P&S shooters: This is your CUE to do the RIGHT thing

Old January 26th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

Default P&S shooters: This is your CUE to do the RIGHT thing

And get a DSLR:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_176009.html

Friday 25th January 2008
Chris Cheesman
Canon EOS 30D

The launch of new, improved and cheaper enthusiast-level DSLRs is
forcing down the price of seemingly overpriced used cameras by up to
30%, according to a Japanese press report.

Trade publication Pen News Weekly reports that a doubling of consumers
trading-in new DSLRs has led to an increase in dealers' stocks of used
models.

'Rapidly increasing supply forced dealers to reduce the price by as
much as 20-30%, stripping profits,' reports Pen.

The article, published earlier this month, is based on comments made
by an unnamed industry source at a meeting organised by the Tokyo
Photo Dealers Association.

Pen asserts that the problem affects digital models more so than it
did film-based SLRs because newer models are 'without exception'
cheaper - and with 'better features' - than the cameras they replace.

PictuThe Japanese article cites the Canon EOS 30D as one example of
a used DSLR which has seen stock levels rise as a result of newer
models entering the market - in this case the EOS 40D
Old January 26th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
flambe

I am sitting here staring at my Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200VR lens attached.
This is a form factor only an SUV lover could admi large, heavy,
protruding. I have lugged this gargantua across the Pacific and the Atlantic
and probably the neck strap has permanently grooved the underlying bones in
my neck and shoulders.
Compare this obeastie to the form factor of all in one long zooms from
Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony.
Particularly if you just shoot jpegs, and obviously for personal and not
professional use, it is an illogical, I dare say stupid decision, to get a
dSLR for the majority of shooters out there, whether they recognize it or
not.
If most shooters recognized their limits Kodak might still be peddling
instamatics . . . .
If the noise beast can be tamed in the new Sony 12mp sensor it can be tamed
in the smaller sensors too--for the uses these cameras are intended just
taming noise to ISO 400 is probably enough.

Old January 26th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Rich wrote:
And get a DSLR:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk...ws_176009.html

Friday 25th January 2008
Chris Cheesman
Canon EOS 30D

The launch of new, improved and cheaper enthusiast-level DSLRs is
forcing down the price of seemingly overpriced used cameras by up to

snipped

The vast majority of camera users of any type aren't reading ng's so
views exchanged therein probably aren't going to change very many minds.
I can never understand how some poster's to ng's can categorically state
that which we should all use be it cameras, operating systems or
anything else with no regard to why and how we use same.
My guess is readers of this group appreciate views and experiences with
specific models or types when making choices, but are pretty savvy as to
what they feel they need.
Dave Cohen
Dave Cohen
Old January 26th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 17:05:31 GMT, "flambe" wrote:

I am sitting here staring at my Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200VR lens attached.
This is a form factor only an SUV lover could admi large, heavy,
protruding. I have lugged this gargantua across the Pacific and the Atlantic
and probably the neck strap has permanently grooved the underlying bones in
my neck and shoulders.

If you have a D80, then chances are you had a SLR 35mm film camera.
If you have an 18-200, chances are you had at least one extra long
lens for your 35mm SLR film camera.

I'll bet if I take out my old film 35mm and a long lens, that
combination would weigh double what your D80 and 18-200 weigh.
Well, may a third more.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old January 27th 08, 08:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

flambe wrote:
[...]

For many years ASA 400 was considered 'fast'. I have never used
anything faster, and have taken a LOT of pictures with ASA 25 film.
Working within the limitations of one's equipment is something every
photographer has to learn. Size is a very important factor to me,
rendering any kind of superzoom, or DSLR, unusable. I am not a
professional, not even a 'serious amateur'. I submit that my use of a
camera is my business, and no one has a right to tell me that my needs,
and my wants, are 'wrong', or that it makes me any less competent
because I choose a less flexible, less powerful, less complex, less
expensive tool to do what I like to do.

Anyone who don't like that can just sit on it!
Old January 27th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

flambe wrote:
I am sitting here staring at my Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200VR lens attached.
This is a form factor only an SUV lover could admi large, heavy,
protruding. I have lugged this gargantua across the Pacific and the Atlantic
and probably the neck strap has permanently grooved the underlying bones in
my neck and shoulders.
Compare this obeastie to the form factor of all in one long zooms from
Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony.
Particularly if you just shoot jpegs, and obviously for personal and not
professional use, it is an illogical, I dare say stupid decision, to get a
dSLR for the majority of shooters out there, whether they recognize it or
not.

I have a Canon S5 and do like the results and light weight. But I want
to print 11x14 and larger with some cropping and feel that a DSLR will
produce better results and also allow me to shoot as higher ISO with
less noise. Are you saying you do not agree with this?

Old January 28th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

On Jan 26, 12:05 pm, "flambe" wrote:
I am sitting here staring at my Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200VR lens attached.
This is a form factor only an SUV lover could admi large, heavy,
protruding. I have lugged this gargantua across the Pacific and the Atlantic
and probably the neck strap has permanently grooved the underlying bones in
my neck and shoulders.
Compare this obeastie to the form factor of all in one long zooms from
Panasonic, Canon, Olympus, Fuji, Sony.
Particularly if you just shoot jpegs, and obviously for personal and not
professional use, it is an illogical, I dare say stupid decision, to get a
dSLR for the majority of shooters out there, whether they recognize it or
not.

Your logic is flawed. If you use JPEGs only, a DSLR is a major asset
since by using JPEGs you restrict and already restricted dynamic range
in P&Ss.
Old January 28th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hey **** wadd. If you don't like P&S cameras don't buy one. Leaves others
the **** alone and shove your opinion on them up your dSLR memory slot!

Old January 28th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rich

On Jan 28, 2:42 pm, wrote:
Hey **** wadd. If you don't like P&S cameras don't buy one. Leaves others
the **** alone and shove your opinion on them up your dSLR memory slot!