Kodak Question

Old February 2nd 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Kodak Question

Hello all,
I have a three year old Kodak LS420 camera which works fine.

I recharge the batteries on a docking station and upload the files to my
hard drive on the same docking station as well.

The software that this camera uses is:
Kodak Picture Software 1.4

My computer is a Dell PC on Win 98 / PIII @ 350mhz w/ 128mb RAM

I recently purchased an 8 in 1 Card Reader from Kodak in the event that the
docking station dies.

In the package from Kodak was new software called:

Kodak EasyShare Version 3.4.2

Today, I dumped the old Kodak Picture software - 1.4 - from my computer and
installed the new version of 3.4.2

Not good.

I could not get the computer to install - it froze - and after five attemps,
I had to get into Safe Mode to dump Kodak 3.4.2

After speaking with five people from Kodak Support, they said that 3.4.2 is
no longer supported (eventhough I received the Card Reader from Kodak with
3.4.2 yesterday!) and that I should download Kodak Version 5.2 by going to:

www.kodak.com/go/easysharesw/

Question:
If I want to use my Kodak LS420 digital camera with both the docking station
*and* the card reader - should I dump 1.4 and now download and install 5.2?

Kodak has said that I should not have both versions on my hard drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Eddy

Old February 2nd 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

long eddy wrote:

Question:
If I want to use my Kodak LS420 digital camera with both the docking station
*and* the card reader - should I dump 1.4 and now download and install 5.2?

Kodak has said that I should not have both versions on my hard drive.

Not sure why the card reader shipped with the older software. The
latest version of EasyShare will work with both the card reader and
docking station.

If you had a newer computer with Windows XP you would not need Easyshare
at all. While some people like it, I've found transferring directly
with Windows works well and is easy.

You could also plug your camera directly into your computers USB port
bypassing both the card reader and docking station.
Old February 3rd 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

miles wrote:
long eddy wrote:

Question:
If I want to use my Kodak LS420 digital camera with both the docking
station
*and* the card reader - should I dump 1.4 and now download and install
5.2?

Kodak has said that I should not have both versions on my hard drive.

Not sure why the card reader shipped with the older software. The
latest version of EasyShare will work with both the card reader and
docking station.

If you had a newer computer with Windows XP you would not need Easyshare
at all. While some people like it, I've found transferring directly
with Windows works well and is easy.

You could also plug your camera directly into your computers USB port
bypassing both the card reader and docking station.

Transferring images directly from the camera to the PC is
fraught with danger, unless you are powering the camera on an A.C. power
supply. If the battery discharges or stumbles during the transfer, all
your in-camera memory card images could be wiped out. Be careful.

Morton
Old February 3rd 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Morton Linder wrote:
miles wrote:

long eddy wrote:

[...]

Sheesh!! Morton, didn't we just go
through this with a long and extended
thread? Consensus of the submissions
seemed to be that this 'might' be
possible, but highly unlikely. To say
it is "fraught with danger" is
unreasonable paranoia and fear mongering!

Sammy
Old February 3rd 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

long eddy wrote:
[...]

Eddy,
No, not on your computer. Reinstall the older version, and wait
until you upgrade the computer to something current for changing to the
newer software.
I am sure you are aware that your computer is a museum piece. Sometimes
it is better to use the software designed for the older, slower, computers.
Old February 3rd 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Morton Linder wrote:

Transferring images directly from the camera to the PC is
fraught with danger, unless you are powering the camera on an A.C. power
supply. If the battery discharges or stumbles during the transfer, all
your in-camera memory card images could be wiped out. Be careful.

By direct I meant using just normal windows XP features rather than some
3rd party software such as EasyShare.

I have at times connected my camera to the USB port of my PC to transfer
and have had the batteries die part way through. The only photo messed
up is the very last one transferred and only the PC's copy of it.
Camera card has always been just fine. I rarely use a card reader and
instead use the docking station. A card reader is just one more thing
to plug into my PC and clutter my already over crowded desk up! Plus I
don't like having to constantly remove the card from the camera.
Old February 3rd 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message:

Eddy,
No, not on your computer. Reinstall the older version, and wait
until you upgrade the computer to something current for changing to the
newer software.
I am sure you are aware that your computer is a museum piece. Sometimes
it is better to use the software designed for the older, slower,

computers.
--------------------------------------

That's what I did for the time being.

However, if the docking station dies and I want to use the 8 in 1 card
reader, I'm trying to figure out whether the newer Kodak software - 5.2 -
will be compatible with my Dell / Win98 / P III @ 350 mhz / 128mb RAM.

On the Kodak site - it says that 5.2 is is compatible with Win98.

Eddy

Old February 3rd 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

long eddy wrote:

[...]

Greetings Eddy,

You do not need the older versions of software. I suggest that you
remove them from the system and follow the directions to download
version 5.2 (a much better program). I am sure you will enjoy it. There
are several options you can use to install, but since you already have
the camera try the following URL which will take you directly to the ver
52. download option. Just click on Open and the new version will
install. Let me know if you have trouble.

You have an OK system though it is an earlier technology. I suggest that
you be careful of new software and make sure you read the system
requirements. In the case of EasyShare, they a

* Microsoft Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, Me, 2000, XP Home
Edition, or XP Professional operating system
* 233 MHz Pentium II processor
* 64 MB RAM (128 MB RAM for 2000 or XP)
* 200 MB available hard disk space
* Available USB port
* Color monitor with a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels, high color
(16-bit)
* CD-ROM drive
* Apple QuickTime player v6.3 or later to play a movie file

If you have these, which you likely do, the new software will work.

Enjoy, and talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old February 4th 06, 10:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

long eddy wrote:
"Ron Hunter" wrote in message:

Eddy,
No, not on your computer. Reinstall the older version, and wait
until you upgrade the computer to something current for changing to the
newer software.
I am sure you are aware that your computer is a museum piece. Sometimes
it is better to use the software designed for the older, slower,

computers.
--------------------------------------

That's what I did for the time being.

However, if the docking station dies and I want to use the 8 in 1 card
reader, I'm trying to figure out whether the newer Kodak software - 5.2 -
will be compatible with my Dell / Win98 / P III @ 350 mhz / 128mb RAM.

On the Kodak site - it says that 5.2 is is compatible with Win98.

Eddy

It may load, and run, but the software really needs a much faster
computer with much more ram. I recommend staying with the older
software until you update your computer hardware.
Old February 4th 06, 10:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ron Baird wrote:
long eddy wrote:
[...]

Work? Well, if one is terribly patient. The software runs very slowly
on my AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz system. I can't imagine anyone using it on
the mentioned system, and feeling anything but disgust.