Waiting For The Wind

Old August 8th 15, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Waiting For The Wind

Hobie Cat caught by the calm at Port San Luis.

https://db.tt/gfDm2RvQ

Savageduck

Old August 8th 15, 04:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/8/2015 2:03 AM, Savageduck wrote:
Hobie Cat caught by the calm at Port San Luis.

https://db.tt/gfDm2RvQ

nice concept. I would have put the cat on the right quadrant. My thought
is that we tend to view from left to right. The lead is from the left to
the right, otherwise the negative space on the right is just wasted
pixels. Try it and see which you like better.

--
PeterN
Old August 8th 15, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-08 15:08:09 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/8/2015 2:03 AM, Savageduck wrote:
Hobie Cat caught by the calm at Port San Luis.

https://db.tt/gfDm2RvQ

nice concept. I would have put the cat on the right quadrant. My
thought is that we tend to view from left to right. The lead is from
the left to the right, otherwise the negative space on the right is
just wasted pixels. Try it and see which you like better.

I was trying to rationalize composition when I was working on it. I was
left with three workable options:
1: Use your suggestion. However, then I would be left with a whole
bunch of clutter on the left which was awkward to remove.
Here is what was going on from the left.
https://db.tt/4QrIdrV2

2: Change the aspect ratio and center the subject.
https://db.tt/45q14UUg

or
3: Present it as I did.

There was one other possibility, have them move the "cat" to the right.

For me this was more a casual look at how the X-E1 dealt with the
saturated colors in that sail.

Savageduck

Old August 8th 15, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/8/2015 11:41 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2015-08-08 15:08:09 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I see what you mean. Here's my attempt. I cropped and changed the aspect
ratio back:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/Untitled-1.jpg

--
PeterN
Old August 8th 15, 05:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2015-08-08 15:08:09 +0000, PeterN said:
[...]

The problem with that is the distortion you created.
Just how did you go about "changing the aspect ratio back"?
Did you just change the vertical dimension?

Savageduck

Old August 8th 15, 06:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

On 2015-08-08 15:08:09 +0000, PeterN said:
[...]

I know there is distortion, there has to be. I simply changed the
horizontal dimension. The aspect ration can also be changed without
distorting the subject by selecting the subject and saving the selection
to a separate file. then change the dimension of the image while cloning
out the subject. A simple coy and paste will restore the subject at its
original undistorted size. I just did my change in a quick and dirty
manner to give you an idea of what it would look like.

--
PeterN