Question regarding e-mailed images an dtheir quALITY

Old July 6th 15, 10:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

Default Question regarding e-mailed images an dtheir quALITY

On 2015-07-05 01:19:48 +0000, Mort said:

Hi,

Both my H-P printer and my H-P PC laptop are set to sRGB.

That is probably just fine since you are not working in a color
critical, calibrated environment (I am making an assumption there). What
at minimum you need to be sure of is that you are using sRGB, which
should give the recipient the best opportunity to see things as you
intended.

I cannot find what the Picasa program is set to.

I used Picasa briefly years ago, and no longer do so. What I suspect is
happening is, when you use Picasa to email image files, all it is doing
is sending a representative thumbnail linked to the file stored online.
This saves Google bandwidth.
When the recipient clicks on that thumbnail in the email he/she calls on
the linked file and they get a compressed representation of the JPEG on
the Picasa server. A further Google/Picasa bandwith saver.
That is not a full representation of the image file you intended to send.

I would log in to your account at picasa.com and look at what options
they have for sending image files via email. You might discover exactly
what they do. Check on Picasa forums, support or other.

The other solution is to stop sending image files from within Picasa,
and just send them directly from your desktop.

Indeed. I tend to export images from Picasa, which lets you chose a
resolution and save somewhere else, and then email the file from my
normal mail software.
Old July 6th 15, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 2015-07-05 01:19:48 +0000, Mort said:

Hi,

[...]

Following Mayayana's comment, I should have said "email the jpeg file as
an attachment".
Old July 6th 15, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

On 2015-07-05 01:19:48 +0000, Mort said:

Hi,

[...]

Hi Duck,

Thanks so much for your very sage advice. I'll check further into
Picasa's settings for sending pix out, as soon as I return from a
trip. If unsuccessful,then I'll try to send them without Picasa. The
problem is that the pix in "Pictures" are not edited, while those,in
Picasa have been edited by me:
sharpened. cropped, color corrected where needed, straightened, grouped,
etc..

I hope that your vision has improved after your cataract operations. The
results are usually good these days. I'll need the same in a year or two.

Best,

Mort Linder
Old July 6th 15, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Hi Mayayana,

Thanks for your helpful comments. As I just wrote to Duck, the problem
as I see it is that my pix in my Windows "Pictures" files are not
edited. The pix in my Picasa files are edited by me: sharpened,
cropped, color corrected as needed, straightened, and grouped. If I send
pix from Pictures, then they are not edited.

I will look into Picasa settings and e-mail settings, to try and send
out higher quality images in the first place.

If all else fails, I can still tell my recipients to click on the JPEG
numbers in the upper right corner of each image to see better images.

As a friend told me, these electronics are all crazy. (I have been
building and dealing with medical and audio recording electronics for 70
years so far.)

Again, many thanks for your helpful comments.

Best,

Mort Linder

Mayayana wrote:
I think Savageduck already gave you the answer:
Stop sending from Picasa. Send the actual image
files by attaching them in your email through Explorer.

You can test his theory
easily enough: Save one of the emails you've sent
yourself to your Desktop. Is the file size about 30%
larger than the image you sent? It should be if the
image is actually attached. You can also then open
that email in Notepad. Any attached files will be
base-64 encoded in the text of the email. If you sent
a 2 MB file you should find about 2.6 MB of gobbledygook
in the email. If, as SD sugested, it's really just a link
and a thumbnail then you'll find a small section of
gobbledygook and a link to Picasa.com.

It would make sense for Google to link to files.
First, it allows them to do a bit of spying, which
is really their main business. Second, the method
for sending binary files in email increases the data
by about 1/3. Email is text-only, so the binary file
has to be converted to Base-64, in which each 3
bytes are converted to 4 1-byte text characters.
So Google saves 25% on bandwidth even if every
single recipient views the file. (Which is also a good
reason not to send big files in email. Better to put
them on your website if you have one, or send a
link to a storage site.)

Old July 7th 15, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| the problem
| as I see it is that my pix in my Windows "Pictures" files are not
| edited. The pix in my Picasa files are edited by me: sharpened,
| cropped, color corrected as needed, straightened, and grouped. If I send
| pix from Pictures, then they are not edited.

It sounds like you need to take charge of your
file system... if you want to have that control.
You don't actually know where your files are. You
only know what Windows and Picasa are telling you.

Programs like Picasa help to find your files but
make it more difficult to manage them because
they work at odds with the file system. So the more
you use Picasa, the more you have to use Picasa
and can't afford to take off the "training wheels".

It's not for me to tell you the best way, but if it were
me I'd set up a system of organized storage folders,
then not have *anything* either online in Picasa or
in the Pictures folder. Those options are for people
who don't understand how to use the file system.

If you organize it all yourself then you won't need
Picasa and you'll know where everything is. The system
you have now is sort of like hiring someone to organize
your desk, then having to call that person to come by
every time you want to pay a bill or find old
correspondence. Your desk has drawers and cubbies
which you can organize as you like.

Old July 7th 15, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| the problem
| as I see it is that my pix in my Windows "Pictures" files are not
| edited. The pix in my Picasa files are edited by me: sharpened,
| cropped, color corrected as needed, straightened, and grouped. If I send
| pix from Pictures, then they are not edited.

It sounds like you need to take charge of your
file system... if you want to have that control.
You don't actually know where your files are. You
only know what Windows and Picasa are telling you.

so what?

what matters is finding the desired documents/images/etc.

where they are in the file system makes absolutely no difference
whatsoever. none. they might not even be local.

Programs like Picasa help to find your files but
make it more difficult to manage them because
they work at odds with the file system. So the more
you use Picasa, the more you have to use Picasa
and can't afford to take off the "training wheels".

nope.

asset managers make it *much* easier to find the desired documents and
they also provide additional functionality that is simply not possible
using the file system alone.

It's not for me to tell you the best way, but if it were
me I'd set up a system of organized storage folders,
then not have *anything* either online in Picasa or
in the Pictures folder. Those options are for people
who don't understand how to use the file system.

nonsense.

asset managers are for those who want to move beyond the limitations of
the file system as well as reduce the amount of work they need to do.

only those stuck in the past would want to directly interact with the
file system to find stuff. it's primitive.

If you organize it all yourself then you won't need
Picasa and you'll know where everything is.

maybe with a small number files, but it does not scale at all nor can
someone make queries beyond the most simplistic and it also depends on
how well everything is organized and maintained, which is a lot of
work, something which the computer can do a much better job. not only
that, complex queries are anywhere from difficult to impossible.

The system
you have now is sort of like hiring someone to organize
your desk, then having to call that person to come by
every time you want to pay a bill or find old
correspondence. Your desk has drawers and cubbies
which you can organize as you like.

which is how it should be. the computer is there to do work *for* you.

tap a couple of keys and you instantly have that old bill or a specific
photo or any combination thereof rather than digging through folders
and files, trying to remember what you called it.
Old July 7th 15, 04:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| It sounds like you need to take charge of your
| file system... if you want to have that control.
| You don't actually know where your files are. You
| only know what Windows and Picasa are telling you.
|
| so what?
|
| what matters is finding the desired documents/images/etc.
|
| where they are in the file system makes absolutely no difference
| whatsoever. none. they might not even be local.

If you'd been reading the thread you'd know that
it's making a big difference in this case. The OP isn't
sure exactly what he's sending, and that's ended up
causing a problem.

It's fine if you want to use Picasa and Apple storage,
or what have you, but it's a limited, oversimplified way to
operate as compared to actually managing and designing
your own file system. If you learn how to use that you
won't need Picasa to ferret out your images for you.

Old July 7th 15, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rusty Gear

Mort,
If you want to email higher quality edited photos out of Picasa, select
"Export" to get the command box (very bottom of the page: "Use Original
Size": "Image Quality 'Maximum': then "Export". The photo "as edited" will
be placed in a folder named ...../Picasa/Exports/'folder named in the export
command box'. Then email that edited photo by attaching the file to your
email.
John

Old July 7th 15, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| It sounds like you need to take charge of your
| file system... if you want to have that control.
| You don't actually know where your files are. You
| only know what Windows and Picasa are telling you.
|
| so what?
|
| what matters is finding the desired documents/images/etc.
|
| where they are in the file system makes absolutely no difference
| whatsoever. none. they might not even be local.

If you'd been reading the thread you'd know that
it's making a big difference in this case. The OP isn't
sure exactly what he's sending, and that's ended up
causing a problem.

the solution is not direct file system access.

for example, with lightroom, someone can export one ore more photos in
whatever size they want and in a variety of formats, all without
knowing specifically where the original files are kept.

It's fine if you want to use Picasa and Apple storage,
or what have you, but it's a limited, oversimplified way to
operate as compared to actually managing and designing
your own file system. If you learn how to use that you
won't need Picasa to ferret out your images for you.

wrong. it's vastly more capable.

maybe one day you'll get over your closed-mindedness and not make such
foolish statements.
Old July 7th 15, 04:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Mayayana wrote:
| It sounds like you need to take charge of your
| file system... if you want to have that control.
| You don't actually know where your files are. You
| only know what Windows and Picasa are telling you.
|
| so what?
|
| what matters is finding the desired documents/images/etc.
|
| where they are in the file system makes absolutely no difference
| whatsoever. none. they might not even be local.

If you'd been reading the thread you'd know that
it's making a big difference in this case. The OP isn't
sure exactly what he's sending, and that's ended up
causing a problem.

It's fine if you want to use Picasa and Apple storage,
or what have you, but it's a limited, oversimplified way to
operate as compared to actually managing and designing
your own file system. If you learn how to use that you
won't need Picasa to ferret out your images for you.

Hi,

Someone just sent me an e-mail from: , obviously a fake
address, and my reply bounced back.

That message was:
"For crying out loud.Mail yourself and see exactly what is being sent"

My response is now:

"For crying out loud, I already did exactly that in the first place.
That is how I discovered that the initial mediocre image would become a
very good image by double clicking into the upper right JPEG number."

If my questions bother someone, then just ignore the questions. To those
who are pleasant enough to try and help this alert octogenarian puzzle
out this problem, I say thank you again.

Mort Linder