they want are 4x6 prints, then get a 4x6 dyesub printer. they're
cheap, small and *very* good.

Why. Everybody is happy with the one I use. Of course there are better,
but there is no reason to change, thank you very much.

--
PeterN
Old August 24th 15, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-08-24 15:24:37 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

That is being planned. But right now won't even have the time to go to
B&H and pick up the monitor. I have been spending my days, into the
evening at the hospital, and am not really in the mood.

--
PeterN
Old August 24th 15, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/24/2015 3:25 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 13:51:07 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

For family type stuff I have an Epson all in one. The photo quality is
good enough to make everybody happy. The 8x10 is OK, but most of the
time they just want 4x6, or smaller.

Ditto. I print family 4x6s and 5x7s on my Epson XP-410. I'll order
the prints from Costco if more than around 10 are needed because large
runs use inkjet ink. It's not cost comparison thing, it's a
convenience thing since if an ink color runs out it's always when you
need that print now.

Murphy prevails.
I used to have the following sign over the main copier in my office, in
bold 24pt type:
"UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS ANYONE USING THIS MACHINE PERMITTED TO LET
THE MACHINE KNOW WHEN YOU ARE IN A HURRY!!!"

--
PeterN